Old Threads

bumbisoft

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
I just want to suggest that to minimize bumping of old threads just close any thread without a post for 6 months. Open it only if the thread starter wants it open.

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
What for? It would mean that there would be masses of extra threads around and new members couldn't post questions in old ones. There is nothing wrong with bumping old threads if it's relevant.

bumbisoft

International Coach
What for? It would mean that there would be masses of extra threads around and new members couldn't post questions in old ones. There is nothing wrong with bumping old threads if it's relevant.

Then why to send pms warning us about bumping old threads. It also wastes forums space. And suppose someone has a problem with one of my patches in my thread but for a year no one has posted anything. You lock my thread. They can ask it in the cricket 07 downloads help desk. I am also seeing people requesting momo's thread, is that relevant?

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
Then why to send pms warning us about bumping old threads.
Forward them on to an admin if you feel they aren't right. Bumping is a specific thing - where you're posting something pointless in an old thread to bring it up to the front page - that isn't acceptable.

Otherwise, the correct thread to post something is the one where it is most relevant, regardless of the age of the thread.

Obviously it's a bit of an exception with people who have stopped modding games - but we usually accept requests for download threads to be closed from people who have stopped.

In a general sense - across the entire forum I vastly prefer that threads simply fall back in the listings rather than specifically closing threads. Being an older discussion alone isn't a reason not to post.

As with anything, if you feel an old thread has been pointlessly posted in, report the post, don't reply.

bumbisoft

International Coach
You are right to an extent in my opinion. But I disagree with the 3rd para. What happens is that suppose X says 'hey matt, your bpl overlay is not working.' (your thread is is inactive) someone sees it in the front of the listing and someone says 'make overlay Y.' Posts keep coming, maybe 10 posts when you are 99% not going to do anything. Isn't that what is happening, for example in momo's thread?

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
If people don't want requests, set your download thread as 'Requests Off'. People who make requests in a thread that does not accept them will have posts deleted/warned/infracted as appropriate. Again, report them, don't reply.

bumbisoft

International Coach
If people don't want requests, set your download thread as 'Requests Off'. People who make requests in a thread that does not accept them will have posts deleted/warned/infracted as appropriate. Again, report them, don't reply.

Momo is inactive, he can't change the thread title, can he?

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
Momo is inactive, he can't change the thread title, can he?
Luckily it already has Requests Off on it.

Which means everything is working as intended - except for people replying instead of reporting.

bumbisoft

International Coach
Luckily it already has Requests Off on it.

Which means everything is working as intended - except for people replying instead of reporting.

People are requesting, I should report, right?

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
Obviously making a thread complaining about it has meant I've gone and deleted the relevant posts from that thread.

bumbisoft

International Coach
Obviously making a thread complaining about it has meant I've gone and deleted the relevant posts from that thread.

Meant as being rude to me:mad or happy with me:)?

----------

Hellllllo! Momo's thread is deleted?

bumbisoft

International Coach
Why are you furious? How, by the way do I forward it to an admin? Just report it, right?

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
How, by the way do I forward it to an admin?
If you are referring to PMs, view the PM, click the aptly named 'Forward' button and then type MattW into the 'Recipient Username(s)' field - add a message explaining your problem with it down below the quoted PM and then click submit.

Biggs

This guy gets it
BGZ..
Profile Flag
New Zealand (Silver Fern)
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Now I know how PMs magically happen... Matt, how do magnets work?

Users who are viewing this thread