Retirements Thread - Imad Wasim

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Stuart Broad calls it a day
Was lucky enough to be there at Trent Bridge when he cleaned up Australia before lunch. It will be odd when he's not around given he's been playing at the top level for so long.

He will be missed both for his bowling and his masterful shithousery.

David Warner might be considering a Moeen-esque turnaround of his retirement come the next Ashes.

DuneTiger

County Cricketer
Avengers
Profile Flag
Australia
I must admit as an Australian, I feel like I go against the grain here but Stuart Broad has always been my favourite English bowler to watch, just a prime entertainer and a spectacular bowler. Much respect.

Ahmad94

Staff Member
PAK...
KK
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I feel like with this more pressure on Anderson to retire as well.

600+ Test wickets and bowling in the mid-80s currently is no joke and a real testament to his hard work. Lets see if he makes an appearance in any of the leagues around the world now.

Either way, exceptional career from Stuart Broad. He has arguably been the most consistent bowler for England this series. He must have realised that now Warner has gone, there is no point in playing anymore.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Never been a big fan of Broad and have felt he was overrated by the English to a large extent.

However,my thoughts don't take away the fact that he has gotten 600 wickets and has had a good run in almost every format. Captaincy credentials to his name as well- good career all through.

To most Indians though, Broad will go down in history as the bowler who was smacked for 6 consecutive sixes by Yuvraj Singh!

Bevab

Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Never been a big fan of Broad and have felt he was overrated by the English to a large extent.

However,my thoughts don't take away the fact that he has gotten 600 wickets and has had a good run in almost every format. Captaincy credentials to his name as well- good career all through.

To most Indians though, Broad will go down in history as the bowler who was smacked for 6 consecutive sixes by Yuvraj Singh!

I think a large part of him being rated highly by the Poms is because he’s always been a match winner in the Ashes which is the main test series that most of them care for. Arguably it is the only form of international cricket some of them even bother with. Him not turning up in India may affect your perception of him too.
Post automatically merged:

I must admit as an Australian, I feel like I go against the grain here but Stuart Broad has always been my favourite English bowler to watch, just a prime entertainer and a spectacular bowler. Much respect.

I’ve seen this sentiment repeated by most Aussie fans to be honest, this isn’t against the grain at all. He’s a great pantomime villain so as to speak, the loveable rogue you can’t help but admire because he walks the talk.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
I think a large part of him being rated highly by the Poms is because he’s always been a match winner in the Ashes which is the main test series that most of them care for. Arguably it is the only form of international cricket some of them even bother with. Him not turning up in India may affect your perception of him too.
Playing a large part of your career on pitches that suit your narrative is bound to get him wickets. Broad ,hasn't been a roaring success on pitches that offer less.

Pinch hitter

Smash… Smash… Smash!
India
RCB...
Avengers
I didn't seen much of Stuart Broad, may be because I don't follow test cricket that much... But the memory of Stuart Broad gets Six Sixes from Yuvi, I will never forget that...

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Stats don't lie

1690864600504.png

His stats in Bangladesh, India and Sri Lanka are terrible. Also, look where he's played a bulk of his cricket
98/167 matches at home- thats almost 60%. Whereas just 8% matches(15 games) on subcontinental wickets where he seems to have been taken apart.

@wasteyouryouth you mentioned Ashwin- while this thread isnt really about him at the moment, here are his stats

1690864839168.png

Ashwin has played approx 55% games in India. But has also played 30 games on non-sub continental wickets. If you want to remove the WI, that still makes it 24 games, around 24%, which is much more than what Broad has done. you might want to blame England's rotation policies, but the truth is Broad has been largely ineffective as a seamer in non-English conditions. Ashwin, on the other seems to have a decent average with the exception of SA and Aus(though he has wickets in Aus). Broad, has neither wickets nor average to show for in the sub-continent(nor in Australia where he has just 47 from 15 at an average of 34)-pitches would have suited his narrative there, but seems he cant perform outside England much.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad