Saurav Ganguly may come back in less tham six months - Selectors

Do You want Ganguly Back?

• Total voters

cricket_lover

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
ZoraxDoom said:
Ok, a lot of crap has been said here:

A) Powar. Excellent spinner, useful batsman, and a good fielder. He isn't useless like you make him.

B) Relating to Sehwag. The Monk was dropped due to the fact that he was in poor form. Agreed. The excuse why he was retained for so long before being dropped? He is an attacking batsman, he is bound to fail here and there. Fine. Ganguly could be attacking too. However, unlike Sehwag, when Ganguly returns, he won't be given another chance if he fails trying to play his natural game. He has to bog down. This is very unfair to him.

C) And it is a good point, why couldn't other batsmen score centuries against Namibia and Kenya if Ganguly could? I think the reason is simple. Less pressure on Ganguly. These teams aren't likely to take every chance to dismiss Ganguly, being inexperienced and all. But stronger teams would. He felt safer to play his natural game against weak teams than against strong ones, where he might fall early and be blamed for the cause the team lost the game (Which could be considered a crucial loss in the WC).
There is a difference between failing "here and there" and failing continuously. Sehwag's average is in the low 30's for the last few seasons.

The downfall of Ganguly in ODI's began when he promoted himself down the order, for the "sake of the team". Now thats besides the point, as an experienced player you should play well in any position thats best for the team.

I still believe he can make a come-back.

newzolt

Club Captain
bakshikshitiz said:
This is what my local newspaper said. What do you think about it?
Ganguly's career in international cricket is virtually over.

usy

Chairman of Selectors
I would say, If he want's come back, come, if not Don't. Totaly up to him. Simple as that.

cricket_lover

International Cricketer
surendar said:
Only in WestIndies tour...:rolleyes: He has a good technique and is one of the match winner. Winners always do the things differently!!! Its not fair to say that Raina is not a good batsman just for the failure in on series...Infact the entire team struggled not only Raina... its also not fair to balme only Raina!!!!:rolleyes:

Good Joke again :clap :clap :clap . I m coming across many jokes in this thread.

he got enough chances for many years!!! ;) mate i m ready to say many times..... " SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST "!!!
To be honest, Ganguly is lagging behind a lot and almost tough chance!!!! U also told that the chance for Ganguly is remote.... We will see whether Ganguly can come out of his shell... if he does... its gud!!! else its a pity!!! But in either cases, We are sure to enjoy the entertainment provided by Indian team as a good cricket lover(thts what ur name says;) )!!!!!
cheers.
You seem to be More's personal assistant/advisor or Ganguly's fiteness/personal trainer.

Ganguly failed for 3 seasons before, right and thats the reason why he's kicked out (i'm sure there are other stronger reasons, but for now lets just assume the cricketing reasons).

If he performs well in England and in domestic season, he has the right to be back in the team. If he performs well, consistently in the team, he'll stay if not he'll be replaced by others.

Last edited:

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
surendar said:
Good Joke :clap :clap :clap

I never knew Ganguly can run and field like Raina!!!! :p :p :p
Also Raina can bat 10000 times better than present Ganguly ( read careful..."PRESENT GANGULY")!!!!! :happy :happy :happy

Powar is bowling so well!!!! So he cant be considered as replacement for Ganguly!!! It shd be either Powr/Bhaji/kumble/MuraliKarthick in WorldCup team!!!!

Running/fielding is not everything. Raina is not that great runner... Kaif is the only great runner in our team. Dravid is poor in running, why dont you pick him out?

ganguly has been a better ODI player always.. He lends stability to the batting order. his experience is always there, he can bowl in a useful manner whenever needed. he is a utility player.

surendar said:
lol ;) ;) ;)

They are not only foreiegners....they are the quality allrounders by profession of cricket :rolleyes:

i think u knw international cricket well :rolleyes: or just only Ganguly cricket.....lol :D :D :D :D

cool.... :cool: :cool: :cool:

Could you at least stop using hordes of smilies? It has started to get irritating...

usy said:
I would say, If he want's come back, come, if not Don't. Totaly up to him. Simple as that.

Its not as easy as you make it out to be!

cricket_lover said:
You seem to be More's personal assistant/advisor or Ganguly's fiteness/personal trainer.

Ganguly failed for 3 seasons before, right and thats the reason why he's kicked out (i'm sure there are other stronger reasons, but for now lets just assume the cricketing reasons).

If he performs well in England and in domestic season, he has the right to be back in the team. If he performs well, consistently in the team, he'll stay if not he'll be replaced by others.

Definitely. He has to perform extremely well in county/domestic cricket and hope that the selectors notice him...

Meanwhile, will the current bunch of jokers (oopsy, made a mistake!!!) SELECTORS be replaced with new ones at the end of their term in September? Or will the current bunch's term be extended by one more year, because of the current rules change which says the selectors can enjoy one more additional year in their term?

I want that fella More, out of that precious job!! He is nonsense, in my opinion!

cricket_lover

International Cricketer
I think the selectors will get another term, thanks to Pawar and co. This also means that you'll see changes happening to the Indian team quite often.

I just want Ganguly to play really well in domestic matches. Not really b/c he'll come back into the team, but once he plays well, it'll be interesting to see how the politics behind his selection will fare.

It will tell you the true story of Indian cricket.

indiancricketer

International Coach
This is good news for the indian team because i really think the only reason why ganguly isnt playing is because Chappell and kiran more personally hate him...hes a good player, and he has shown in the test series agianst pakistan that he can chip in at least 30+ runs in the middle order..thats pretty good considering that he hasnt played international cricket for a long time...Personally even if ganguly wasnt captain of the indian team, it would be great to see him back

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
Its a definite politics between chappell and kiran more, which has now also included dravid. I hope Ganguly plays well in domestic cricket so the public also has something to raise their voice against.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
Come on--the level of cricket in domestic cricket is so much lower than international cricket. Almost all the players in our current team have enviable domestic records, but the ones who are failing still don't cut it at international level. There are so many people playing domestic cricket, a fair lot without too much skill or talent at all.

I would see how Ganguly fares in England as a better interpretation of what he still has to offer to the team.

bakshikshitiz said:
Its a definite politics between chappell and kiran more, which has now also included dravid. I hope Ganguly plays well in domestic cricket so the public also has something to raise their voice against.
A completely unwarranted statement. You have no idea whatsoever if Dravid has anything to do with it. The Chappell spat is well documented (only because Ganguly brought it to the media). And the general public raises their voice about anything don't they? Whether it means burning effigees or cheering the away team.

cricket_lover

International Cricketer
Just a statistical comparison between Ganguly and Sehwag in the last 60 ODI's they've played.

filtered 60 1752 108 30.20 1 10 28 3/37 37.25 0 32 0
60 1860 112* 35.09 3 10 11 3/22 50.54 0 16 0

Ganguly average's 35. Lets compare the last 40 ODI's

filtered 40 1214 97 31.12 0 6 16 3/44 38.06 0 22 0
40 991 90 26.07 0 7 3 3/41 109.33 0 12 0
His average is 5 below Sehwag's.

There isn't a big difference between the two, and considering the fact that Sehwag opens the batting and Ganguly comes one or two down (something he doesn't prefer anyway), you cannot put the entire blame on Ganguly.

He average's about 38 in test matches in the last 30 tests, again not upto his standards, but i believe he'll be a better selection than others, like the two gritty knocks against Pakistan.

The only point i argue is that, IF, he performs reasonably well in domestic and county circuit, he deserves few more chances, atleast one, to give himself an opportunity to retire in a manner that he deserves.

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
A comparison between Saurav And Sehwag.
Although Sehwag's innings yesterday was fantastic, this comparison is b/w their overall play.

For more information, this and this are the links.

f you visit this page it is clearly written that ganguly holds the record for indian captaincy most victories in tests.

The Odi average of sehwag is 32.00 whereas Ganguly's is 40.65. Although ganguly's average is 40.65, less than sehwag;s 52.00, but i believe it is still better than many players in our team.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
There's no point looking at the overall record of Ganguly, because he was obviously a marvelous ODI player a long time ago. Now, what I would like to see, is Ganguly's batting strike rate over the last 60-odd ODIs. And also, another statistic that only statisticians can provide me, his strike rate next to India's position when he came in (score and overs).

blackleopard92

Panel of Selectors
sohummisra said:
There's no point looking at the overall record of Ganguly, because he was obviously a marvelous ODI player a long time ago. Now, what I would like to see, is Ganguly's batting strike rate over the last 60-odd ODIs. And also, another statistic that only statisticians can provide me, his strike rate next to India's position when he came in (score and overs).

absolutely true.
He is now way beyond his greatness.

I would tell members that there is a huge difference between domestic and international cricket.one can score 400+ with ease in domestic, while its near impossible in international.

Ganguly's return is impossible.
Forget ganguly, it would be difficult decision for selectors to find place for tendulkar.Simply because the team is performing well.Most importantly, it looks united, not stray players trying to make a mark in international arena

Ritwik

co-founder
Forget ganguly, it would be difficult decision for selectors to find place for tendulkar.Simply because the team is performing well.Most importantly, it looks united, not stray players trying to make a mark in international arena

Not finding a place for tendulkar? Lol. If you read the posts in this thread and others in this forum, you'll find that people have been saying (correctly) that India misses tendulkar. Apart from missing his skills (he can basically bat anywhere in the middle order), his experience, his mentoring of youngsters, his bowling and generally very good fielding plus his exuberance in the field. You know what, just tendulkar's name appearing in the lineup makes a psychological impact on the opposing team. For christ's sake - the chap has got 74 international centuries. No one in international cricket with the possible exception of lara has the same aura.

This is the biggest problem with Indians, getting too involved in the achievement of the present and losing a hold over the perspective. Mentioning tendulkar and ganguly in the same breadth is blasphemous. The latter was once a good batsman and an inspirational captain, the former is the greatest indian batsman, ever.

Most of india's young guns - sehwag, yuvraj and dhoni have said that Tendulkar is their all time favourite, I am sure they would feel more uplifted whenever they're playing around him.

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
Yeah, today people only think about the present and do not see a person's great potential through his past. ganguly has great potential and it would be very unfair if he is not given another chance

Users who are viewing this thread