Draft: Not another T20 Draft!

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
PlanetCricket Award Winner
That brings up an entirely new kettle of fish. Should a fully recognised team play their first eleven against an "associate"?
They should play whatever eleven best serves their interest at the time. If it's a global competition of course you should - if it's a "friendly" series in the middle of a packed international schedule then yeah - you rest a couple of guys

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
They should play whatever eleven best serves their interest at the time. If it's a global competition of course you should - if it's a "friendly" series in the middle of a packed international schedule then yeah - you rest a couple of guys

Gals you mean. But yeah, I see where you're getting at and I don't disagree. It skews people who look at stats only, but it is what it is. Which is why a couple of my picks won't be based on stats, actually.

mohsin7827

International Coach
India
CSK
Birmingham Phoenix
X Rebels
Should I have been a little early Sarah Taylor might have been in my XI.
She was going to be my next pick,

Nevertheless good pick @Aislabie
Fantastic starts with first picks well done all.

Now I need to think about next pick

With around or about 30 minutes to go for @Aislabie to make his pick, I'll say it's fair game for @mohsin7827 to have his second slot filled.

ahmedleo414

The Butcher
PAK...
LQ
The Boys
Profile Flag
Canada
i remember watching that when it was first posted a couple years ago she seems a pretty good person overall

mohsin7827

International Coach
India
CSK
Birmingham Phoenix
X Rebels
images (12).jpeg
Deandra Dottin

Bio from cricket.com.au

"I decided to go after everything," was what Deandra Dottin was quoted to have said after smashing a 38-ball ton against South Africa during the 2010 World Twenty20. This incredible century was then the fastest by any cricketer, male or female, in T20I cricket. It still remains to be the fastest by a woman in the format.

Less than a year earlier, Dottin was involved in another blitzkrieg - a 22-ball half-century against Australia in the 2009 World Twenty20, which was then the fastest by a woman in the format. To put things in perspective, the batting superstar had made her ODI and T20I debuts only a year earlier - against Ireland in June 2008.

Dottin has also contributed as an occasional pace bowler, picking up 9 wickets at 13.55 during West Indies' victorious 2016 World Twenty20 campaign. This included figures of 2-33 in the final.

@ahmedleo414

ahmedleo414

The Butcher
PAK...
LQ
The Boys
Profile Flag
Canada
Next pick Anya Shrubsole

skysports-anya-shrubsole-muneeba-ali_4933332.jpg

Stats||Matches||Wkts||BBI||:bwl: Ave||Econ||5w/4w
T20 (as per BBL stats)| |124| |145| |5/11| |18.17| |6.18| |2/2
T20i| |79| |102| |5/11| |15.55| |5.95| |1/2
A bit of her bio from cricket.com.au:

"Medium-pacer Anya Shrubsole started off her domestic career playing for Somerset and later the England Development Squad in 2007.

She made her ODI and T20I debuts in August 2008, claiming 3 for 19 in the latter. Following consistent performances at the international level, Shrubsole won the Most Promising Young Women's Cricketer Award at the end of the 2008 season.

Shrubsole's first five-wicket haul in T20Is came against New Zealand in early 2012 - her figures of 5-11 remains to be the best by any English woman in this format.

Known for her ability to swing the ball both ways as well as generate pace, Shrubsole has an impeccable record in World Cups too. She was named Player of the Tournament in the 2014 ICC Women's World Twenty20, returning a tally of 13 wickets at an average of 7.53.

In the 2017 Women's Cricket World Cup final, she was named player of the match for her 6-46."

A bit of her bio from cricinfo:

"A pace bowler best known for her lethal inswingers, Anya Shrubsole is Somerset born and bred and has represented her native county since she was 12 years old. Under the guidance of her father Ian, a former Minor Counties cricketer, she was brought up playing boys cricket at Bath Cricket Club and at age 13 became the first girl to join the Somerset Academy.

She was called up to the England Development Squad in 2007 on the back of a career-best performance for Somerset, in which - opening the bowling - she took 7 for 28 and bowled Surrey out for 104. After impressing for the Development Squad against South Africa in August and in the European Championship later that summer, she received an England summons the following year and made her ODI and T20 debuts in August 2008 against South Africa. She took 3 for 19 on T20 debut and was named Player of the Match.

