Pietersen and Flintoff Part From Struggling Woodworm

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
The Times said:
Kevin Pietersen and Andrew Flintoff, arguably the most marketable cricketers in England, have parted company with Woodworm, the equipment manufacturer, whose distinctive bats with cutaway edges became popular during the 2005 Ashes series.

The company was founded in 2002 and signed Flintoff a year later, along with other leading players such as Muttiah Muralitharan and Dwayne Bravo, but it is believed to have run into financial difficulties, not least after it had trouble breaking into the golfwear market, despite the endorsement of Ernie Els, the South African golfer.

Woodworm turned its first profit in 2006 thanks to the exposure it gained during the Ashes, but the company is struggling. Pietersen is rumoured to be close to signing a deal with adidas and Flintoff is seeking a new sponsor.

The Telegraph said:
The Telegraph

Andrew Flintoff, Woodworm?s other high-profile cricketer, is also thought to be courting alternative offers.

Adidas are new to the cricket equipment market, having just released their first range for 2009, and are obviously looking to make an immediate impact. They had considered buying Woodworm out, thus gaining both Pietersen and Flintoff, but the deal fell through.

With Pietersen already having a boot contract with Adidas, and with the England team sponsored to wear their leisurewear, England?s captain was an obvious choice to front their assault on the bat market once Woodworm?s travails became apparent.

Pietersen and Flintoff were both on lifetime deals worth more than ?1 million a man at Woodworm, but Adidas have been coy over revealing the terms of Pietersen?s contract. One rival bat manufacturer recently offered him ?200,000 a year but was turned down flat, so it must be substantial.

Pietersen has now signed a deal with Adidas, a deal that has been strongly rumoured for a long time, but seemed unrealistic because of Pietersen's life-long Woodworm deal. Pietersen already had the large boot deal with Adidas, so it makes sense for him to take Pietersen. Flintoff hasn't signed with Adidas as of yet, but it's rumoured that he will do. Certainly be 2 top talents for Adidas to get on board. Pietersen's got to be the most marketable talent in world cricket, so getting him on board will be massive for them. They've also got sufficient financing to build a really successful brand.

Seems Woodworm are no more. It's a shame, because i'm a fan of their stuff, and have almost a complete Woodworm Kit bar the helmet. Not sure where this will leave guys like Bravo, Lee, Muralitharan, Van Jaarsveld, Franklin, and the other Woodworm guys but it seems that there will be quite a few players looking for sponsorships. Wonder what Lee will be using come the 2nd test in India?

Sureshot

Executive member
Online Cricket Games Owned
Sounds like they were a bit over-ambitious and lost control of business common sense.

evertonfan

Chairman of Selectors
Any pics of these new Adidas bats? I bet they're ace.

Isn't Tendulkar contracted to Adidas as well? I remember him being on one of them 'Impossible is Nothing' Ads last year so maybe he'll start using them as well. Although it'll be well weird seeing him without that MRF bat of his.

Oh yeah, and it won't be long before KP and Becks are in an advert together for Adidas. You can put money on that right now.

Kiko_97

User Title Purchaser
Profile Flag
England
What will happen next? Gunn and Moore making footballs? MRF making rugby boots?
I wanna see the new bats and a KP & Messi ad would rule more.

vaibhav mehta

Chairman of Selectors
I remember him being on one of them 'Impossible is Nothing' Ads last year so maybe he'll start using them as well. Although it'll be well weird seeing him without that MRF bat of his.

Nah He is in contract with MRF till 2010 so I think We are going to see him with MRF.He might be in contract with Adidas but I am not sure He is going to use their bats.

Leicester Fox

Chairman of Selectors
Quality, I must admit some part of me though I've got to get an adidas bat. Thankfully I'm beyond that stage now :p

Presume his contract with adidas will make up for what he lost from Woodworm anyway though. Fred should bring out his own bats, when I got a Woodworm flame everyone just called it the freddie bat anyway.

evertonfan

Chairman of Selectors
I dread to think what Fred would call his bats though. "The Flintoff Strongbow", "The Freddie Vodka and Redbull", "The 24 hour mash up".

But I digress, it would be great to see our Kev and Freddie in an advert with the likes of Becks and Supah Fwank.

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
Adidas are brilliant. I want to try out their cricket stuff. Good move KP and Freddie.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
What will happen next? Gunn and Moore making footballs? MRF making rugby boots?
I wanna see the new bats and a KP & Messi ad would rule more.

Messi's Nike ;)

There was a picture posted in The Sun today of Pietersen's new bat, you could just about make it out, looked pretty swish. Yellow and Black stickers from what i could make out. He'll be using it in the Stanford Super Series, so not got to wait too long to see pictures :D Annoyingly I bought Woodworm Gloves, Gold Hard-Drive and Woodworm Pads in honour of KP, going to have to buy all Adidas stuff now :p.

Seriously, I won't, unless the stuff looks immense. I will be buying some Adidas Spikes though, been wanting a pair of them for ages.

Leggie

Chairman of Selectors
An Adidas Bat?! How cool would that be! I can just imagine it, With like a navy colourto the bat and this logo in the middle

adidasLogo2004-06-1.jpg

Brap brap.

Better not encourage chavs to play cricket though.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
Is he really? My mistake, I seriously thought Messi was Nike. Ah well.

I wanna see some proper picture of this Adidas gear, they need a Cricket Site tbh. The news of Pietersen joining them hasn't been officially announced yet though, I'd expect to hear something Monday tbh, they're probably trying to get Fred onboard before unveiling the new kit. I bet it'll be the sex, the current Adidas stuff is actually really well designed.

Users who are viewing this thread