Player traits for new big ant cricket game

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
@wasteyouryouth I love what you did with Cook there. Its kind of like the player skills and abilities in FIFA and PES. Cricket needs that personalisation only because of the little intricacies in gameplay etc
Pretty much inspiried by those, Football Manager (the player preferred moves) and some non-sporting games. Yes, you want that personalisation for the players to bring out intricacies, anything that can make you think more about tactics or strategies and have it feel targeted rather than 'well, I might as well try this.'

Langeveldt

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  4. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
The only trait that has worked so far in big ant productions for batsmen (as I haven't played the latest patch) is overall batsmen skill ... And in DBC14 even that was useless.

Are we not getting ahead of ourselves here?

D

Dutch

The only trait that has worked so far in big ant productions for batsmen (as I haven't played the latest patch) is overall batsmen skill ... And in DBC14 even that was useless.

Well mentalities and shot skills are working so why not dream big?

Langeveldt

Panel of Selectors
Well mentalities and shot skills are working so why not dream big?

I'd like a situation where we could have International Cricket Captain style management with Ashes Cricket graphics. (Remember the EA Manager football games?).. That's why I still dream about AI v AI cricket being interesting to watch in a build. I still have fantasy league dreams where competitors can input a degree of tactical thinking as well as selection.

And I'll believe it when I see it re the stuff working... No I believe you, its just frustrating not being able to play it :)

D

Dutch

I'd like a situation where we could have International Cricket Captain style management with Ashes Cricket graphics. (Remember the EA Manager football games?).. That's why I still dream about AI v AI cricket being interesting to watch in a build. I still have fantasy league dreams where competitors can input a degree of tactical thinking as well as selection.

And I'll believe it when I see it re the stuff working... No I believe you, its just frustrating not being able to play it :)
Not long now!

Chief

Panel of Selectors

I think AI vs AI is mandatory for testing purposes. Should always be there because essentially its just doing what it should be doing against a human player or when simulating. It makes it much easier to test the logic.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner

I agree that attributes and skills are not particularly apparent and I don't see how attributes for six shot types will have more than a blanket impact when you can play in 360 degrees. If a batsman plays based on his overall skill level that's ok for me, I'd rather know that than having to spend time working it out but I can live with it.

Besides, unless there was some kind of Football Manager style research/scouting programme, with people going out and scouting players on all their skills and attributes, what does it matter? Also, there are only approx 100 actual players on the game. Everyone else is not real. ;) I actually think the attributes/skills were far better on DBC 14 (straight bat, cross bat, back foot, front foot etc).

From my point of view this sort of thing is about impacting in-match behaviour based on what, in this game, matter: timing, confidence and mentality (I know that's not always clear). Surely the example of a 'Finisher' trait/skill - where a batsman gets a little confidence boost when they come in - is not beyond the realms of possibility.

Langeveldt

Panel of Selectors
I think AI vs AI is mandatory for testing purposes. Should always be there because essentially its just doing what it should be doing against a human player or when simulating. It makes it much easier to test the logic.

Ditto being relevent when you are at the non striking end in career mode, it should work fairly well at least.

grkrama

National Board President
Yeah. Chief NEVER does <<sarcasm>> /s

This is genuine though. I wrote it for a game that never came to be. It was way cool, with loads of off-the-field stuff. Encouraged proper RPG-like play (so an outspoken attacking batsman would be an entirely different set of goals to a solid, dour Captain. You could choose who you wanted to emulate. Depending on your goal, your playing style was rewarded if you lived up to your reputation and massively punished if you broke the captain's orders: each innings situation would have different orders depending on the position of the match... You could ignore team orders for example and come out swinging when told to just defend: if you did well you'd be personally rewarded, but punished by the team.

I will try and find it: I'm still desperate to play a game with that in it.

Even if you can make a cricket captain or coach type game with it would be pretty cool.

If stuff like that can be implemented with fleshed out gameplay like dbc ashes would be fantastic.

Users who are viewing this thread