West Indies Tour of Australia 2010

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
Well not everyone is Australia, but you still had Watson, Ponting, Clarke, Hussey.

If the WI had Chanderpaul,Bravo and Sarwan alongside Gayle they woyld have done better.

Not to mention Edwards and Taylor with Roach. Sure, the West Indies lost and of course Australia is a better side even when facing up against a full-strength West Indies team but WI would have done much better with those players I think. They had Dwayne Smith opening the bowling!

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Wouldn't it be better to look towards the 2011 WC and beyond with a young talented batsman like Barath then Samuels. Like you said the middle order is weak and mocking the best middle order batsman into the opening spot wouldn't make much sense.
The biggest problem for the WI middle order is fitness and if everyone is fit then the middle order looks good.

Well it all depends on Samuels returns between now & the WC. If he comes back strong he will make the middle-order fairly good. Thus Chanderpaul opening (where he has done very well in ODIs before in) wont be an issue.

Will be interesting to see how Barath goes as an opener in ODIs between now & the WC.

All I have to say is that Dave has proven that he can do it better then both Miller and Benn in the short version of the game. Be it domestic or international, I know that the domestic scene isnt the greatest but he has done better hen both of them. If they cant do it in the crappy WI domestic cricket they sure as hell arent going to do it at the international level.
Benn averages 35.5 in 20/20 cricket with a economy of 7.6, in ODIs he averages 71.5 :facepalm:doh with a economy of 4.8. Hardly international team worth and hardly economical. In the crap domestic WI scene in one day cricket he averages 32, not good at all.
Like I said Dave is much better then both of em in one day cricket.

That is the sterotyped position that you would think would happen. But inversely even in a crap doemstic competition the players who do well may not translate that form to international level (like with my England players like Hick & Ramprakash) - while players who may not do well/or have average stats may surprise you (like Collingwood currently) & step up at international level.

This is what the Mohammed vs Miller/Benn argument comes down to. Forget about WI domestic stats they are misleading when it comes to spinners.

Are you using the WI domestic competition to back up your claims for Benn while earlier saying that the competition is crap? If its not good enough to back up Dave its not good enough to back up Benn.While Benn was good in the Stanford 20/20 Mohammed was much better (Cricket Records | Records | Stanford 20/20, 2007/08 | Most wickets | Cricinfo.com).

Not really. Im just recalling watching Standord 2009 that i thought Benn looked more impressive than Mohammed.

Dave Mohammed is more restrictive then both of them and can actually take wickets. Nikita is a bit more restrictive the Benn but still doesn't take wickets.

I have seen no evidence that Mohammed can be restrictive plus take wickets at ODI level. International batsmen would smoke him, i would never forget what Dhoni did to him in a test match in 2006. He is a joke my friend.

Again i say Benn & Miller if the fast bowlers do a job can be restrictive & take wickets sometimes againts international batsmen.

in this day and age the spinner is as much a strike bowler as any, wickets are needed always.

Not really. I wouldn't call Hauritz a strike bowler in ODIs for AUS currently, like what Hogg & Warne was.

Hauritz isn't expected to take wickets consistently in ODIs for AUS. His role is to back-up the fast bowlers by being a restrictive spinner & on occassions he is rewarded with wickets. I can see Benn or Miller doing a similar job in ODIs for WI.

If the WI want a restrictive spin bowler then just take Omari Banks and he can do that plus bat down the order and score some runs for the weak batting lineup.

Ha no way man. He is an even worse joke than Mohammed.

I disagree a good spinner is always needed these days. Amit is taking some wickets this year after struggling the last too but the leader is Imran Khan.

The reason i say WI probably can do without a spinner is because i think in WI best test XI. If you pick a spinner, that means Ramdin bats @ 7 & i dont think by modern standards he is a test match #7 - which sort of weakens the lower-order.

The only ones that can play the spinners are Sarwan and Chanders, Bravo somewhat and Gayle just bashes what he sees.

Yea. That T20 vs ZIM pretty much shows what i was saying. Tony Cozier was complaining on commentary, about how spinners are taking heads of wickets in the domestic competition - but yet none of them look that special.

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
Well it all depends on Samuels returns between now & the WC. If he comes back strong he will make the middle-order fairly good. Thus Chanderpaul opening (where he has done very well in ODIs before in) wont be an issue.

Chanderpaul is a middle order batsman, for no reason should he be moved to open. Yea he did well as a opener in the past but the WI cant move him from the middle order, Samuels on top form is nowhere near Chanders. I honestly dont see the point of getting rid of one of the most promising young batsman that the WI have had for years in order to accommodate a 30 year old middle order batsman returning to cricket. That to me makes no sense.

Will be interesting to see how Barath goes as an opener in ODIs between now & the WC.

We will see, hopefully he stays healthy and does well against the Safers.

That is the sterotyped position that you would think would happen. But inversely even in a crap doemstic competition the players who do well may not translate that form to international level (like with my England players like Hick & Ramprakash) - while players who may not do well/or have average stats may surprise you (like Collingwood currently) & step up at international level.

So have either Benn or Miller "surprised you". They did exactly what their List A stats suggest, the sucked/continue to suck in the short form of the game. Bottom line is they haven't impressed in ODI cricket and Mohammed has.

This is what the Mohammed vs Miller/Benn argument comes down to. Forget about WI domestic stats they are misleading when it comes to spinners.
Yes they are thats why I was giving you international stats which you didn't see or chose to completely ignore.
On what other team would a guy who averages 70+ in ODI cricket be a good spinner. I cant believe that you are actually backing up that.

Not really. Im just recalling watching Standord 2009 that i thought Benn looked more impressive than Mohammed.
was it 08 or 09 make up your mind.
Anyways in either one Dave was the more impressive bowler.

I have seen no evidence that Mohammed can be restrictive plus take wickets at ODI level. International batsmen would smoke him, i would never forget what Dhoni did to him in a test match in 2006. He is a joke my friend.

Are we talking Tests or ODIs here? Because even in tests Dave has done well. Who took the wickets that day? Dave got 3 wickets in that innings, Laxman, Dravid and Dhoni.
What is a joke is you saying Benn and Miller can take wickets if the quicks are doing well in ODIs but they haven't shown it at all. 11 Matches and 6 wickets is just pathetic in ODIs.

Again i say Benn & Miller if the fast bowlers do a job can be restrictive & take wickets sometimes againts international batsmen.

Right and Dave cant :doh. Its not like he has shown it or anything, because Benn has done so amazing in the ODIs that he completely outshines Dave.

Bowling records | One-Day Internationals | Cricinfo Statsguru | Cricinfo.com <--- There you go 3 matches against Pakistan and India, took out Zimbabwe and Canada.

Ha no way man. He is an even worse joke than Mohammed.

That was just a joke towards your option of restrictive bowlers that don't need to take wickets.

The reason i say WI probably can do without a spinner is because i think in WI best test XI. If you pick a spinner, that means Ramdin bats @ 7 & i dont think by modern standards he is a test match #7 - which sort of weakens the lower-order.

Benn can stay in the test squad until Imran Khan gets selected, hopefully thats the South Africa series and we can say good bye to Benn.

Yea. That T20 vs ZIM pretty much shows what i was saying. Tony Cozier was complaining on commentary, about how spinners are taking heads of wickets in the domestic competition - but yet none of them look that special.

Who said all of them are special. At least Imran can bat and he cant be worse Benn in tests.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
God, I hope I don't have to mod this because I'm not reading that much one-line-quote-response crap. :facepalm

War

Chairman of Selectors
God, I hope I don't have to mod this because I'm not reading that much one-line-quote-response crap. :facepalm

Is there a problem with the "one-line-quote-response" style?. Myself & poster Dare are having a very sane cricket discussion here, its not as if we are insulting each other.

P

pcfan123

Dare vs War = sane and critical cricket discussion.

All is well Angy

Users who are viewing this thread