New Update Discussion

D

Dutch

what do you mean by in the V sorry if thats a dumb question
The area between mid-on and mid-off to the left and the right of the bowler...from your feet as it were this has a shape of a v. Playing there is considered relatively safe because the bat is relatively straight and less prone to edges etcetera....

chaman82

County Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
I tried playing backfoot drives off good length (green) but I found them to be hit or miss. In case the good length delivery was a bit fuller I tend to miss the ball and get LBW or bowled. Playing the green colored deliveries on the front foot has been a safer option for me.

This point highlights the problem.

Backfoot play is non existent for the short of good length balls.
One gets bowled or lwd or miss hit the ball completely. This make the user to primary play on the front foot only.

If the batting machanisim allows the user to play these green good length balls properly , user has many options to play with a variety of shots, just like dbc14.(or may b even better than that)

christy_lenin1

Associate Cricketer
Profile Flag
India
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
From my observation, if you set the difficulty to custom and go to the gameplay modifiers and set the marker to show early then you should be good. Let us know if that helps?

For offline that's an option but I like to play with the predefined difficulty. Custom difficulty is not included for online and the gameplay modifier tile is locked. I think they did it deliberately as it will give unfair advantage\disadvantage for both the players.

Actually i felt the speed is realistic but considering the reaction time required to move the L-R stick it can be reduced. Whatever percentage they have increased if they decrease it by 40 to 50 % it should be perfect. Overall i started enjoying the game now :yes:thumbs

LittleBigPlanet

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Australia
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
@cricket_online @chaman82 you guys sure about that? Green ring = BACKFOOT and STRAIGHT, if you get width then you can play a backfoot drive through covers... but if its straight then block it or leave it if your confident of the bounce, if its outside off I just leave it, definitely dont try to play at green length just outside off on the FRONFOOT! The only time you should be using the FRONTFOOT is for YELLOW and DARK BLUE balls(haha dark blue balls). Is it just me or does it seem the new BACKFOOT drive animations work really really well for the green length balls?!

Last edited:

disco123

Associate Captain
Profile Flag
England
@BigAntStudios @MattW

Piece taken out of the Patch Notes Stickied :

There is a remaining issue that logos in downloaded teams are taking more memory than is available which is causing crashes in Career Mode and Competitions. “Get Best” will use standard logos from now on until this can be rectified. We are working on a way that Career mode teams will be updated upon subsequent downloads (i.e. they will be able to be changed visually). If your Career or Competition is currently crashing then you will need to do a "Get Best" and restart.

Can you please explain the above bit please .

I am not sure if I should download the Teams from the Academy , with or without the Logo`s . Can we skip the Get Best feature , and download them manually WITH/WITHOUT Logos ?

I only play Online and Custom matches , and in your Posting above it sounded like the Logo issue is only with regards to Career and Competitions .

Please advise .
Get Best is working!! So I found that if I do Get Best for BBL teams for example I get all the proper players, kits and logos on the kits/bats. The only thing missing is the team logo (although the team logo is still on the kit). This is far better than I expected, not having the team logo for the moment is a small price to pay for a working Get Best!

Can anyone else verify this as I have spent hours replacing teams , bats etc but I am unable to play due crashes as per FAQs advice. If I get best will I lose all my current teams with real palyers and logos or just play with those minus shirt logo. I took BA patch notes to mean all logos would be removed ?? Cheers

Last edited:

Acid Burn

International Coach
Profile Flag
South Africa
Here`s my "review" a play by play report of my first Online Pro20 match.

Me and Francois had our First Dabble at an Online Pro20 Last Night .

Me on a Stock Standard out of the box Sri Lanka , Francois on a downloaded SA side without any Logos on the Clothes .

I hosted the match , and on the first screen where the camera pans on the stadium , my first DBC17 crash :(

Game saved automatically , and after sending my report to Bigant via PS4 , I re-sent the Invite and off we went again , never to crash for the full length of the Match :)

I batted first , we played on Pro Difficulty , as my previous couple of Matches vs the AI on Custom I could not Time the ball well on Veteran .

I found Pro much easier and game progressed well .

