Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
I'll go with Bob Appleyard, who made his first-class debut for Yorkshire at 27, after a childhood marred by one family tragedy after the other. Despite this, he was one of the best English bowlers of the 1950s, and was able to bowl fast-medium swingers and seamers, and off-breaks with the same action. His golden left-arm fetched him 708 first-class wickets at an average of 15. In his admittedly limited Test career he took 31 wickets at an average of almost 18. Just like D'Oliveira, an earlier start to his career would've made him a much more famous cricketer.

Undisputed Era

4. :aus: Jack Ryder :ar:
5. :aus: Mike Hussey :bat:
6. :eng: Basil D'Oliveira :ar:
9. :eng: Bob Appleyard :bwl:
10. :aus: Clarrie Grimmett :bwl:

@Aalay

El Loco

PCPF Mod Chief Superintendent
ENG....
Hang on I had no idea it was my pick before!

Reggie Schwarz

Da Team:

4. :eng::bat: Patsy Hendren
5. :aus::ar: Ken MacKay
7. :wi::wk: Ridley Jacobs
9. :saf::bwl: Reggie Schwarz
11. :aus::bwl: Dainty Ironmonger

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
HerbCollins.jpg

My next pick is Herbie Collins from Australia. He made his debut for Australia at the age of 32 years. Due to making his debut at such a late age and because he played in 20's, he only played 19 test matches. He averaged 45 with the bat in those 19 test matches and bowled some filthy left arm pies as well. Out of those 19 test matches he played, he was the captain for 11. He was also known as "Horseshoe" by his teammates because of his good fortune with the toss and racing. Patience was one of the strongest point of his batting. He once batted for four hours and fifty minutes at Old Trafford in 1921 and ended up scoring a legendary 40. He played his last test match against England in 1926

Dad's Army

1. :ind: Vijay Hazare :bat:
2. :aus: Herbie Collins :bat:
7. :eng: Mike Brearley :c::wk:
8. :aus: Ryan Harris :bwl:
11. :ind: Dilip Doshi :bwl:

@Aislabie

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
Overall Pick #25: David Steele
_84061372_steele_batting.jpg

He may not be the best batsman left available, but to look at him in his playing days you'd have to assume he was the oldest. In actual fact, he made his Test debut as a bright young thing of just 33 years, but the years had not been kind to the man dubbed "the bank clerk who went to war". With his grey hair, steel-rimmed glasses, grey hair, geriatric oratory skills and grey hair, he didn't seem a day under 50. Until, that is, he faced up to the world's fastest bowlers wearing little but a cloth cap.

It was apparent immediately that he was best against the very best and fastest bowlers the game had to offer. He was far more at home against the likes of Lillee, Thomson, Walker, Roberts, Holding and Daniel than he was against the dibbly-dobblers of Steve Rouse and Stephen Perryman on a Wantage Road green-top. He blocked, ducked and weaved resolutely, then hooked the very shortest and fastest balls into the amassed crowds. So unlikely and romanticised was his rapid rise that he became the Sports Personality of the Year; which made it all the stranger that he was cast aside from a Test side that still could have benefited from his services before he had turned 35.

Statistics
TESTS - :bat: 673 runs @ 42.06 (1 century, best 106) and :bwl: 2 wickets @ 19.50 in 8 matches
FIRST CLASS - :bat: 22,346 runs @ 32.47 (30 centuries, best 140*) and :bwl: 623 wickets @ 24.89 (26 5WI, best 8/29) in 500 matches

Role in the Team

We're slotting Steele straight in at number three. His skilled left-arm spin, so often forgotten by Tony Greig, will be a useful asset to the team as well; he and Grace will be our fifth and sixth bowlers.

