Players Retiring After The World cup 2011 Informations:-Tait

Afridi Akhtar

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
A last Cup For Shoaib Akhtar Wish you best of luck in your last cup

attachment.php

Shoaib Akhtar has called the upcoming World Cup his last, claiming it to be the "defining moment" of Pakistan cricket and perhaps of his own career. In a characteristically free-wheeling chat, Shoaib reaffirmed that he wanted to stay fit throughout, and end the tournament with the trophy in hand.

"Is this the twilight of my career? Yes. It is very special, playing in the sub-continent's World Cup," Shoaib said in Dhaka. "I am not sure about how long I'm going to be playing, but I will try to make sure it is full of memories".

"My personal target is to play every match and to leave 45-50 days after winning the World Cup," Shoaib said. "Obviously there's a huge difference between being 26 and 36. I have experience now but at the same time, I'm still bowling very quick, touching 145-150 kph easily." Shoaib used several adjectives to describe the Pakistan team ranging from "dangerous", "the most balanced" and the one having the cause it needs, but what stood out was him using the word "hurt" to describe the side.

"Obviously we are a very hurt side, whatever has happened in the last year or so. Pakistan needs a situation to gather themselves, and playing in India and Sri Lanka in the quarterfinals, that is going to really motivate us. I think the crowds, the situation, what happened to us, whatever the team has been through for the last six-seven months, that will inspire us. We are a very dangerous side but a very hurt side."

"We need to win at any cost, the team needs a situation, and what better situation than the World Cup. I think this is a defining moment for Pakistani cricket.

Shoaib's personal motivation for this tournament comes from proving people wrong, not just about himself, but the team too. "I wish Mohammad Amir was playing right now, I would have retired easily but it is not happening. That's what motivates me to come and play my last World Cup. I want people to realize that still, very honourable people play for our country."

On the field, Shoaib said that Pakistan's ability to swing the new and old ball both ways is their strong point. "The main advantage for us is reverse swing, that's where I think Pakistan team's strength lies. We have the best combination of reverse swing and new-ball fast bowlers. I think we can manage to put it out right," Shoaib said, adding that the slow nature of the wickets might yet hamper the fast bowlers but will assist the batsmen.

Of his possible duel with his old nemesis Sachin Tendulkar, Shoaib confirmed that he hasn't lost sight of the rivalry or of taking the important wickets.

The 2009 World Twenty20 triumph was perfect for the situation at the time in Pakistan, but Shoaib firmly believed that if they can do the job again this time, it could provide the people back home with more than just heroes or a trophy. "Pakistan needs to win this World Cup to bring back cricket to Pakistan, the charm back to the country. People of Pakistan are missing cricket, they are dying to watch players from all over the world playing against Pakistan."

Attachments

• Shoaib Akhtar fields questions at a press conference.jpg
    Shoaib Akhtar fields questions at a press conference.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 3,847
Last edited:

Rehan_24

Panel of Selectors
Performance speaks louder than words. He is a determined and confident player but lets see how he performs in the WC.

McLOVIN

Chairman of Selectors
Can't believe he hasn't F-ed up already, this period of time can be very tempting to him. That's when he does all kinda stupid ████

He finally matured (?)

BKB1991

Panel of Selectors
I guess, this is it for him. Last world cup, you obviously wanna make it count.

Aoun13

Chairman of Selectors
Profile Flag
Pakistan
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Shoaib needs to be bit mature in his bowling. He still thinks that is raw pace without any sort of line or length will win his team a match but the fact is that lots of team are now well equipped with the ability to play fast bowling without any sort of movement.
He needs to be less expansive and at the same time try to pick some wickets otherwise I don't see him playing in this worldcup as a starting bowler and that too when an inform debutant is their to bowl for his country.

P

pcfan123

Can't believe he hasn't F-ed up already, this period of time can be very tempting to him. That's when he does all kinda stupid ████

He finally matured (?)

Over the last 2 years he has completely changed. you never see him mouthing off or being a media hog anymore. He is a sort of silent spearhead now and I don't for one second doubt his determination to win something big.

I'm guessing this means Shoaib is going to crank it up big time, might have to change my vote for the fastest bowler of this WC.

Params7

International Cricketer
Oh there'll be some sledging from him still in extremely heated moments, like we saw in the Asia Cup final, he's well behaved overall though which had to happen with age and the fact that this is his last world cup, will sincerely give it his all. It'll be a treat to watch his bowling this tournament either ways.

P

pcfan123

Deffo, I now have some actual reason to watch this WC. I still get goosebumps watching his early career on youtube, especially his exploits against NZ and of course who can forget that over to Ponting.

McLOVIN

Chairman of Selectors
Over the last 2 years he has completely changed. you never see him mouthing off or being a media hog anymore. He is a sort of silent spearhead now and I don't for one second doubt his determination to win something big.

I'm guessing this means Shoaib is going to crank it up big time, might have to change my vote for the fastest bowler of this WC.

He may be more determinant than ever, but I don't think he will be the fastest bowler of this WC. Lee will kill him by miles this time around, he is way more fit. But it's good to have those to back again, head-to-head. Except this time, they have nothing to prove.

P

pcfan123

I'm more interested in who will have the highest average speed rather than who throws down the fastest single delivery.

Akhtar might get up there with Lee and Tait for highest average. most of the others stay in the mid 80s with the occasional thunderbolt for variation. Even Steyn usually hovers around 84-86 and rarely dishes out the gas.

sami ullah khan

Panel of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Now is the time for Akhtar to prove himself as a top class Pakistani Pacer. If he wins this cup for Pakistan, he will be bracketed right up there with the all time greats of Pakistan Cricket. He has got the right coach to guide him through this last phase of his career. Shoaib Akhter has been an excellent servant of Pakistan Cricket bar a few controversies. I wish him all the luck. I hope Rawalpindi Express stays on the tracks. :thumbs

khalek

Panel of Selectors
Man he's gonna be missed. What an entertainer, always brought the x-factor to the Pakistan team. All the best Shoaib for your final world cup!

AngryPixel

Chairman of Selectors
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Now is the time for Akhtar to prove himself as a top class Pakistani Pacer. If he wins this cup for Pakistan, he will be bracketed right up there with the all time greats of Pakistan Cricket. He has got the right coach to guide him through this last phase of his career. Shoaib Akhter has been an excellent servant of Pakistan Cricket bar a few controversies. I wish him all the luck. I hope Rawalpindi Express stays on the tracks. :thumbs

Few:eek: :p

sami ullah khan

Panel of Selectors
^At least he was not involved in anything relating to match fixing. He was the playboy kind that may be amorous but is far less damaging than what Aamer, Asif, Butt and Akmals have done with our beloved game.

McLOVIN

Chairman of Selectors
He will retire now. Then he will come out of retirement and play for India and be their fastest bowler at the age of 50.

Users who are viewing this thread