West Indies in Australia Jan-Feb 2012/13

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
Why did WI chose to bat first on this track? Starc is bowling beautifully.

alexczarn

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Maxwell...exciting and frustrating!

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Geez ended so quickly that my plan to watch the second innings turned into a night off. Starc is going to be mighty impressive if he can keep that swing going in test cricket. I hope Maxwell gets another go at opening and playing in the same vein as we need someone to get us away to that sort of start. Warner was meant to be that guy but he hasn't quite taken his T20/Test scoring rate over to ODIs.

Biggy

Panel of Selectors
Geez ended so quickly that my plan to watch the second innings turned into a night off. Starc is going to be mighty impressive if he can keep that swing going in test cricket. I hope Maxwell gets another go at opening and playing in the same vein as we need someone to get us away to that sort of start. Warner was meant to be that guy but he hasn't quite taken his T20/Test scoring rate over to ODIs.

Well I had work at 5:30 so was bummed to miss out on the 2nd inning. Then they had things wrapped up at 4:30 so worked out well for me haha.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
I was out in the afternoon, but fortunately had the tape rolling...otherwise I would have missed it all! Starc certainly had the ball singing.

I think Maxwell opening shows what can happen to bowlers when you disrupt them. You don't have to constantly move around like Maxwell was doing, but maybe just once an over walk towards the bowler and I think you'd be amazed what that puts inside a bowler's head. Even taking guard outside your crease like Wade did vs Malinga worked a treat - suddenly Malinga was bowling short, reacting to the batsman's tactics. Wade couldn't hit any of those, as Malinga was too good, but I liked the idea :D Despite 2 new balls, it's that kind of disruption that makes me belief that pinch hitters aren't dead, as many like to proclaim. I think your top 4 in ODIs, needs to be 3 really top quality big scoring batsmen, but the 4th guy should be someone relatively unimportant who can disrupt bowlers and isn't really interested in making 100s. If he gets out early, who cares? The other 3 guys should be good enough to carry the innings from there.

I maintain that Warner's ODI career is being messed around because now that he's a Test player, he's expected to be scoring big runs and to play with some responsibility, not just going out there and hitting boundaries like he did at the beginning of his career. He's getting out as much to mental errors as physical ones, and having a muddled mindset can't be helping in that regard.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Dear oh dear our batting is collapsing all over the shop lately. Maxwell missed an opportunity to show his Test worth just like those before him. Bailey at least looks to be standing up.

Finch looked pretty good this time round but keeps getting out to screamers. I do hope he at least gets the series though.

ricky87

Club Captain
Very disappointing stuff from the West Indies.

Umair7

El Presidente
AUS..
Ireland
Kings XI
KK
Hobart Hurricanes
Survival Games Finalist
Champions League Winner
Avengers
Oval Invincibles
Profile Flag
Australia
Starc is bloody awesome Bailey did an awesome job :) openers failed again :(

IanG

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Australia
Australia now 2-0 up in the series.
Australia 266/7 (50 Overs)
West Indies 212 (38.1 Overs)
Australia won by 54 runs
Scorecard

Game 3 on Wednesday in Canberra.

Only the 3rd ODI to be played in Canberra and the first time the Australian team have played there.

midgetwars

Club Captain
Bailey, just chucked a hussey. We need those players in the team to stop the collapse.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Yep full credit to George. I don't like his batting style at all, but he's strangely effective despite not looking particularly smooth or stylish. If he can keep doing that kind of job, then he's got a spot for life in the middle order. Maybe even a spot at a Test gig if his form is good. After all, the selectors picked Maxwell for Tests based on not much other than short form performances and a hunch. They've been using the ODI team as a bit of a proving ground for Tests anyway eg. Peter Forrest last year.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Bailey just showed his finishing ability coming in from a cold start. He has really stood up this series. Great to have Watson back, could have got a 200 the way he was going. Good knock by Hughes too, picked up the pace nicely just needs to score a bit quicker early on.

Left_Hander

Chairman of Selectors
Could be an interesting night if the West Indies get going

Users who are viewing this thread