Glitches in my Innings :
  1. Tried to play an Aggressive Ground Shot , missed it against the Spinner , and had the same weird stumping as in DBC14 where the batsman`s foot is sort of on the line but he doesnt know it and I cannot do anything about it.
  2. I missed a ball on leg Stump off the Spinner , it looked and sounded as if it clipped my pad , but on the replay we saw the weird animation of the ball hitting the pad properly , and then deflecting and then getting "sucked" back into the wickets , same as early DBC14 glitch .
  3. Hit a 4 once , and the Scorecard for the Over at the bottom of the page showed an 8
Observations from my Batting perspective :
  • I could hit leg glances behind square on fuller balls , not super fine but defnitly behind square .
  • Cover Drive region not able to be hit via Cover Drive , only by way of the Ugly Shot mentioned below.
  • Square drive does not exist , and is replaced by an awfull looking Chris Martin cut sort of a shot
  • 3rd man guide goes more in the gully region , and not as fine as in 14 . - Beware , dont play this shot vs. Spinners , as Superman with the Gloves WILL catch you out no matter what.
  • "Green" balls that I wanted to Leg glance , ends up in a funny looking Hook shot well in front of Square . Not pretty at all .
  • Mind you , I could not Hook anything to square or behind , all of them ends sort of in the Midwicket region .
  • Running between the wickets , looks funny when the batsman sort of dead stop and wait for the "possible" second run call . Just looks weird , why not have them follow through with bat stretched out and glide over the line . Sometimes I did see that happen , not sure why though . The running would also every now and again get out of "sync" , where the one batter would almost be at his crease and his mate has just taken off for his final run .
  • Shots never felt hit powerfully , although reaching the boundary , maybe its the sort of dullish sound that accompanies some of your hits .
  • Can someone please tell the Spinners to let a few balls get past them , they completely block the straight drive option a la DBC14 fast bowlers.
I managed to get 155/9 in my 20 Overs , so all in all probably not bad...

Change of Innings

Glitches in his Innings :
  1. He twice had instances where he hit the ball to a fielder and set off for a singles , only for him to end up running 3 runs and I sit with the ball in hand at the bowlers end after fielding the return throw with no means to break the stumps stop the running .
  2. He once had his batsman facing the Square Leg umpire in his Batting Stance , I ran in and Bowled (sneaky me) , and he promptly managed to block the ball from that stance .
  3. Quinton De Cencored was having a blast and holding the Innings together , when finally I bounced him out with a miss-timed hook shot to short Midwicket , only for me not being able to appeal after the Umpire didnt want to give him out after the catch was taken . Play went on as if nothing weird just happened .
Observations from my Bowling and Fielding perspective :
  • I still need to figure the new Bowling Mechanics out , as I could not get any revs on the ball , different to 14 in a big way .
  • The setting of your Field via the Direction Up , and then setting a field is a clunky , time wasting exercise , as you need to do this for every batsman and Bowler combination that is encountered . And if you want to fiddle with you Pre-set field a bit , and take too long , you get "locked" out of your Field placement menu for the rest of the over ??? Really a pissing me off exercise in setting fields. Bring back the 1 x Field for all or something similiar .
  • Direct hits from the Fielders were impossible to be had , can someone please explain the new Green bar on top of the Fielders, as nothing is mentioned in the Tutorials , or book . I kept stopping and releasing the ball on the little Blue Marker hoping that was the magic bullet but to no avail .
  • Following on to my failure to execute direct hits , my opponent basically played a "tip and run" game , and I could not stop it , as my Keeper and Bowler is in No rush whatsoever to take the Bails off a la DBC14 .
  • It felt like my Fielders were running their arses off sometimes , but never getting to the ball . SLOW
  • Fielders every now and again would just ignore a ball and let another poor bugger run his arse off to come and fetch it. I played on Semi Assisted Fielding
  • Sluggish responses from fielders all around meant that singles were inevitable , and many 3 and 5 runs were possible in the outfield.
He ended up chasing my score down via a couple of beautifully hit straight drives , which he said was the Aggressive Ground Stroke Variation .

This game has much potential , and I think with Two to Three Serious Patches to mostly sort the Glitches and Batting out , it could turn out to be a decent game .

