• Poll closed .

ahmedleo414

The Butcher
PAK...
LQ
The Boys
Profile Flag
Canada
I tagged him, so it’s my mistake. Would be out of order to penalise him for my mistake.

Agreed, it was an honest mistake that's why I am over looking it...

Moving on to my pick Adam Voges played his first test in 2015 and final test in 2016, that is my pick from 2010s

510040958-voges-sport_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqbK0urejMq6gfhCOBjjvGTTKD2nb0EbIRN9rhAdrYDUg.jpg

Stats|Matches|Runs|HS|Batting Ave|100s/50s
First-Class |211|13,881|269*|46.42|32/72
Test |20|1,485|269*|61.87|5/4
Here is his bio from wiki:

"Voges made his Test debut for Australia in June 2015, aged 35, and scored a century on debut against the West Indies. He recorded a second century in November 2015, against New Zealand, and later scored 269 not out, 106 not out, and 239 in consecutive innings from December 2015 to February 2016, breaking Sachin Tendulkar's record for the most runs between dismissals in Test cricket.

In February 2017, Voges announced his retirement from international cricket. With an average of 61.87 in 20 Test appearances, he is regarded as one of the great batsmen amongst the ones who had a late debut...

...In April 2015, Voges was called up to the Australian Test Cricket squad for the first time in his career for the away Test series against the West Indies and England, respectively. He made his maiden Test century on his debut against the West Indies in Dominica in June 2015. He also became the oldest Test debut centurion, and the oldest player to win a man-of-the-match award on Test debut. His baggy green cap was presented by Brendon Julian. Voges was named as stand-in test Vice-Captain for Australia after David Warner suffered a thumb fracture during the ODI series against England from the bowling of Steven Finn.

On 11 December 2015, Voges eclipsed the Bellerive Oval's scoring record, passing Ricky Ponting's record of 209 runs. He then surpassed Doug Walters' record of 242 for the highest score by an Australian against the West Indies. This was also his second century against West Indies.

At the age of 36 and 68 days, the Western Australian is the fourth-oldest Australian to achieve the feat behind Test greats Sir Donald Bradman, Allan Border and Ricky Ponting. Jack Ryder is the only other Australian to have posted a Test double ton beyond the age of 35.

This also makes him the oldest Australian to join the list of test double-centurions, the other three having each scored double-tons in younger years. The 449-run partnership between Voges and Shaun Marsh in this match is the highest 4th wicket partnership in Test cricket history, the highest partnership in Australia, the highest against the West Indies, and the second-highest in Tests for Australia. It is also the sixth-highest ever partnership in Test history. In the Boxing Day Test, he became the third batsman to score over 1000 runs in his debut year (Mark Taylor with 1219 runs in 1989 and Alastair Cook with 1013 in 2006).

On 13 February 2016, during the First Test against New Zealand, Voges made his second Test double-century, scoring 239. During this innings, Voges broke the world record for the highest number of runs without a dismissal having previously scored 269* and 106* against the West Indies, for a total of 614, beating the previous record set by Sachin Tendulkar of 497.[4] When he reached 172 not out his Test average passed 100, although when he was dismissed it dropped back to 97.46. His performances over the 2015–16 season were statistically some of the best of all time, scoring 969 runs at an average of 161.50, with only Bradman (twice) recording more than 500 runs at a higher season average.

For his performances in 2016, he was named in the World Test XI by the ICC."

My playing XI:

1. ?
  2. ?
  3. ?
  4. :aus: :bat: Bob Cowper 1960s
  5. :aus: :bat: Adam Voges 2010s
  6. ?
  7. ?
  8. ?
  9. ?
  10. ?
  11. ?