Fields on Wheels so far:
1. :eng: :ar: WG Grace (Pick #3)
3. :eng: :ar: David Steele (Pick #25)
6. :zim: :wkb: Dave Houghton (Pick #20)
10. :aus: :bwl: Stuart Clark (Pick #8)
11. :pak: :bwl: Saeed Ajmal (Pick #13)

Next pick:
@El Loco

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
HerbCollins.jpg

My next pick is Herbie Collins from Australia. He made his debut for Australia at the age of 32 years. Due to making his debut at such a late age and because he played in 20's, he only played 19 test matches. He averaged 45 with the bat in those 19 test matches and bowled some filthy left arm pies as well. Out of those 19 test matches he played, he was the captain for 11. He was also known as "Horseshoe" by his teammates because of his good fortune with the toss and racing. Patience was one of the strongest point of his batting. He once batted for four hours and fifty minutes at Old Trafford in 1921 and ended up scoring a legendary 40. He played his last test match against England in 1926

Dad's Army

@Aislabie
Already wrote his writeup, but thought it'd be better to strenghten the bowling a bit. Obviously i was never getting a second bite at him

El Loco

PCPF Mod Chief Superintendent
ENG....
Brian Luckhurst

058406.jpg

Da Team:

1. :eng::bat: Brian Luckhurst
4. :eng::bat: Patsy Hendren
5. :aus::ar: Ken MacKay
7. :wi::wk: Ridley Jacobs
9. :saf::bwl: Reggie Schwarz
11. :aus::bwl: Dainty Ironmonger

@CerealKiller

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
My pick is former West Indian quick Herman Griffith. It is a pity that he debuted at 34, but he still managed to pick up 44 wickets at 28 runs apiece. He was fearsomely quick, picking up 76 wickets on the tour to England in 1928, only the great Learie Constantine picking up more. The Windies lost all three Tests heavily, but Griffith showcased his talent in the last Test, dismissing five top order batsmen with the new ball, and that's exactly why i picked him.
He also gave The Don himself his first Test duck.

Undisputed Era

4. :aus: Jack Ryder :ar:
5. :aus: Mike Hussey :bat:
6. :eng: Basil D'Oliveira :ar:
9. :eng: Bob Appleyard :bwl:
10. :aus: Clarrie Grimmett :bwl:
11. :wi: Herman Griffith :bwl:

@Aalay

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
Screen Shot 2019-11-14 at 10.09.56 PM.png

George Francis is the next player to earn the cap of Dad's Army. He was handed his test debut at the age of 31. He started his international career against England at Lord's and ended his international career against the same opposition at the same ground. A bowler with genuine pace and could bowl a mean yorker. He formed a fearsome threesome alongside Herman Griffith and Baron Constantine who showed early glimpse of the pace battery that WI were able to produce. However, they were not as successful as the one that came in 70's and 80's. George Francis only played 10 test matches and took 23 wickets at an average of 33. However, his first class record was very impressive where he took 223 wickets at an average of only 23. His shot to fame came in 1923 when he ripped through a strong Leveson-Gower's XI. Their target was 28, and at one stage thanks to Francis, Leveson-Gower's XI were on 19 for 6. Even though WI failed to win that match, it gave them a star in George Francis.

Dad's Army

10. :wi: George Francis :bwl:

@Aislabie

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
Already wrote his writeup, but thought it'd be better to strenghten the bowling a bit. Obviously i was never getting a second bite at him

You don't realize how many times I have had to change my list till now. Even today thanks to you I had to change my pick at the last moment.

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
Bob Appleyard is my next pick

I'm too tired to do any more words than that tonight.

@Dutch (double pick)

D

Dutch

Lets chuck in a couple of Irish lads! Rich pickings in the over thirty category and very decent cricketers that will give us some pace and batting aggression. Write up later thus! I am quite liking the look of things at the mo. A pretty solid 5, 6, 7, a very decent keeper, a gritty determined opener and some good bowling options......be scared be very scared :p "We will we will f@ck you....."

The Creaking Lumbagos:

1. :aus::bat: Chris Rogers
5. :aus::bat: Adam Voges
6. :ire: :ar: Kevin O'Brein
7. :aus: :wkb:Brad Haddin
9. :ire: :bwl: Tim Murtagh
10. :eng: :bwl: Rockley Wilson
11. :eng: :bwl: James Sotherton

Users who are viewing this thread