But Batting wise , its going to struggle to surpass DBC14 ....

One can see that @MattW was on the QA , but surely only had a hand in the Bowling division . The Batting Department lacks polish and proper Shots/Animations to make it worthwile .

Like a couple of other Posters have mentioned , why break something that was working so beautifully ??

Thanks @BigAntStudios for the quick responses to the big Crash issues , here`s hoping that the follow up patches (2-3) make this a worthwhile successor to the greatest cricket game ever made.

Last edited:
D

Dutch

Not to rake up old coals but I just found this post by our old mate Varunchuey over at the BA forums: and I quote....

"Congratulations to Big Ant on a well developed game, and I really love the game play sliders."

Split personality?

DAP

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Not to rake up old coals but I just found this post by our old mate Varunchuey over at the BA forums: and I quote....

"Congratulations to Big Ant on a well developed game, and I really love the game play sliders."

Split personality?
Or some 'anti-troll' using his acct.

surendar

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
India
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Definitely game looks better after the patch with stability and critical fixes, but still had the game to crash in belbow scenario- will try to put it in bugs thread with the format.

• After downloading a player manually, game crashed to Xbox home screen when I tried to modify the bat of player. Tried modifying equipment for one player only so not sure whether it's consistently reproducible.
  • While viewing teams and stats in career mode screen game crashed.
  • Whenever I search with 50 as search results for stadium download from Academy, I always get Academy service not available error. It works for fetching 30 results.

BigAntStudios

@Ross
Big Ant
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
The crashes are due to the memory being taken by logos - avoid them for now.

The Get Best has no logos, if you manually get teams with them then we can't be sure of what you've downloaded.

Scott Clague

Club Cricketer
I have installed the new patch and followed the steps given in the FAQ and below are my observation

Get best is working now with whatever teams are available and haven't faced any crash till now
UI is faster than before
Gameplay speed has been increased which makes me feel its completely a different game now. I don't know if they did any tweaking on the AI but I felt I played against a human. The shot selection was very good. I will upload the video later you can see it yourself
Online multiplayer difficulty level was added. I played a 10 over match in veteran difficulty and was able to score less than 75.
I made a suggestion to include the preview/selection of kits in the game lobby. They have added this option to select the kit from different formats :)
The speed of the throw and keepers reaction are quicker now. Not completely fixed but much much better than before also keeper diving unnecessarily was reduced

My only concern with the above patch is, now the pace has been increased and I feel its too fast. I can't judge the ball anything above 130. I get perfect timing only if i press the button immediately the ball was released from the hand.

The rest of the gameplay issues/bugs still remain. No doubt they will fix it at the earliest possible.

I really appreciate the time they took to fix the crash and other improvements in less than a week is remarkable,
Many thanks to @BigAntStudios
Great post!..Are there enough teams from Get Best with which to start a career with? I have to ask...my copies sitting under the tree and I can't open it yet!...

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
now this is exactly right, and for good reason, because those green lengths aren't always the same, the same way that when you bowl you can elect green length then pitch it up a bit or a bit shorter with the bumper buttons.

you see green and think "oh back foot shot through covers' when in reality its a tad fuller then a normal green delivery and you have misplayed the shot!

i think this is outstanding!

*edit* oh and dont forget the pitch conditions, a hard wicket will make those green balls bounce even more!!! :)

That's why when I see green indicator i play off the front foot as the risk is less. You can play slightly back of length good length deliveries (green) much easier off the front foot than the fuller good length deliveries (green) off the back foot.

Last edited:

Scott Clague

Club Cricketer
The fact that they listen to us and take our feedback is the best part.

Online difficulty added.
Fielders are better now.(ai)

More work needed in the following areas-

..Running by batsman to looked at (it's still very fast).May b a seperate attribute.
.. Batting backfoot play
..Batting missing cover arc region
..Pro cam camera movement
..Pro cam cheking batsman guard
..Pro cam sight screen reflection issue
..Field editor preset issue.
Agreed...I've been on this forum quite a bit in the last few days and (even though I haven't opened my copy yet) it sounds as if improvements are on going pretty much all the time just from reading various posts. Nice 1 BA!

Users who are viewing this thread