Random Thoughts

Prithvi

10 years at Planetcricket
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
What got you so into trains?

Dunno. I like trains right from my childhood. :)

At 6:04 is the train on fire? Those emissions, meh how can you travel on something like that? Its unsafe man!

Its not unsafe. Its firespitting, and it is common with diesel locomotives. There is a board in India- Commission of Railway Safety (CRS), and they do consider all these factors and give approval.

Probably it is the only government board, related to Indian railways, which is quite strict and they do not sanction approvals to run trains even if there is minimal risk. The trains are divided into some types, and if a new kind of train or a new route is being flagged off, then they must first clear the CRS inspection, and only then they are allowed to run.

You can find more about firespitting here:
https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,1581296

By the way, third part of the vlog is here:

PS: This is more related to railway, and most of you guys here wouldn't be finding it interesting. Just in case if there is a budding railfan here, please do watch. :p

S

Satan666

Dunno. I like trains right from my childhood. :)

Its not unsafe. Its firespitting, and it is common with diesel locomotives. There is a board in India- Commission of Railway Safety (CRS), and they do consider all these factors and give approval.

Probably it is the only government board, related to Indian railways, which is quite strict and they do not sanction approvals to run trains even if there is minimal risk. The trains are divided into some types, and if a new kind of train or a new route is being flagged off, then they must first clear the CRS inspection, and only then they are allowed to run.

You can find more about firespitting here:
https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,1581296

By the way, third part of the vlog is here:

PS: This is more related to railway, and most of you guys here wouldn't be finding it interesting. Just in case if there is a budding railfan here, please do watch. :p

A major pollutant though!

Prithvi

10 years at Planetcricket
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
There have been over 50 accidents, reprted, in the last decade, certainly thats alarming with 5 thus far 2017. Not all due to engine failure but still I certainly wont claim these trains are safe as you @Prithvi has suggested!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Indian_rail_accidents

There were none due to engine failure, as far as my memory goes.

Brake failure might look common, but this also has very less chance. Although all the brake shoes (there'll be 4 per axle) may not get damaged in the run, but there might be a chance of vacuum pipe leakage. However, it is designed in such a way that there is an additional brake pipe fitted in these unforeseen circumstances, and any damage to both of them, the train brakes will get automatically applied.

Most of the accidents happened due to unstable track and rail fractures.

Unstable tracks, it is mistake of the gang men who keep patrolling on tracks, but rail fractures happen when a train is passing.

Best example is this one:
The first 14 coaches in the consist went without any problem, then the rail underneath broke, thereby causing rail fracture, and then the train collapsed.

You cannot blame anyone in particular for these kind of mishaps, and the saddest part is people, journos blame railway minister for this.

The job of CRS is to ensure that anything that is being newly introduced is being genuinely safe, and this fire spitting is something that is already tested thoroughly before these locos were sent into service.

I hope it made some sense.

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  • Treebo Mayflower Hayz
  • Treebo Golden Tranquility
  • Treebo Annora
  • Treebo Orchard Suites
  • Hotel Himalaya by Monarch
  • Southern Star

@zwarrior @PresidentEvil - you two being the ones living in Bangalore (that I know of, others are welcome to comment), which among the aforementioned hotels do you recommend is the best for spending a couple of nights with the family?

PS: I made this list after reviewing these hotels from makemytrip.com, cleartrip.com and yatra.com.

Targaryen

You-Know-Who
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
  • Treebo Mayflower Hayz
  • Treebo Annora
  • Treebo Orchard Suites
  • Southern Star
@zwarrior @PresidentEvil - you two being the ones living in Bangalore (that I know of, others are welcome to comment), which among the aforementioned hotels do you recommend is the best for spending a couple of nights with the family?

PS: I made this list after reviewing these hotels from makemytrip.com, cleartrip.com and yatra.com.
Frankly speaking, though I'm from Bangalore I'm not currently residing there. It's my dads native and I'll spend 2-3 months in a year in Bangalore. The hotels you have mentioned is undoubtedly the best you can get but I think there are better hotels out there. Depends on your budget and the surroundings you would like to have. Like Malls, markets, crowded areas or the places more silent and luxuries.

You wouldn't believe if I say I haven't yet explored half of the city yet.

Targaryen

You-Know-Who
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
  • Treebo Mayflower Hayz
  • Treebo Annora
  • Treebo Orchard Suites
  • Southern Star

The Mayflower has a very good surrounding with Nehru museum, tippu sultan palace, St. Basilica church etc.. A good location to be with your family.

Golden Tranquility on the other hand is also a nice place but you won't have anything to do like the places you can visit in case of Mayflower.

The Orchard Suites is really for the official work like it is nearest hotel to the majestic (bus station and the heart of Bangalore transportation service). If you want to travel more in the local busses, you will have plenty of busses for every 2 minutes. I recommend this if you want to go about the city and don't know much about the bus transport.

I don't have more knowledge about the rest of them. I haven't tried any hotel mentioned above but I'm speaking on the basis of the areas/region where they are situated.

zwarrior

ICC Board Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Profile Flag
India
  • Treebo Mayflower Hayz
  • Treebo Annora
  • Treebo Orchard Suites
  • Southern Star

Tbh, since I am living in Bangalore, I haven't stayed in any of the hotels although I have visited the Monarch. So, I will be telling you about the areas(pros and cons) where those hotels are located instead of how good hotels are because I have no idea whether the hotels are good.

Treebo Mayflower Hayz - This is close to hotel Southern Star, but you have to go little bit more inside for this hotel. SO, whatever I wrote for that applies here, but with lot more distance to cover than that. I would prefer that Southern Star than this (area wise) as that hotel is nearer to main attractions than this.

Treebo Golden Tranquility- This is very close to where I work (if you stay here, we can meet lol :p) and traffic is very bad. I don't like the area too (my personal opinion). And it is very far from city central and no metro here ( construction work is still going on). Not so good restuarants/pubs near by nor any attractions. You have to travel very far if you have to go anywhere as this is in the corner of Bangalore. Local bus is available which connectes to Bangalore central, but it's far to everything. My personal opinion is better skip this hotel.

Treebo Annora- It is near Old Airport road. This is located near lot of IT companies in Bangalore and hence traffic will be heavy as well. Especially in peak hours. Indira Nagar is located around 3kms from here which is again a very good area in terms of pubs/cafes/metro stations. If you go towards Indira Nagar, everything will be easily accessible.

Treebo Orchard Suites- This is not too far from city central. It is located near Sadashiv Nagar which is a posh area. Lot of political leaders stay near this area ( if you go there, throw stones and come :p) and famous kannada actor, late Rajkumar also stayed here. Nearest metro station is 3 kms I think, but local bus transportation is good too.

Hotel Himalaya by Monarch- This is near city central. It connects two parts of Bangalore. Bus stand, Railway stations and even Metro station is nearby. You can feel the touch of old Bangalore here. Small hotels or (sagars) as we say here, theaters, lot of crowds. One of the oldest area, Malleshwaram is near by to this hotel. You will definitely feel get the local touch here.

Southern Star- This is located in a very good area. Metro is very near to this hotel, so travelling will be very convenient for you. The area is good, there are lot of pubs/restaurants/cafes near by. Also few museums, Vidhana Soudha and other local sight seeings are nearby. And even cricket stadium is near to it. Again I repeat, lot of pubs are available and it will be in full flow in evening time till midnight and it's a very good area. I travel near this area daily.

I can recommend you which hotel to stay in-area wise ( from the above list ), but it depends upon what kind of surroundings/purpose you want.

If you have anything else to ask, feel free.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread