Not open for further replies.

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
I have been playing career today and have played 3 matches completely and the field change is there for majority of bowlers but for some they just stick on with the same regardless of the shots played...Like today I played many shots in the mid wicket region but AI kept the same mid on and short mid wicket in position, so was able to play continuously there...That said I did the same with some other bowler and immediate change in the field with straight on and deep mid wicket and bowling to the field most of the time...

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
The best way to avoid cr@ppy field settings by AI is for Big Ant to have a set of 10 or 12 core fields and pick a field from those. Right now there are a bunch of fields which are practically useless and will never be seen in an actual cricket match.

I mean have a combination of fields which has following field positions covered - Deep 3rd Man, Deep Fine Leg, Deep Extra Cover, Long on, Long Off and Deep Square Leg - and depending on where the batsman scores most of his runs, pick one of the 10 or 12 core fields. You don't need 100+ fields for the same. For Tests augment a few attacking or balanced fields - again around 12-15 - to augment the shorter format fields and you will be done with not more than 25-30 fields overall.

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
Another thing I would like to tell is that the "Set same field for all batsman/ bowlers" doesn't seem to be working 100%..

Questions regarding that:

-Is that option applicable to one side batsman like the striker or for both striker and non striker??

-Why does the AI automatically change the field I have set to the same batsman, is that something included in the patch or does it need to be tweaked??

-Why that option is also made applicable to AI bowlers as well?? Because when I was fielding in career , the AI had the field I had set...

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
The best way to avoid cr@ppy field settings by AI is for Big Ant to have a set of 10 or 12 core fields and pick a field from those. Right now there are a bunch of fields which are practically useless and will never be seen in an actual cricket match.

I mean have a combination of fields which has following field positions covered - Deep 3rd Man, Deep Fine Leg, Deep Extra Cover, Long on, Long Off and Deep Square Leg - and depending on where the batsman scores most of his runs, pick one of the 10 or 12 core fields. You don't need 100+ fields for the same. For Tests augment a few attacking or balanced fields - again around 12-15 - to augment the shorter format fields and you will be done with not more than 25-30 fields overall.

This is basically what's happened. Myself and @grkrama have given them a number of fields for the AI to choose from.

There are limitations, you can't set a field and say this is for off stump line, this is for full and straight, this is for short pitched etc. - in fact I have altered or deleted some fields due to this. So you will occasionally get anomalies but it should be better.

People saying the AI doesn't move fielders when you play a few shots in an area don't know what they are talking about: good captains don't do that. Alastair Cook does this because he is an awful captain, the AI used to do this and it was rubbish. There's a balance to be struck for sure, and it may not be perfect now but it's better an AI that's slow to respond than an AI that constantly moves the field.

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
This is basically what's happened. Myself and @grkrama have given them a number of fields for the AI to choose from.

There are limitations, you can't set a field and say this is for off stump line, this is for full and straight, this is for short pitched etc. - in fact I have altered or deleted some fields due to this. So you will occasionally get anomalies but it should be better.

People saying the AI doesn't move fielders when you play a few shots in an area don't know what they are talking about: good captains don't do that. Alastair Cook does this because he is an awful captain, the AI used to do this and it was rubbish. There's a balance to be struck for sure, and it may not be perfect now but it's better an AI that's slow to respond than an AI that constantly moves the field.
Agreed, but then the option would be that the AI tries to change the line of the delivery, work on pace change etc...This would make it harder and more realistic to stick on to the field they have...This has top change then...

D

Dutch

Agreed, but then the option would be that the AI tries to change the line of the delivery, work on pace change etc...This would make it harder and more realistic to stick on to the field they have...This has top change then...
that will have to benin the next version then as as I understand it ai doesnt and cant bowl to fields it can only assign fields based on match situations and the human player heat map...as it were....

Last edited by a moderator:

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
Ai doesn't

that will have to benin the next version then as as I understand it ai doesnt and cant bowl to fields it can only assign fields based on match situations and the human player heat map...as it were....
Yeah cant expect too much now....Though its really really good than before so we should just enjoy with what's being provided off the patch...