She won the Most Promising Young Women's Cricketer Award at the end of the 2008 season and was called up to England's squad for the 2009 World Cup. Though she played just one game in that tournament, she has since become a mainstay of England's bowling line-up, spearheading their attack alongside Katherine Brunt; bowling at speeds of 70mph plus in combination with the ability to swing the ball both ways, proving supremely effective.

Her first international five-wicket haul came at Wellington against New Zealand in February 2012: she took 5 for 11, the best bowling performance by an English woman in T20Is. Her first ODI five-for swiftly followed, against South Africa in the 2013 World Cup. She made her Test debut against Australia in August that year, and in the Perth Test of 2014 took 7 for 99 and was instrumental in England's victory.

Her reputation was cemented during the 2014 World Twenty20, when she finished the tournament as leading wicket taker with 13 wickets at 7.53, including a phenomenal spell against India which saw her finish with figures of 3 for 6. She was named Player of the Tournament as a result."

ahmedleo414's playing XI:
  1. ?
  2. ?
  3. ?
  4. :aus: :ar: Ellyse Perry
  5. ?
  6. ?
  7. ?
  8. :eng: :bwl: Anya Shrubsole
  9. ?
  10. ?
  11. ?
@Yash. you got next

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
I'll take Smriti Mandhana as my second opening batter. Beware bowlers, Healy and Mandhana can eat any lineup alive.

Aislabie

Ireland
1610104177007.png

:aus: :ar: Ash Gardner

T20I stats
- 737 runs @ 22.33 (SR: 129.52, best 93) and 23 wickets @ 23.86 (econ 6.80, best 3/22) in 43 matches

Batting VARP (top order) :up: 19.89%

It's perfectly understandable for someone's VARP to suffer slightly from having to share the top-order role with Meg Lanning (who averages almost 50 in those matches), but Ash Gardner's hitting power is second to none. In a side that already has a good accumulator, we needed someone who can go out and hit a bunch of sixes. Gardner also offers a spinning option, but I don't really expect to use that.

3. :eng: :wk: Sarah Taylor (accumulator, wicket-keeper)
4. :aus: :ar: Ashleigh Gardner (hitter)

Last edited:

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
I've got a great opening batter, I need a great opening bowler. There doesn't seem to be too much of a focus on seam bowling as there is with the men's game, but there are a few standout seamers around there, with some to look forward to in the future.

One of those who has really hit her stride over the past year or two is Megan Schutt. She started the World Cup off in a distinctly average manner, but somewhere around halfway she just seemed to switch on and the wickets just kept coming her way. I can't count on anything from her with that bat, but that's maybe how it should be. Let her focus on bowling, and bowling fast and accurate.

2. Stafanie Taylor :wi:
11. Megan Schutt :aus:

@Yash.

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Natalie Sciver to be the first all rounder in my team.[DOUBLEPOST=1609788388][/DOUBLEPOST]@qpeedore

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
The face of Indian women's cricket for so many years, Mithali Raj has a list of achievements that can last from here until tomorrow. And despite no longer playing internationally, she's still very active (and very prolific) in various tournaments and leagues in India. She's not known as an aggressive player, but she has pulled her team out of a hole or three in the past. She's one of those players I always talk about that's so key to a T20 team - they have yet to raise their bat in anger, but suddenly they're on 35 off of 25 and you have no idea where those runs came from. And yet, she can accelerate when needed. She's a perfect partner to Taylor at the top, giving her partner license to attack but also pushing the singles and twos hard. If I find a better opener (unlikely), she can bat all the way down to 5, with good stats right through.

1. Mithali Raj :ind:
2. Stafanie Taylor :wi:
11. Megan Schutt :aus:

@Aislabie

Aislabie

Ireland
1610105272693.png

:ind: :bat: Shafali Verma

T20I stats
- 487 runs @ 27.05 (SR: 146.24, best 93) in 19 matches

Batting VARP (opener) :up: 68.45%

Yeah, I've straight-up gone and picked a 16-year-old whose career has barely started in the third round, but Shafali Verma's ability to score at nine runs per over while hitting a six every sixteen balls is a complete evolution of batting in the women's game. She's still got a whole lot of self-improvement to do - what 16-year-old doesn't? - but she's already one of the best in the world at what she does.

1. :ind: :bat: Shafali Verma (hitter)
3. :eng: :wk: Sarah Taylor (accumulator, wicket-keeper)
4. :aus: :ar: Ashleigh Gardner (hitter)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread