Cant connect to server problem....

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
Well I've had timeouts for the last 40 mins and have been restarting the server etc but it seems, from the posts, that the site has been up for everyone else... :doh

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
DNS issues could have a variety of causes. If we can find any geographical similarities, we can debug the issue further. From my point of view, I've had no problems accessing the server.

I'm looking forward to the results of Kshitiz's experiments with OpenDNS instead of the ISP's DNS.

sohum added 5 Minutes and 32 Seconds later...

Forgive my utter ignorance: I have as much knowledge of DNS as Oprah Winfrey has of Ski-jumping. what is it and is that something to do with PC's server or my computer??:help
DNS stands for Domain Name System. Basically speaking, according to computers, websites aren't located at domain names, they're located IP addresses. The domain name system is an abstraction on top of the IP layer so that humans don't have to memorize IP addresses. Imagine if you had to type in Google to get to Google.com!

There's then the fundamental problem of how we convert these domain names that we are entering into an IP address that the computer can understand. It wouldn't work just to have a central database, because as soon as that DB went down, the internet would be inaccessible. Each ISP typically provides it's own DNS server that is responsible for this conversion as well as other services. Hence, if your DNS is down, typing in the websites address will not result in a match and the website won't load.

Check out the Wikipedia Article for more info.

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
Time to upgrade and rent a new server...
That's something we look close to doing, we've been discussing options with our hosting company and we should be able to shift to a more capable server in the near future, with the cost of a day or so of being entirely offline to allow us to move everything over.

Aoun13

Chairman of Selectors
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Me too is having same problem from last 4 days almost. Only PC is giving me this error.

P Squared

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
It also happens sometimes to me... but I just exit the webpage and reload it.

Users who are viewing this thread