Survival Games Finalist
Champions League Winner
Avengers
Oval Invincibles
Profile Flag
Australia

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Hopefully that gets White noticed, should have been picked over Marsh for Test. Still not seeing what Bailey is offering for the T20 side.

Umair7

El Presidente
AUS..
Ireland
Kings XI
KK
Hobart Hurricanes
Survival Games Finalist
Champions League Winner
Avengers
Oval Invincibles
Profile Flag
Australia

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Hopefully that gets White noticed, should have been picked over Marsh for Test. Still not seeing what Bailey is offering for the T20 side.

Ha ye Bailey career has been strange. Picked as T20 captain, when he couldn't merit a place in side as a player. But yet has shown T20 like hitting form in ODIs.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Haha and just the other day I wrote off Hodge...I still don't like the selection, but it shows the selectors still regard him more highly than what I do :D I'd rather them play some of the bowlers in the squad and see what they've got. We've seen the 3 bowlers + 3 batting ARs can work, try 3 bowlers and a couple of bowling ARs (Cutting and Coulter-Nile and Starc) and see if that works too.

The cynic in me says that the only reason Hodge is in this squad is the venue...MCG. CA hoping that Hodge staves off late season ticket apathy?

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Well there you go Bailey doing something in T20!

White has been a revelation, that batting lineup is looking really good now. Murihead also showing good signs, I can see the selectors pushing the button to give him a Baggy Green shortly.

Left_Hander

Chairman of Selectors
Murihead also showing good signs, I can see the selectors pushing the button to give him a Baggy Green shortly.

Unfortunately, I can see this happening. How many times will Lyon be dropped for average bowlers when he is doing a solid job as is?

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Until one of these SLA or leggies come off I guess! I at least hope Victoria will start giving him more caps.

Left_Hander

Chairman of Selectors
Exactly. He'll have to start playing regular cricket to be considered for the serious stuff, hopefully.

War

Chairman of Selectors
George Bailey backs Brad Hodge for World T20 selection

One thing this T20 series has shown is that AUS have some serious T20 depth & should go into the world cup well equipped to challenge the west indies.

Its impossible to pick a final 15 man squad i think, you got one or two players so close at the moment.

Warner
Finch
Watson
Bailey
Hodge
Maxwell
Haddin
Faulker
Johnson
Coulter-Nile
Hogg

White/S Marsh
Christian/Henriques/M Marsh
Starc
O'Keefe/Murihead

Plus you got options like Wade, Paine, Lynn, Maddison, Cutting, Hazlewood, Pattinson, Smith who all could be very lethal in this format....

Last edited:

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Had to LOL at Josh Hazlewood getting man of the match last night. Did they watch the match?? He had 3.4 overs 2/30 before those last 2 balls of the innings. Most expensive bowler is MOTM :facepalm Thought Starc and Muirhead clearly outbowled him. Bailey and White deserved it over him as well.

Well there you go Bailey doing something in T20!

White has been a revelation, that batting lineup is looking really good now. Murihead also showing good signs, I can see the selectors pushing the button to give him a Baggy Green shortly.

White's definitely played himself onto that World Cup team. Perhaps at the expense of Hodgey :yes

I've guessing the team will be thus:
Warner
Finch
Watson
Bailey
???
Maxwell
Wade
Faulkner
Coulter-Nile
Starc
Doherty?

Potentials for spots:
*White has to be there somewhere now, either the bench batsman or down the order. Hodge is an option, Steve Smith another because he'll play the spin well in the middle, and add a lot in the field, while Shaun Marsh has value as another left hander. Only 2 in top 8 otherwise. Lynn doesn't deserve to be ignored either.
*Christian and Henriques for more batting all-rounders. Cutting for a bowling AR.
*Hogg and Muirhead as 2nd spin options.
*Johnson, McKay, Hazlewood, maybe Pattinson as pace options.

Anyone I've missed?

EDIT: oh yeah Mitch Marsh, knew War would be all over him :D

War

Chairman of Selectors
Unfortunately, I can see this happening. How many times will Lyon be dropped for average bowlers when he is doing a solid job as is?

I doubt Lyon will be dropped even if Murihead is fast tracked into the test squad. Most likely Murihead might over take Fawad Ahmed as the back-up spinner.

Murihead has been very impressive. This statement isn't meant to put pressure on him, but for leg-spinners on debut this is best i've seen a under-25 leggie look since Mushtaq Ahmed or Danish Kaneria. I'm quite sure at 21, Warne wasn't landing them that accurately -but of course that doesn't mean much ATM.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
I'd go
Finch
Warner
White
Watson
Bailey
Maxwell
Wade
Faulkner
NCN
Starc
Johnson/Spinner

Given Murihead went pretty well I'd like another look in SA before deciding on the spinners spot. White in this form would be wasted down the order, ideally I'd keep him opening but hard to do that over Finch and Warner.

War

Chairman of Selectors
^^

Given the conditions in Bangladesh, most certainly a main spinner will be picked in the starting XI. Possibly even a second main spinner in the overall squad also.

Users who are viewing this thread