Rahul Dravid steps down-What next ?

Dhoni is India's new captain, was it the right choice?

• No, Yuvraj should be captain

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, someone else should captain (please specify)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Ever since he took over as the captain,India hasnt done that well.
Unless you count the test series victories abroad.

Some of Dravid's decisions were too stupid in the ODI's
Do you think he should step down and make way for a new person ?
Or Should it go back to Ganguly ?

The topic is especially meant for the ODI's.

Last edited:

Will_NA

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Yes. Captaincy has become a burden and his batting is beginning to suffer. He is not as confident and assured as he knows there is immense pressure on his shoulders. He also looks quite out of his depth especially in the ODI arena. He is neither creative nor attacking.

Maybe, he should remain as Test skipper but he obviously doesn't have the support of the India fans so maybe he should pass on the reigns to the popular Sourav Ganguly.

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
Maybe, he should remain as Test skipper but he obviously doesn't have the support of the India fans so maybe he should pass on the reigns to the popular Sourav Ganguly.
erm, wasn't he captain between 2000 and 2005? I dont think you pass the reigns to someone that you've already dropped from the job do you? Passing the reigns would generally be kept as a term for giving it to a younger player that you've mentored. Not for someone that was dropped for 8 months or so when he was last captain.

Maybe captains would be more successful if people didnt call for them to be replaced every time they lose a series.

Last edited:

Will_NA

Chairman of Selectors
erm, wasn't he captain between 2000 and 2005? I dont think you pass the reigns to someone that you've already dropped from the job do you? Passing the reigns would generally be kept as a term for giving it to a younger player that you've mentored. Not for someone that was dropped for 8 months or so when he was last captain.

Maybe captains would be more successful if people didnt call for them to be replaced every time they lose a series.

Fine. Return the reigns.

Abhas

Retired Administrator
Yes. Captaincy has become a burden and his batting is beginning to suffer. He is not as confident and assured as he knows there is immense pressure on his shoulders. He also looks quite out of his depth especially in the ODI arena. He is neither creative nor attacking.

Have you seen him bat in the Natwest ODI Series??
Just take a look at his overall strike rate - 97. Have you ever seen Dravid hit so many sixes?? What would you call his innings in the 2nd ODI?? He got 92 off just 60 odd balls... Now, who would call that defensive??
imo... his batting in this series has been really brilliant. He was the 3rd highest scorer for India, but, had the Best Strike Rate.
And, regarding the fact that he is neither creative nor attacking, he never was, but now, he is beginning to show his mettle.

I Agree with that completely.

WORLD CHAMPIONS

PC Battrick Cup Champion S17
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
The poll is useless. Dravid is not going to step down anytime soon, and doesn't need to either.

He definately need to step down ;) he was the first captain under whom India was kicked out from the 1st round from World Cup :rolleyes: he is areally great player but definately not worth as a captian :noway

harishankar

Panel of Selectors
India
CSK
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
If Dravid has to step down, I think Yuvraj should get the job. We seem to be pretty thin on captaincy material at the moment and if there is a young player suitable to get the job done, it should be Yuvraj.

Dhoni == not ready in my opinion for the post.

WORLD CHAMPIONS

If Dravid has to step down, I think Yuvraj should get the job. We seem to be pretty thin on captaincy material at the moment and if there is a young player suitable to get the job done, it should be Yuvraj.

Dhoni == not ready in my opinion for the post.

Yuvraj is a very good choice but it may affect his batting ;) right now he is in superb form and i dont think India will want yuvi to be in more pressure :)

evertonfan

Chairman of Selectors
No he shouldn't. It's ridiculous to consider him stepping down. Do some you Indian fans not realise that he's just led you to a series victory in England? The last bloke to do that was Steve Waugh in 2001. As soon as India lose a game or even just lose a session, the first thing that comes up is "Sack Dravid", "Dravid is a disgrace" etc etc. It's just childish.

Animator!

School Cricketer
No he shouldn't not at all. His batting hasn't wained or reduced in class because of the captaincy as far as I can see. He may not be imaginative, but he's your only option. Giving it back to Ganguly would be a step in the wrong direction, especially as I can't see Sourav playing for more than another year or so. Yuvraj, Dhoni, the other contenders are not at all near ready. Yuvraj isn't even a regular in the Test side for christ sake, how anyone can champion a player coming in to captain is ridiculous.
He should stay put, because he is all India have at the moment.

harishankar

Panel of Selectors
India
CSK
Profile Flag
India
No he shouldn't. It's ridiculous to consider him stepping down. Do some you Indian fans not realise that he's just led you to a series victory in England? The last bloke to do that was Steve Waugh in 2001. As soon as India lose a game or even just lose a session, the first thing that comes up is "Sack Dravid", "Dravid is a disgrace" etc etc. It's just childish.

I think we're making a distinction between Test and ODI cricket here. In Tests I would want Dravid to continue even though he fouled up the Test match at the Oval which India should have won... :rolleyes: But I cannot criticize his record in the longer version of the game.

In ODIs he's just not quick enough a thinker on his feet to adapt to the pace of the game these days. We need a younger, more dynamic captain who thinks aggressively...

It's not such a new concept, having a separate Test and ODI captain. Even England have different captains for the different forms of the game.

WORLD CHAMPIONS

Dravid is really not a captaincy material, they won the test series just bacasue they had a great fortune :) 9th wicket was down and there was more than 3-4 hrs of gameplay was left, dont forget how they lost in Southafrica, world cup followed by this ODI series in England . They only won in Bangladesh. See Sourav Ganguly's captaincy :hpraise

evertonfan

Chairman of Selectors
harishankar said:
In ODIs he's just not quick enough a thinker on his feet to adapt to the pace of the game these days. We need a younger, more dynamic captain who thinks aggressively...
Well you haven't got one. That's the long and short of it.

Dravid is really not a captaincy material, they won the test series just bacasue they had a great fortune

Oh so you don't need a good team to win these days? My mistake.

Last edited:

harishankar

Panel of Selectors
India
CSK
Profile Flag
India
Well you haven't got one. That's the long and short of it.

Ah, but we were discussing captaincy, not the teams. Of course, the team is important, but a good captain gets the best out of them and I felt Dravid hasn't done that at least in ODI cricket.

Since we cannot change anything as you rightly point out and this is a cricket discussion forum, isn't it the correct place to discuss issues? 99% of us don't have the power to make decisions regarding international cricket, but does that stop us from discussing it ;) Or am I missing something here?

Users who are viewing this thread