Pakistan Tour of Australia 2009/10

Probably the usual, take turn early, swing early if conditions are right and lots of turn as the game goes on.

This decade has seen some pretty road like pitches at the SCG, sure there's been results but its been a ground our bowlers generally dont like, especially the attacking ones. The containing type bowlers do a good job at the SCG of grinding down a batsmen, guys like Lee really struggle there and get carted (03 v Eng, 04 v India, 06 v SA, 08 v India).

Last year, the SCG had two huge cracks running down the middle on days 4 and 5.

And the pitch develops some patchy areas for spinners.

But what does it behave like on days 1 and 2? Is it like the MCG?

^Last year a Mr Andrew McDonald bowled quite well on the SCG pitch. It really rewarded a bowler who could bowl straight and on a good length, because of the lower bounce and occasional seam movement. He gave away nothing.

I read that in the last 10 years, only 58.47% of wickets in SCG Tests have fallen to pace - the lowest of the 5 major Aussie grounds. So if the selectors really did favour a horses for courses policy, they would have included Smith and maybe even McDonald in their squad. You could make a really funky team with Steve Smith and McDonald at 7 & 8, dropping Siddle/Bollinger for McDonald and Marcus North for Smith. But eh, no need to be fancy I guess. The bowling was really good last Test, no need to mess with it.

As it is, they've kept the same squad...BOORRRIIIINNNGG :p
Australia unchanged for Sydney Test | Cricket News | Australia v Pakistan 2009/10 | Cricinfo.com

Ah now I remmember, McDonald was the biggest reason why Australia won that Test, just choked the SA batsmen till they threw away their wickets.

But the Pakistanis wouldn't be as resilient, so I think our current squad is fine.

Strike bowlers never seem to do well at the SCG, so we'll see. Johnson hasnt done so well there, Bollinger was ineffective last test there too.

Yeah Siddle cashed in big time instead.

And the pitch will probably crack up a bit. Was just reading a recap of last years Test when Graeme Smith came out with a broken hand (awesome courage BTW), and Mitch bowled him off a crack from memory with only 2 or 3 overs left to salvage a draw.

Yeah Siddle cashed in big time instead.

And the pitch will probably crack up a bit. Was just reading a recap of last years Test when Graeme Smith came out with a broken hand (awesome courage BTW), and Mitch bowled him off a crack from memory with only 2 or 3 overs left to salvage a draw.

It was the damn SA tail, this time Hauritz will probably clean them up.

I certainly will be happy if we do roll Pakistan, but I doubt it on the placid SCG pitch, however the MCG was pretty flat and we rolled them twice there!

Sydney is usually very good for batting on the first 3 days, but there is often moisture at the start too; the heavy cracking in the 3rd Test last year was directly related to the dryness of the pitch early on.

This season, Tom Parker thinks pace will prosper, but he says the week's rain will help ensure it holds together, but that "we can't control the weather during the match, which could take it into a fifth day". This phrasing could be taken to hint at a lively wicket. This is a good sign for those hoping to see a pitch similar to the one prepared for NSW on Dec 23.

We suck :D

Insomniac added 2 Minutes and 28 Seconds later...

Sounds like Warne spoke to Hauritz yesterday or sometime during this test. Coincidence that it lead to his first ever 5 fer?
No, we just like to make crap spinners look great.

Look at the history - Paul Harris, Rangath Herath, and now Hauritz.

Users who are viewing this thread