Proper test cricket. You are kidding yourselves.

Blake84

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Just bought the game and started playing. Batting cautiously and got to 1/25 off 12 overs. Perfect. Then I lost a couple of wickets so I decided to test out the lofted shot and all of a sudden I'm getting 15-20 an over. And I'm not talking about mindless slogging. I stay still in the crease, play the appropriate shot off the ball and even still leave some. Had 70 odd off 20 balls and they have moved one fielder out to a spot I have not not even hit one to. Next over I'm out when I decide to block one and nick it. The problam is it's not only easier but less risky to play the lofted shot. A perfectly timed attacking shot into a gap will trickle toward the rope and usually not even go for 4 but a poorly timed lofted shot is at leat four ( aus 3/2 in Adelaide, this is crazy) and I'm yet to be caught hitting in the air and it seems that you even get less edges off a lofted shot than attack or defense. So there is no inscentive to leave a ball outside off when it can be hit for 6 with no consequense. I am desperate to make this game work with some stat editing but I dont see how it will work. If I reduce batting stats to stop the slogging will it make it impossible to play normal shots for 4. Is there a way to find the right balance. Please help. I'm watching the ashes and I'm hanging to play.

Blake84

School Cricketer
Yes barmy army, I read your review before I bought the game but I still hoped for better than this. I think it's a game breaker for me because even if I put limits on myself what happens in situations where I need quick runs and it's in the back of my mind that I could slog out. While I do want a realistic game I also want to be trying my hardest. In a way it's worse tham ac09 because even though it was to easy to bat at least there was equal risk in the different shot types. On this game if I want to conserve wickets I'm better off slogging than defending. And it only took me 15 overs to work this out so I didn't even get a bit of fun out of the game. Maybe playing online would be better because my oppenent can move the field out if I'm hitting in the air. No, online play is broken. Of course it is. One last thing, 15th over day 1 at the gabba, collingwood comes on to bowl. This ████ never changes.

cooks1st100

Panel of Selectors
Nowt you can do about the ridiculous bowling changes, but in regards to batting, choose a team you can edit and reduce timing and strength attributes for batting until you find a balance that suits.

Blake84

School Cricketer
I will try some stat editing. The problem is it's just as easy to slog with the tail as it is with batsmen. It's as though when you press the loft button it reverts to easy or medium when your playing on hard. So I assume editing stats wont help this.

adthomp

International Cricketer
Ive found that the only way I can play attacking shots that go for 4 are easy mode, the problem with easy mode??? its to easy and I dont even get out, now if only in normal model perfect timed shots actually went for 4 this wouldnt be a problem

Blake84

School Cricketer
Played with South Africa against India and reduced timing and strength to less than a quarter and reduced everything else as well. It makes no difference. Yes it makes palying defensive/attacking shots harder but I am finding that enough of a challange anyway. Lofted shots stay the same. It's a fundamental flaw in the game where if you play a lofted shot it is to easy to time or place or whatever, regardless of if it's a top order batsmen, tailender or stat edited player. So sorry to harp on it but this means if I want to score runs in a sensible manner I am better off slogging it than playing a normal shot or even defending. That is worse than ac09. So I can either come up with some ridiculous system of limiting lofted shots or get rid of the game which I've had for less than 48 hours, and after this and f1 2010 promise myself to never buy a codemasters game again.
No offence to anyone, but as I started this thread with, you people who play test matches on this game are kidding yourself.

P

pcfan123

so whats your point? the game is crap? we already know that.

Blake84

School Cricketer
Well now I do to. The thing is it's such a big problem to have on a cricket game. Over the years all the games have had problems but nothing that so ruins the basic fundamental concept of how to bat. And after all the sh*t they talked about a realistic game. There is always some bitching and moaning to be done about a game, especially a cricket game but this is the worst thing I've ever encountered in any sports game. I know this has all been said before and I'm the idiot who still bought the game but they had to have known about this and released the game anyway. And it's f*cked because there are so many good things about the game.
So now I need to come up with some contrived system for limiting my lofted shots so I can play this fundamentally flawed game. What an idiot.
Any tips.

Last edited:

Gone4aDuck

International Coach
^^^^^Just play a friend online, that'll make for a more enjoyable game! Oh wait, we cant even do that cos the online is bust too!!!! :facepalm

melucas

School Cricketer
Played with South Africa against India and reduced timing and strength to less than a quarter and reduced everything else as well. It makes no difference. Yes it makes palying defensive/attacking shots harder but I am finding that enough of a challange anyway. Lofted shots stay the same. It's a fundamental flaw in the game where if you play a lofted shot it is to easy to time or place or whatever, regardless of if it's a top order batsmen, tailender or stat edited player. So sorry to harp on it but this means if I want to score runs in a sensible manner I am better off slogging it than playing a normal shot or even defending. That is worse than ac09. So I can either come up with some ridiculous system of limiting lofted shots or get rid of the game which I've had for less than 48 hours, and after this and f1 2010 promise myself to never buy a codemasters game again.
No offence to anyone, but as I started this thread with, you people who play test matches on this game are kidding yourself.

Are you playing on easy or normal. If you reduce both timing and strength to less than a quarter and are still playing lofted shots to the boundary the same as before you edited without getting out then you are probably the best player of lofted shots this game has seen. If you are doing it on hard mode without moving around the crease try it with HUD off or then again maybe it is you who is Kidding themselves. With edited stats I find slogging in T20s reasonably easy, 50 over matches slightly harder and test matches 2 in 4 reach the boundary with 1 in 10 becoming a 6. This is hard mode 3rd person minimum HUD. If I constantly slog then I get caught pretty easily as the majority don't make it over the head of the fielders.
I don't restrict myself to anything except I don't move around the crease to line up the perfect shot every time. If I did this then I would more than likely have a success rate of 3 in 4 with probably 4 or 5 out of 10 going for 6 but that is an assumption as I don't play that way.

Last edited:

Blake84

School Cricketer
First off, I dont move around the crease and I only play realistic shots like cover drive outside off, pull off leg stump etc. On hard. In test matches you probably wont get caught because they never put the field out. And since I wrote that I have become better at timing and even most normal shots I play are cracked for 4. Stat editing is great for defensive and attacking shots and can make it much harder. But when you use the lofted shot button all stats become void. Doug Bollinger can slog them as easily as Hussey or Sehwag or who ever. And the worst thing is it's not just easy to score but you are less likely to miss time and therefore edge one so in a way playing lofted shots is batting sensibly. I limit myself to ten lofted shots per innings and it really hits home when I spend 100+ overs scoring at under 3 an over with my batsmen striking at well under 50 (which I love) then one of my bowlers comes in and slogs 30 off ten balls because I have lofted shots saved up. But that can happen. So I hate to say it but there is no way of fixing the lofted shot problem. But in sticking to my rules I am playing some great test matches, even if it is contrived.

Last edited:

melucas

School Cricketer
Blake are you playing with an edited aussie team or using the team the game came with. With my edited team my bowlers McGrath and thommo do not hit a lofted shot as well as any of my top order batsmen. I dont have a limit on lofted shots as if I play too many I end up getting out.
Last night I slogged 5 balls in a row with my top order batsman (dean jones) in a test off the same deliveries. 2 went for 4, 1 was picked up by a fielder near the boundary, 1 dropped into the outfield and the other was edged and caught by a fielder. I scored 10 and was out. In an innings of all out for 176 off 61 overs I had 16 boundaries no sixes and would have probably slogged around 40 or more balls.
Maybe a combination of changes is required i'm not sure.

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
PlanetCricket Award Winner
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
. Stat editing is great for defensive and attacking shots and can make it much harder. But when you use the lofted shot button all stats become void. .

I know what you are saying but if not using Eng or Aus just keep reducing (if you can be bothered) the timing stats of all players in your team till you find a setting that suits?

Users who are viewing this thread