Discussion Online Play General Discussion

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
Online experience varies quite a bit from game to game. For example I had a pretty glitchy game yesterday where yorkers were called no-balls for height, bowling a batsman didn't result in a wkt, played a shot and saw the ball go towards the boundary but suddenly got a 'bad luck mate' message with ball magically appearing near the stumps, ball going past the fielders and when I started taking a run the ball suddenly teleported back to the fielder resulting in a run out.
:lol That sounds extremely glitchy...

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
It comes down to the basics of the internet - it's very expensive to provide for giving everyone their data at the fastest speed at all times - so they don't - ISPs try and provide for the average usage and let people accept the occasional spikes in demand and slower speeds at those times.

There's graphs here showing the internet data usage by hour across India - there's a spike at 5pm, and there's lower usage in the early hours of the day.

For gaming, you need your packets to get to the other user as quickly as possible - so when there's a lot of users, you just fall down the queue or go missing entirely - which means the game can't keep up and the experience gets worse.

That graph is pretty much the same everywhere in the world - 5pm is people getting home from work/school and getting online. Then if you add to that playing against someone overseas - you're adding local congestion to the distance problem - at both ends.

I'd also again make the point - wireless connections add a lot of latency. If at all possible, run an ethernet cable to your console/PC when playing online games - those split seconds make a difference.

One side could be better or worse than the other - I'd suggest just looking at what parts of the game are slow - if you get the ball taking ages after you bowl it to actually see it bowl, that's the batsman's connection; if you hit it and don't see anything in the field until it's too late, that's the bowler - trying to sync their side up with where you hit it.

Against all of that, the game needs to be fast enough so that you can see the other player set off for a run and know which end to throw at, and then have both sides synced up as to whether you make it or not.

The extra little bit of traffic at peak times is enough to push that over to being unplayably long - or at least, cause weird visual mismatches - for me the worst is watching a ball clearly go past a fielder and then getting caught or run out - with the replay showing it warping back to the fielder. Luckilly that's usually balanced by the throw from the fielder and the kludgy movement of the wicket keeper being enough to complete a run.

People using automatic fielding online might have an easier job of it in terms of getting the right throw off - but the AI fielding is idiotic at picking the right end to go for, so it balances out.

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
It comes down to the basics of the internet - it's very expensive to provide for giving everyone their data at the fastest speed at all times - so they don't - ISPs try and provide for the average usage and let people accept the occasional spikes in demand and slower speeds at those times.

There's graphs here showing the internet data usage by hour across India - there's a spike at 5pm, and there's lower usage in the early hours of the day.

For gaming, you need your packets to get to the other user as quickly as possible - so when there's a lot of users, you just fall down the queue or go missing entirely - which means the game can't keep up and the experience gets worse.

That graph is pretty much the same everywhere in the world - 5pm is people getting home from work/school and getting online. Then if you add to that playing against someone overseas - you're adding local congestion to the distance problem - at both ends.

I'd also again make the point - wireless connections add a lot of latency. If at all possible, run an ethernet cable to your console/PC when playing online games - those split seconds make a difference.

One side could be better or worse than the other - I'd suggest just looking at what parts of the game are slow - if you get the ball taking ages after you bowl it to actually see it bowl, that's the batsman's connection; if you hit it and don't see anything in the field until it's too late, that's the bowler - trying to sync their side up with where you hit it.

Against all of that, the game needs to be fast enough so that you can see the other player set off for a run and know which end to throw at, and then have both sides synced up as to whether you make it or not.

The extra little bit of traffic at peak times is enough to push that over to being unplayably long - or at least, cause weird visual mismatches - for me the worst is watching a ball clearly go past a fielder and then getting caught or run out - with the replay showing it warping back to the fielder. Luckilly that's usually balanced by the throw from the fielder and the kludgy movement of the wicket keeper being enough to complete a run.

People using automatic fielding online might have an easier job of it in terms of getting the right throw off - but the AI fielding is idiotic at picking the right end to go for, so it balances out.
Thanks a lot for the detailed explanation and its in understandable terms as well..;)

But regarding connecting the console with Ethernet cable, will any kind of cable do or need a high quality for better performance??

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
Like MattW mentioned the more glitches are at 4-6 pm or maybe till 8pm in India, played a game now and was glitchy enough...