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
@funnyadit a big problem is the AI isn't smart enough to plug a gap by moving a single fielder - so we give it base fields. We may not have covered every possibly area but I think we've done a lot.

The AI should still respond (subject to having an appropriate option) but the response should take longer than previously which was far too quick.

I'm submitting some more fields today to fix some issues regarding ODIs & I'll look at mid wicket. I've also probably submitted too many 7/2 fields for FC and will add more 6/3

My personal experience of the post patches fields is they're significantly better than what went before, and generally more appropriate to the situation.

UnknownSoul

Associate Cricketer
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
I dont know if the fields you guys are talking about are for Career mode as well but i have faced this strange field quite alot early on with seamers and this pic was taken facing a spinner..

6F9199FBAB068FA3B1EA3E0738CBEAD949E5F08C

weeramanthrie

County Cricketer
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Does it occur in all the matches ? for me its occurring alternatively i think, had a couple of matches that were very good no weird fields, one match in between had that 5 fielder slip. All odi casual legend.

yea it occurs in all odi matches. in in tests the field doesnt change at all. im not asking for a field that changes constantly like a maniac, but at least an AI thats sensible enough to know, hitting the ball in the same direction for 3 consecutive overs means they need to cover that area.

The_Pharoah

International Coach
I did notice a few of those types of fields in my few matches last night (ODI esp) but not always.

I played a 4 day match against SA and the field was set quite well...and didn't change. There was mid on/off, extra cover, cover, backward point, slip, silly leg (I think its called), fine leg, square leg from memory all against Adam Zampa (RH Leg spin). I couldn't score a bloody run! lol...but I really really enjoyed it. For the first time since I got DB14, I had a strike rate of 50!!! Yeah I know the fields aren't perfect (esp in the shorter forms) but from what I've seen in FC matches, its bloody good.

ODI matches though are a bit of an issue re field placements but not always...just sometimes esp in the power play overs, the field settings are quite off (5 slips for example). However once you move past the PP overs, you get an all round field setting which tends to cut down on runs.

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
@funnyadit a big problem is the AI isn't smart enough to plug a gap by moving a single fielder - so we give it base fields. We may not have covered every possibly area but I think we've done a lot.

The AI should still respond (subject to having an appropriate option) but the response should take longer than previously which was far too quick.

I'm submitting some more fields today to fix some issues regarding ODIs & I'll look at mid wicket. I've also probably submitted too many 7/2 fields for FC and will add more 6/3

My personal experience of the post patches fields is they're significantly better than what went before, and generally more appropriate to the situation.
I got to admit that apart from a few gaps always kept open, I am facing challenges in rotating strikes sometimes which feels really good in the game where the fields are really good that too for spinners...Great job by you guys...:clap

chaman82

County Cricketer
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
I have a problem with the 7 / 2 off side fields.. As we all know ai can't bowl according to the field sets so this 7/ 2 field should not be used at all.

May be more 6/3 fields will make it better.

The_Pharoah

International Coach
One other thing (and not to rehash the old 'we need a field radar'), but is it possible to get a little notification of 'field changed' before each bowl? Given the cutscene between each play, sometimes fielding changes (big ones too, esp behind you) occur without you knowing. Yes I know the 'solution' is to scan around, and I do that every ball, but that adds a good 5-10 secs to every shot x by how many shots...and I'm eating into valuable play time. If there's a change in the field, I shd be notified...if there isn't, I shouldn't need to worry about it.

I also reiterate the need for the bowler type each ball. There's a lot of unused HUD space - it can't hurt to include 2-3 letters to represent the bowler (RF/LF/RHM/LHM/LS/OS/LAO/etc). When you use the sim option with batting, you can go a whole over or two and then suddenly be confronted with a new bowler with no indication of how they bowl other than the obvious indications (eg. spinners = close to wicket, etc)...eg. how do you discern between a RH LS or OS until they bowl? Thats why an umpire will always state what the new bowler bowls for the benefit of a batsman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread