Rahul Dravid steps down-What next ?

Dhoni is India's new captain, was it the right choice?

• No, Yuvraj should be captain

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, someone else should captain (please specify)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

WORLD CHAMPIONS

PC Battrick Cup Champion S17
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Well you haven't got one. That's the long and short of it.

Oh so you don't need a good team to win these days? My mistake.

A good team also need a good captain, who takes great decissions .

evertonfan

Chairman of Selectors
Yeah I am discussing. I'm discussing the fact that Dravid is your best option, and there are no other worthy candidates for the job.

Animator!

School Cricketer
Exactly. Anyone who champions Yuvraj is just an idiot. You cannot bring someone into the test side to be captain. They have to earn their place then rise through to the captaincy. You have no other options except Dravid. Perhaps if Dravid actually got more help from His VC and fielders, Ala Michael Vaughan maybe more dynamic decisions would be made.

harishankar

Panel of Selectors
India
CSK
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Yeah I am discussing. I'm discussing the fact that Dravid is your best option, and there are no other worthy candidates for the job.

Well I happen to disagree that Dravid was the best option. Certainly seniority-wise he was the best option, but certainly not as far as the other qualities of being a captain goes.

He's not been consistent enough and even after a while at the job, he still appears to be learning it. And he's just slow to respond to situations on the field and makes the most bizarre decisions at times which costs us dearly.

Exactly. Anyone who champions Yuvraj is just an idiot. You cannot bring someone into the test side to be captain. They have to earn their place then rise through to the captaincy. You have no other options except Dravid. Perhaps if Dravid actually got more help from His VC and fielders, Ala Michael Vaughan maybe more dynamic decisions would be made.

I was discussing ODI cricket not Test Cricket. However, the topic starter hasn't mentioned the form of the game under discussion, but I guess it would be the ODI form of the game in view of the recent series.

And don't call people idiots just because you happen to disagree with them on a forum. It's not proper etiquette :eek: :crying

Last edited:

Animator!

School Cricketer
Well, no, because they are if they Champion for the test format. It's like for instance a team picking a Wicket keeper just because he's a wicket Keeper but he's a natural number 11 these days. It just wouldnt happen.

Yuvraj would be trying to establish himself as a Test player and Captain the side at the same time, add to that the fact he's your best fielder and wouldn't be able to captain from point.

harishankar

Panel of Selectors
India
CSK
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Why should a man not captain the ODI side even if he isn't a certainty for the Test side? It has been done before. At least I happen to think that Yuvraj is the next logical choice for ODI captain and provided his form and fitness hold good, he could well lead India to the next World Cup in 2011.

Also I don't think his fielding position would matter. After all Paul Collingwood fields at point too but that doesn't prevent him from captaining England, does it? ;)

I think in Test cricket it's a lot different. I certainly don't advocate Yuvraj or any other youngster at the moment...

Leggie

Chairman of Selectors
dravid, in my opinion, is far too defensive when it comes to fielding and desicions, for an example, at the oval, india had a chance to go for the kill and win the series even more convincingly, but nooooo, ' i won't let my seamers who are on song exploit the overcast conditions'.............15 mins later, 'oh no, we are 11-3'

Sureshot

Executive member
It's not easy for Colly though, it often involves lot's of shouting. He should invest in a loud speaker.

Animator!

School Cricketer
Collingwood doesn't field himself at point generally that much. Only when things are going well and the decisions are easy to make. When things get harder to revert to a different position.

Sureshot

Executive member
During this series he's been at backward point throughout most of the Powerplays overs.

Animator!

School Cricketer
But during this series, mostly Broad and Anderson have bowled well. The fields been easy to set, even when Ganguly and Tendulkar teed off.

AbBh

Panel of Selectors
No he shouldn't. It's ridiculous to consider him stepping down. Do some you Indian fans not realise that he's just led you to a series victory in England? The last bloke to do that was Steve Waugh in 2001. As soon as India lose a game or even just lose a session, the first thing that comes up is "Sack Dravid", "Dravid is a disgrace" etc etc. It's just childish.
It's not a knee jerk reaction to losing the ODI series. Many people in India don't approve of his captaincy and believe he was given the job just because of seniority.

Will_NA

Chairman of Selectors
Have you seen him bat in the Natwest ODI Series??
Just take a look at his overall strike rate - 97. Have you ever seen Dravid hit so many sixes?? What would you call his innings in the 2nd ODI?? He got 92 off just 60 odd balls... Now, who would call that defensive??
imo... his batting in this series has been really brilliant. He was the 3rd highest scorer for India, but, had the Best Strike Rate.
And, regarding the fact that he is neither creative nor attacking, he never was, but now, he is beginning to show his mettle.

I Agree with that completely.

As a captain. Not a batsman.

Cricketman

ICC Chairman

THANK YOU.
Yuvraj is highly overrated. Sure, he's a pretty good batsman. But his fielding is dieing and he always has that snobbish look on his face.
Dravid is awesome. He's a good captain but like in any case you guys always need a scapegoat to blame. First it was Ganguly. Then it was Greg. Now its Rahul.
WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM.
If there is anyone to blame its the bowlers. Not Dravid himself.

Users who are viewing this thread