Player traits for new big ant cricket game

TemPSaad

Associate Captain
for slow start batter and bowler and concentration loser the skill gains are negative.

Chief

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
I love this sort of stuff.

Somewhere I've got like a 80 page design document for a career mode where a player has about a hundred attributes that all fluctuate up and down depending on what you do in and outside of each match. If I'd had got my way you'd all be paying $4.99 for Sandpaper DLC this week. :)

TemPSaad

Associate Captain
I love this sort of stuff.

Somewhere I've got like a 80 page design document for a career mode where a player has about a hundred attributes that all fluctuate up and down depending on what you do in and outside of each match. If I'd had got my way you'd all be paying $4.99 for Sandpaper DLC this week. :)

was that a sarcasm? sorry couldn't figure it out hence asking.

Chief

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Chief never does sarcasm! Its genuine!

Yeah. Chief NEVER does <<sarcasm>> /s

This is genuine though. I wrote it for a game that never came to be. It was way cool, with loads of off-the-field stuff. Encouraged proper RPG-like play (so an outspoken attacking batsman would be an entirely different set of goals to a solid, dour Captain. You could choose who you wanted to emulate. Depending on your goal, your playing style was rewarded if you lived up to your reputation and massively punished if you broke the captain's orders: each innings situation would have different orders depending on the position of the match... You could ignore team orders for example and come out swinging when told to just defend: if you did well you'd be personally rewarded, but punished by the team.

I will try and find it: I'm still desperate to play a game with that in it.

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India

This is genuine though. I wrote it for a game that never came to be. It was way cool, with loads of off-the-field stuff. Encouraged proper RPG-like play (so an outspoken attacking batsman would be an entirely different set of goals to a solid, dour Captain. You could choose who you wanted to emulate. Depending on your goal, your playing style was rewarded if you lived up to your reputation and massively punished if you broke the captain's orders: each innings situation would have different orders depending on the position of the match... You could ignore team orders for example and come out swinging when told to just defend: if you did well you'd be personally rewarded, but punished by the team.

Make a career only game..Would like to play that..:D

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner

This is what I'd like to see more of. Think it comes from playing immersive sims with the RPG elements like Dishonored and Prey where you have skill trees that you can choose to enhance with power ups and it allows you so much freedom in how you play the game. I love test cricket but in game form it feels like a lot of time invested with little variety all in all, that's not to discredit the actual cricket itself I'd love a bit more immersion in my 15 hours (I see no reason why these traits and preferences couldn't be preset to on-disk players) and it'd be perfect for career mode.

Posted my example of the sort screen I'd like to see in the General Discussion for Alastair Cook. https://i.imgur.com/gQtzKpw.png

Think I also have a similar list somewhere that I wrote up probably when in hyper phase.

The idea of the reputation doesn't seem a stretch - think about Red Dead Redemption and it measures you notoriety against the actions you take - killing or not killing. I barely have a clue about game design so I don't how difficult even simple things would be to add to the game but even things like having a trait like 'Attacks spin bowling' when if a player faces spin their mentality goes from say Balanced to Aggressive doesn't seem in the realms of fantasy.

Kass D

County Cricketer
I suppose if PC gets together and Brian storms abit we can come up with a one unbeatable game design., developing a gaming engine and coding will be simply impossible with current technology

D

Dutch

This is what I'd like to see more of. Think it comes from playing immersive sims with the RPG elements like Dishonored and Prey where you have skill trees that you can choose to enhance with power ups and it allows you so much freedom in how you play the game. I love test cricket but in game form it feels like a lot of time invested with little variety all in all, that's not to discredit the actual cricket itself I'd love a bit more immersion in my 15 hours (I see no reason why these traits and preferences couldn't be preset to on-disk players) and it'd be perfect for career mode.

Posted my example of the sort screen I'd like to see in the General Discussion for Alastair Cook. https://i.imgur.com/gQtzKpw.png

Think I also have a similar list somewhere that I wrote up probably when in hyper phase.

The idea of the reputation doesn't seem a stretch - think about Red Dead Redemption and it measures you notoriety against the actions you take - killing or not killing. I barely have a clue about game design so I don't how difficult even simple things would be to add to the game but even things like having a trait like 'Attacks spin bowling' when if a player faces spin their mentality goes from say Balanced to Aggressive doesn't seem in the realms of fantasy.
Effing love that image!!!! Want that!!

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
I am kind of reluctant to let this thread die because I think added immersion would really improve this game - particularly test cricket and career mode. Having the opportunity to get a little more by adapting how you play when using a certain batsman, bowler or fielder because they have more personalised individaul preferences or abilities. I say opportunity because I don't think it should detract from the game for those that aren't interested but at least improve it for those that do.

Soo I did a second draft my what I guess you'd call 'concept art' if that doesn't sound too pretentious. It might just be for the benefit of me and @Dutch.

eLCglJc.png

It doesn't necessarily go into detail of the traits but more how I'd like to see information presented - this is the screen I'd like to see during a match when you press R3 (or whichever button is pressed to bring up the strengths and weaknesses.
  • Top section is the current innings info
  • General info - ability and current form (maybe this would only appear during a series, tournament or career mode)
  • Technique and and Mentality kind of take on board some attributes already in the game and add or change in a way.
  • The last section is career record in the format of the match
To me the attributes being show by a star rating would be better, and I'd say just throw out the skill points (at least in terms of them being visible).

So a 4 star, like I have Cook at for batting, would be say a 80 rating. But the preferences and weaknessesand other star ratings would down/up his rating and also influence his approach; which shots he is more likely to play and when he will play them. How he takes on certain bowlers. As well as that, to me it may be effective to have subtle confidence tweaks - for example I was thinking having a default confidence rating might mean players start at different levels of confidence or become more confident at different rates. But then it may be that a weakness to off spin results in double the confidence drop (if you play and miss) but double the confidence increase (if you get a boundary).

I suppose you wouldn't that sort of thing to be too imposing on the game but something that adds to the immersion for those that want it. If you know a boundary from an off spinner, with Cook will increase his confidence more quickly you might take that chance.

I've of course no idea if any of this could be impossible. :lol

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
That would be next level good @wasteyouryouth. I don't know if they just haven't thought of this sort of thing in that much detail or system constraints stop them from making something like this available.

I'm really not sure how easy it is to implement. Although even small things could perhaps be introduced, anything that adds a little more variety. I just find test matches, for the 15 hour investment (that's about right, yeah?) can be a bit mundane and repetitive. One of the traits/preferences I think would be good is a 'Finisher' trait for someone like Dhoni or Bevan; so if they come in the last third of an ODI and start with slightly higher confidence.

To me, it's transferring those things we all know about players and thinking 'how could this work in this game?'. It's less about skill boosts and more about increases and decreases to confidence or timing windows.

In career mode you could build your own player essentially by 'buying' traits with XP or achievements. Say, you get your maiden first class century - you can unlock a new trait.

Another one, which I have mentioned a few times, would be adding tactics and strategies for teams.

Last edited:
D

Dutch

I am kind of reluctant to let this thread die because I think added immersion would really improve this game - particularly test cricket and career mode. Having the opportunity to get a little more by adapting how you play when using a certain batsman, bowler or fielder because they have more personalised individaul preferences or abilities. I say opportunity because I don't think it should detract from the game for those that aren't interested but at least improve it for those that do.

Soo I did a second draft my what I guess you'd call 'concept art' if that doesn't sound too pretentious. It might just be for the benefit of me and @Dutch.

eLCglJc.png

It doesn't necessarily go into detail of the traits but more how I'd like to see information presented - this is the screen I'd like to see during a match when you press R3 (or whichever button is pressed to bring up the strengths and weaknesses.
  • Top section is the current innings info
  • General info - ability and current form (maybe this would only appear during a series, tournament or career mode)
  • Technique and and Mentality kind of take on board some attributes already in the game and add or change in a way.
  • The last section is career record in the format of the match
To me the attributes being show by a star rating would be better, and I'd say just throw out the skill points (at least in terms of them being visible).

So a 4 star, like I have Cook at for batting, would be say a 80 rating. But the preferences and weaknessesand other star ratings would down/up his rating and also influence his approach; which shots he is more likely to play and when he will play them. How he takes on certain bowlers. As well as that, to me it may be effective to have subtle confidence tweaks - for example I was thinking having a default confidence rating might mean players start at different levels of confidence or become more confident at different rates. But then it may be that a weakness to off spin results in double the confidence drop (if you play and miss) but double the confidence increase (if you get a boundary).

I suppose you wouldn't that sort of thing to be too imposing on the game but something that adds to the immersion for those that want it. If you know a boundary from an off spinner, with Cook will increase his confidence more quickly you might take that chance.

I've of course no idea if any of this could be impossible. :lol
An effing masterpiece!

Users who are viewing this thread