@MattW Will it improve even in these hours if I play with wired connection or is it better to avoid those hours of play??

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
Like MattW mentioned the more glitches are at 4-6 pm or maybe till 8pm in India, played a game now and was glitchy enough...

@MattW Will it improve even in these hours if I play with wired connection or is it better to avoid those hours of play??
Every little thing you can do to improve your connection helps - and in some cases could be the thing that puts your connection up to a point where the game is ideal, or at least very playable.

When you should avoid playing would depend on what level of glitches you can put up with, and how good your connection is in general. Some people would have connections that can better cope with peak demand, some ISPs even offer gaming line profiles - where they tune some settings on their end to make things best for gaming.

One suggestion I do make - is to play a quick match to see how the connection is before you go to resume a longer format save game or play a match in one of the leagues/tournaments on here.

Maybe play people overseas during that mid-evening time - that way you're only having one side impacted by local congestion, rather than both.

sanmoy sadhukhan

School Cricketer
Guys, this is more of a question coming from noob....i have been trying to play DBC cricket 14 online, but whenever i go online and search for matches or tournaments, it just says searching for a long time and nothing happens!!!

Can someone help me understand is that normal that there is no matches to be found or am i doing something wrong?? Many thanks

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Guys, this is more of a question coming from noob....i have been trying to play DBC cricket 14 online, but whenever i go online and search for matches or tournaments, it just says searching for a long time and nothing happens!!!

Can someone help me understand is that normal that there is no matches to be found or am i doing something wrong?? Many thanks

Verify your game and it should all be sorted.

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India

Here:

Accessing the Don Bradman Cricket 14 Downloads Forum - Don Bradman Cricket 14 Forum on PlanetCricket Forums

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
@fiction :Due to the absence of square drive in the game..It has become very unrealistic due because of absence of square drive in the game...

This is field set by most of the players...

Field.png

Would be great if its possible to add that shot to the game..Or a way to tweak the existing animations to play the shot in that area...

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
@fiction :Due to the absence of square drive in the game..It has become very unrealistic due because of absence of square drive in the game...

View attachment 137906

Would be great if its possible to add that shot to the game..Or a way to tweak the existing animations to play the shot in that area...

There are 6 fielders on the boundary and I don't think you are allowed to put more than 5 boundary riders. But yeah no square drive in the game is a major oversight. Essentially you can't do much about fuller deliveries outside the off stump. Also, the game doesn't really support 360 degree shot selection a la AC09 and you can hit shots only in certain directions.

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
There are 6 fielders on the boundary and I don't think you are allowed to put more than 5 boundary riders. But yeah no square drive in the game is a major oversight. Essentially you can't do much about fuller deliveries outside the off stump. Also, the game doesn't really support 360 degree shot selection a la AC09 and you can hit shots only in certain directions.
Yeah I know but that's how you feel when you view the field around...

kushari

International Coach
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC

View attachment 137906

Yeah I understand it is very unrealistic not to have the square drive in the game, but somehow I like the game as it is, as anyway Online game is way too biased towards the Batsman and against the Bowlers. It is extremely difficult to get Wickets/Limiting runs against good players in Online mode, now if they make the Square Drive/360 degree shot available and dont make taking wickets more easy it will be blood bath for bowlers. I would rather like Batsman Confidence to play a Major Part when batting and also if you hit the Batsman by a Bouncer or beat him with a good delivery, there is No reward for it (In terms of Batsman Confidence coming down etc)

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
Yeah I understand it is very unrealistic not to have the square drive in the game, but somehow I like the game as it is, as anyway Online game is way too biased towards the Batsman and against the Bowlers. It is extremely difficult to get Wickets/Limiting runs against good players in Online mode, now if they make the Square Drive/360 degree shot available and dont make taking wickets more easy it will be blood bath for bowlers. I would rather like Batsman Confidence to play a Major Part when batting and also if you hit the Batsman by a Bouncer or beat him with a good delivery, there is No reward for it (In terms of Batsman Confidence coming down etc)
Totally agreed..
And that's the reason I would like to make slogging difficult in the game...People can hit a slog on the cover region on front foot to a short delivery...:facepalm
If they add square drive to the game then the chances of getting edges to badly timed square drive becomes high and wicket taking chances increases both from bowling and the slips, WK catches[which is lacking in offline more than online play] point of view...

Users who are viewing this thread