@Aislabie you have the next two picks (as well as the last pick you missed a total of 3)

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
PlanetCricket Award Winner
ryan-harris-1472801346-800.jpg

:aus: :bwl: Ryan Harris

Decade
: 2010s
Test stats: 603 runs @ 21.53 (best 74) and 113 wickets @ 23.52 (5 5WI, best 7/117) in 27 matches
First-class: 2,056 runs @ 20.15 (best 94) and 303 wickets @ 26.55 (10 5WI, best 7/60) in 82 matches

Ryan Harris was an absolute monster for Australia, prepared to quite literally put himself on the operating table if that was what it would take to win a match for Australia. Very few players have ever so embodied the notion of giving 100% whilst remaining dignified and respectful to everyone around them. Harris wasn't what you'd think of as the most natural or talented fast bowler, but through sheer force of will he would turn Tests on their head. Ultimately, he bowled himself into an early retirement by taking a match-winning four for 32 against South Africa, getting into a 25th over on a broken tibia. Shit you not, he bowled one of the all-time great spells with a broken leg.

Legend.

Aislabie

Ireland
Shane+Bond+First+Test+New+Zealand+v+Pakistan+Zg5mtiNV9YJl.jpg

:nzf: :bwl: Shane Bond

Decade
: 2000s
Test stats: 87 wickets @ 22.09 (5 5WI, best 22.09) in 18 matches
First-class stats: 225 wickets @ 24.35 (12 5WI, best 7/66) in 60 matches

You know what can win you cricket matches against pretty much any opposition? World class fast bowling. Taking the new ball with Ryan Harris will be New Zealand's Shane Bond, a man who I would firmly rank as one of the very finest fast bowlers of all time, despite the fact that his body seemed to be waging a constant war against his career. Indeed, the observation has been made that Bond's occasional cricketing appearances interrupted his injury career. But what appearances they were - he and Richard Hadlee stand alone as the great Kiwi bowlers.

In 2016, Brisbane Heat released GoPro footage of Chris Lynn absolutely pumping their bowlers in a net session. All apart from one promising looking net bowler who's bowling gas with a fluid action. Lynn gets a couple away off him, but struggles to get anything away; nicks off a couple of times. That stand-out bowler was 41-year-old bowling coach Shane Bond.

ahmedleo414

The Butcher
PAK...
LQ
The Boys
Profile Flag
Canada
Hey @Aislabie unfortunately you can't keep both Shane bond and Ryan Harris as they are both from 2010s, you can only have one per decade

Nvm, I think you just mistyped Shane bond is from 2000s and Ryan is 2010s... So you're all good

Last edited:

Aislabie

Ireland
game-over.jpg

:saf: :bwl: Fanie de Villiers

Decade
: 1990s
Test stats: 85 wickets @ 24.27 (5 5WI, best 6/23) in 18 matches
First-class stats: 427 wickets @ 22.37 (23 5WI, best 7/80) in 102 matches

The third piece of my pace bowling puzzle, Fanie de Villiers wasn't quite the express paceman that Bond and Harris were, but was able to operate in the high 80s and get "just enough" nibble away from the bat that his steepling bounce would catch the shoulder and skew off to gully. Spending his Test career in the shadow of Allan Donald meant that de Villiers was underrated by most, but despite not being able to start his Test career until nearly 30 years of age, he was a very potent weapon for post-readmission South Africa.

Honestly I'm shocked that I managed to get all three of my first-choice fast bowlers.

@Aislabie 's XI so far:
9. :aus: :bwl: Ryan Harris
10. :saf: :bwl: Fanie de Villiers
11. :nzf: :bwl: Shane Bond

@blockerdave

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
ryan-harris-1472801346-800.jpg

:aus: :bwl: Ryan Harris

Decade
: 2010s
Test stats: 603 runs @ 21.53 (best 74) and 113 wickets @ 23.52 (5 5WI, best 7/117) in 27 matches
First-class: 2,056 runs @ 20.15 (best 94) and 303 wickets @ 26.55 (10 5WI, best 7/60) in 82 matches

Ryan Harris was an absolute monster for Australia, prepared to quite literally put himself on the operating table if that was what it would take to win a match for Australia. Very few players have ever so embodied the notion of giving 100% whilst remaining dignified and respectful to everyone around them. Harris wasn't what you'd think of as the most natural or talented fast bowler, but through sheer force of will he would turn Tests on their head. Ultimately, he bowled himself into an early retirement by taking a match-winning four for 32 against South Africa, getting into a 25th over on a broken tibia. Shit you not, he bowled one of the all-time great spells with a broken leg.

Legend.

amazing pick. what a tremendous bowler Harris was.

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Shane+Bond+First+Test+New+Zealand+v+Pakistan+Zg5mtiNV9YJl.jpg

:nzf: :bwl: Shane Bond

Decade
: 2000s
Test stats: 87 wickets @ 22.09 (5 5WI, best 22.09) in 18 matches
First-class stats: 225 wickets @ 24.35 (12 5WI, best 7/66) in 60 matches

You know what can win you cricket matches against pretty much any opposition? World class fast bowling. Taking the new ball with Ryan Harris will be New Zealand's Shane Bond, a man who I would firmly rank as one of the very finest fast bowlers of all time, despite the fact that his body seemed to be waging a constant war against his career. Indeed, the observation has been made that Bond's occasional cricketing appearances interrupted his injury career. But what appearances they were - he and Richard Hadlee stand alone as the great Kiwi bowlers.

In 2016, Brisbane Heat released GoPro footage of Chris Lynn absolutely pumping their bowlers in a net session. All apart from one promising looking net bowler who's bowling gas with a fluid action. Lynn gets a couple away off him, but struggles to get anything away; nicks off a couple of times. That stand-out bowler was 41-year-old bowling coach Shane Bond.
I had thought of taking him, but then settled for Jaffer, to get better on the batting front.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
My choice is Hedley Verity.

Verity was a fantastic left arm spin bowler who took 1956 first class wickets at an average of just 14.90. In 40 tests he took 144 wickets at 24.37 and an economy rate of just 1.88. Verity played in an age when batsmen generally had the upper-hand - he played in the era of Bradman, Sutcliffe, Hammond etc.

Verity lost not only a chunk of his career but indeed his life to world war two.

He played exclusively in the 30s.

@Yash.

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
upload_2020-5-6_12-54-3.jpeg

My pick is Josh Hazlewood.

Exclusively played in the 2010s (as of now).

Tests - 195 Wickets @ 26.20 in 51 Matches (7 5WI)
First Class - 334 Wickets @ 24.50 in 89 Matches (9 5WI)

Josh Hazlewood is one of the best current test bowlers, relying on his steep bounce and acurate line and length to trouble the batsman. His main feature is his control. He rarely leaks any runs as is shown by his economy of 2.78 in Tests and 2.77 in First Class. He’ll be perfect to lead my pace bowling attack.[DOUBLEPOST=1588750216][/DOUBLEPOST]@Bevab if he can.
Otherwise, @VC the slogger

ahmedleo414

The Butcher
PAK...
LQ
The Boys
Profile Flag
Canada
My choice is Hedley Verity.

Verity was a fantastic left arm spin bowler who took 1956 first class wickets at an average of just 14.90. In 40 tests he took 144 wickets at 24.37 and an economy rate of just 1.88. Verity played in an age when batsmen generally had the upper-hand - he played in the era of Bradman, Sutcliffe, Hammond etc.

Verity lost not only a chunk of his career but indeed his life to world war two.

He played exclusively in the 30s.

