England in Australia limited overs series

D

Dutch

How the hell did we lose this?

Exactly. When we think the bottom of the barrel has been reached we somehow, somehow seem to be able to scrape a little deeper......unbelievable. We are in a shocking state as a team at the moment. Shocking. How do we go from 156 for 3 off 36 overs to losing it....How??

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Post ODI series analysis for ENG highlighted a few things for me:

- Not in favour of Cook staying as ODI captain en route to the WC. I'm in the camp the believes Morgan should take over & Hales be promoted to open in ODI's

- Stokes, Buttler & Jordan enhanced their reputations.

- Tredwell remains unconvincing as a ODI spinner that can properly fill the hole left by Swann. Believe Briggs should be looked at for the upcoming Windies tour.

My prefered ENG ODI XI & Squad:

Hales, Bell, KP, Root, Morgan (c), Bopara, Stokes, Buttler, Bresnan, Broad, Finn

Ballance, Wright, Jordan, Briggs

SpitfiresKent

ICC Board Member
ZIM...
Profile Flag
England
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
- Tredwell remains unconvincing as a ODI spinner that can properly fill the hole left by Swann. Believe Briggs should be looked at for the upcoming Windies tour.

Despite being a Kent supporter I have to agree with you on this.

Hales, Bell, KP, Root, Morgan (c), Bopara, Stokes, Buttler, Bresnan, Broad, Finn

No front line spinner? So you're relying on KP and Root for spin? Swap Bresnan for Briggs and now it looks better.

Haarithan

Chairman of Selectors
Bopara, Bresnan & Tredwell should be squad players at best for next year's World Cup. Not worthy of a place in the XI. Especially Bopara...has he ever carried England over the line? Terribly weak mentality.

I'd have still Cook as an opener while handing over the captaincy reigns to Morgan. Also worth giving Luke Wright a shot considering he has more experience playing in Aussie and NZ conditions than any other present English ODI cricketer. And has done a pretty fine job as well.

Cook, Bell, Pietersen, Morgan (C), Stokes, Buttler, Wright, Broad, Jordan, Anderson/Briggs, Finn/Briggs

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
This is going to sound ridiculous but we've been the better team in this ODI series and deserve to win it.
But for Faulkner's amazing innings (and poor captaincy from Cook) this game would be the decider.

Definitely agree. Australia got out of jail twice. Could be 3-2 England without much problem. If Ballance holds Finch at Melbourne and it could have been different as well.

My XI for the series would be:
Finch
Warner
Bell
S.Marsh
Morgan
Buttler
Faulkner
Stokes
Coulter-Nile
Broad/McKay
Doherty

Going forward for England, you need those guys I've listed: Bell, Morgan, Buttler, Stokes, Broad. Combine them with missing guys like Anderson, KP and Trott. That's a good side. Cook too when his form returns. He deserves a longer go IMHO. Just need a spinning option and for one of the pacemen to step up. Might be Jordan, Bresnan did OK. Getting Finn back and firing would be the best, but it may not happen soon :( As for spin, you could play Root and Bopara to give you 2 bits-n-pieces as your 5th bowler, but I think England would be better off with a superior batsman (like Trott/KP even Ballance) + Briggs/Tredwell vs Root + Bopara. Both Root and Bopara have a few issues with the bat right now, not quite good enough for permanent spot yet in my view.

Oddly for the Aussies who usually pick 17 guys who can open, most of the batsmen here are middle order. Finch will open opposite White I'd say, maybe Wade. Although Wade is the only left hander in there, they might use him later to mix things up. I guess they don't need to pick openers because they know Warner, Watson and Marsh are up their sleeves.

Liked the look of Muirhead in the Big Bash, so why not give him a trundle? Same for Chris Lynn, hopefully he gets a good shot. See what these guys have got ahead of World Cup selection.

Umair7

El Presidente
AUS..
Ireland
Kings XI
KK
Hobart Hurricanes
Survival Games Finalist
Champions League Winner
Avengers
Oval Invincibles
Profile Flag
Australia
Where is Nic Maddinson ??

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Where is Nic Maddinson ??

Playing for the Sydney Sixers.

Oh you want more? Well he hasn't really performed much this summer in Australia at domestic level, he's been OK, but nothing fantastic. He's behind others in the opener race for the T20 World Cup: Warner, Watson, Finch and Marsh. Now other guys are making runs like Cameron White, even Ben Dunk. Definitely a guy for the future though! If he can control himself at the crease ie. not do something too elaborate when he doesn't have to, then he will be a gun batsman.

No Cookies | Herald Sun - Brad Hodge piling up the T20 runs as well as the questions about his absence from national team

Haha, nothing like the local paper to pump up the local boy :p Yeah Hodgey has played two good innnings this BBL, a lot of poor ones though. There's probably at least 10 batsmen who've had a better BBL than Hodge. And when I went to watch the Stars, he's noticeably slow in the field. Mike Hussey would be WAY ahead of him if Australia want to pick an old player.

Just on the Aussie T20 side...the keepers haven't done much in BBL. Wonder if selectors would think about picking Ben Dunk as a keeper. Hasn't been keeping this tournament, but has for most of his career. Warner, Finch, Watson, Bailey, Maxwell and Dunk in top 6?? Pick the guy with the hot hand - he can bat anywhere too. I'm just a bit down on Wade at the moment...

Last edited:

Umair7

El Presidente
AUS..
Ireland
Kings XI
KK
Hobart Hurricanes
Survival Games Finalist
Champions League Winner
Avengers
Oval Invincibles
Profile Flag
Australia
Wade

----------

Playing for the Sydney Sixers.

Oh you want more? Well he hasn't really performed much this summer in Australia at domestic level, he's been OK, but nothing fantastic. He's behind others in the opener race for the T20 World Cup: Warner, Watson, Finch and Marsh. Now other guys are making runs like Cameron White, even Ben Dunk. Definitely a guy for the future though! If he can control himself at the crease ie. not do something too elaborate when he doesn't have to, then he will be a gun batsman.

Haha, nothing like the local paper to pump up the local boy :p Yeah Hodgey has played two good innnings this BBL, a lot of poor ones though. There's probably at least 10 batsmen who've had a better BBL than Hodge. And when I went to watch the Stars, he's noticeably slow in the field. Mike Hussey would be WAY ahead of him if Australia want to pick an old player.

Just on the Aussie T20 side...the keepers haven't done much in BBL. Wonder if selectors would think about picking Ben Dunk as a keeper. Hasn't been keeping this tournament, but has for most of his career. Warner, Finch, Watson, Bailey, Maxwell and Dunk in top 6?? Pick the guy with the hot hand - he can bat anywhere too. I'm just a bit down on Wade at the moment...

Hmm Thanks for the explanation :D

Last edited:

War

Chairman of Selectors
No front line spinner? So you're relying on KP and Root for spin? Swap Bresnan for Briggs and now it looks better.

If i was to drop a batsman in that scenario, it would be Root. If you drop Bresnan - you change seamers in that line-up would Stokes/Bopara which won't be ideal.

Umair7

El Presidente
AUS..
Ireland
Kings XI
KK
Hobart Hurricanes
Survival Games Finalist
Champions League Winner
Avengers
Oval Invincibles
Profile Flag
Australia
Lynn is up and running and what can i say about MR White and Finchy they are bloody awesome

dancingmongoose

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Would have much preferred to see Boyce ahead of Muirhead

ferg512

International Coach
Didn't realise there was 3 T20s, can't they just finish this tour already? Had enough of watching these two teams play each other.

Users who are viewing this thread