@Yash.

great pick.. makes my life a little easier, i was stuck between him and another player from the 30s

ahmedleo414

The Butcher
PAK...
LQ
The Boys
Profile Flag
Canada
@VC the slogger missed his window, so I have the next pick

I am going with Tony Greig played his first test in 1972 and final in 1977 so he is my pick from 1970s

tony-grieg-1_2438891b.jpg

Stats|Matches|Runs|HS|:bat: Ave|100s/50s|Wkts|BBI|BBM|:bwl: Ave|Econ|5w/10w
First-Class |350|16,660|226|31.19|26/96|856|8/25|?|28.85|2.84|33/8
Test |58|3,599|148|40.43|8/20|141|8/86|13/156|32.20|2.77|6/2
Here is his bio from wiki:

"At 6 feet 6 inches, Tony Greig stood head-and-shoulders above team-mates on the field, and had the confidence and charisma to go with it, making up for shortcomings of technique with the bat and pace with the ball by sheer personality and an irrepressible love of the contest. The controversial conclusion of his career, as one of the first and firmest disciples of Kerry Packer, have tended to obscure his all-round accomplishments: in the mid-1970s, there was no more complete cricketer, and he bequeathed to his successor as England's captain, Mike Brearley, a thoroughly professional and close-knit side.

Born in Queenstown, South Africa, son of a harsh and demanding Scottish father, he trialled for Sussex in 1965 as a teenager and prospered, then set himself the goal of representing England following the route already described, in different circumstances, by the Cape Coloured Basil D'Oliveira. Considered good enough to represent Rest of the World when that ensemble toured Australia in 1971-2, he met his deadline by earning a Test cap for the subsequent home Ashes series, making half-centuries in each innings of his debut and taking five wickets.

In fact, for a mercurial character, he showed notable consistency and versatility: he made Test matches hundreds in fields as far flung as Bombay, Bridgetown and Brisbane, and against the likes of Lillee and Thomson, Roberts and Holding, Bedi and Chandra. He had a homespun style, bat aloft long before it became fashionable, based on long reach and booming drives, while his bowling depended on bounce, aggression and smarts: with a sideline in off-spin, he winkled out 13 wickets at Port-of-Spain to help England draw a series in the Caribbean.

Greig's zenith as captain was in India, where his skill, swagger and extroversion appealed to locals even as their team was well-beaten. More grudgingly admired in Australia, he nonetheless won great kudos from England' s bold chase in the Centenary Test. In its aftermath, however, he made the acquaintance of Packer, another son of a harsh and demanding father, seeking to make his mark. Greig became not just a signatory but a secret recruiting agent for the entrepreneur's inchoate professional cricket circuit. When the enterprise was made public, his stocks plummeted: he lost not just England's captaincy, but what would have been a record-breaking benefit. He was diminished, too, by his indifferent on-field performances in World Series Cricket, where he seemed to cast himself as pantomime villain. Nonetheless, subsequent generations of professional cricketers owe him a debt of gratitude.

He joined Packer's Channel 9 as a commentator, working for the TV station for more than 30 years, alongside other Test captains Richie Benaud, Ian Chappell and Bill Lawry. In 2012, Greig was diagnosed with lung cancer. A few months later he succumbed to a heart attack."

My playing XI:

1. ?
  2. ?
  3. ?
  4. :aus: :bat: Bob Cowper 1960s
  5. :aus: :bat: Adam Voges 2010s
  6. :eng: :ar: Tony Greig 1970s
  7. ?
  8. ?
  9. ?
  10. ?
  11. ?

@Aislabie back to you sir

VC the slogger

PlanetCricket Forever
India
AFG...
Stan McCabe from the 1930s please. Perhaps the only batsman to ever make even Bradman jealous with his strokeplay and someone who bossed it during the Bodyline series.[DOUBLEPOST=1588867102][/DOUBLEPOST]That’s 3 writeups due from my side. Will get on them right away.

Aislabie

Ireland
Well I've missed quite a few players there due to my refusal to leave the fast bowling hype train. So to rectify it, I'm going to stay on said hype train and complete my pace quartet with :wi: :bwl: Tony Gray. It may be becoming obvious that I'm trying to build an entertaining team above all.

@ahmedleo414 I think?

Users who are viewing this thread