Should the National Selection Panel be renamed as Chennai Selection Panel?

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
Just look at Murali Vijay's record and then come back and talk to me. Look at Balaji's stats for the last Ranji season. There's no reason to explain why Badrinath deserves a chance. He's performed pretty much every single season. You probably think that people like Tyagi and Kulkarni should have been given a chance instead. They are too young, too raw. It's too early. Get over yourself.

It's about time Chennai was recognized by the selectors. It's not as if they're just selecting any player from TN. They're selecting the best, players that should be chosen whether they are from Mumbai or Chennai, because they have been consistently performing well in domestic cricket.

Half of those players aren't even from Chennai as people have already mentioned.

Last edited:

Hamish

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
The fact that some people think Dhoni, Raina etc are from Chennai scares the hell out of me, it just shows that the IPL, unfortunately, really seems to be taking over Indian cricket to such an extent that national selections are sometimes based on T20 achievements.

And this thread is really pointless, it just highlights the regionalistic views of some so called "Indian supporters", who always come back to the fact that too many players are selected from one state, or that too little are selected from somewhere else (I accept that bias in selections can occur). For god sakes, it's a national team, and if you are going to debate selections, do it only from a performance based point of view and none of this nonsense about regional/state preferences.

PS: Badrinath has definitely got a raw deal, and unfortunately at the age of 29 his time is running out, considering the selectors trend of going after younger players

International Coach
stop starting such stupid threads and dont try to divide people based on region,the people in the team are there because of performance and you can check their domestic records.

rahuldravidfan

International Cricketer
where were u when all these when bombay was dominating??

Yet another raj thackery??? u better dont mess with us

Dude, you need to relax, awrite !

Look, none of us liked what the MCA did all these years. Neither did the people from Mumbai like it, nor did the people from other parts of the country. When Kris Srikkanth took over, he vowed to end the regionalism. But what is he doing? He's pushing his own lads ahead.

If you make the same mistakes as your predecessors, what is the difference between you and them?

And buddy, talk sense. You don't need to fight to show your intelligence. The Raj Thackeray thing is COMPLETELY uncalled for !

SHRAVI, GAZZA & EVERYONE PLEASE READ-

For the benefit of people bad with abbreviations, I referred to the "Chennai Super Kings" Selection Panel as the Chennai Selection Panel instead of writing CSK Selection Panel. I guess there's a word limit for the title as well, and Chennai fits in well. At no point have I referred to ANY player as being from Chennai. I've spoken about the IPL franchise they play for, which interestingly no one really understood. Considering the fact that most of you people took less than a second to pass a judgement, I request y'all to atleast read the whole thing before commenting. It had a line which said-
Is the Indian team turning more into a Chennai Super Kings team?

If still many of you chose to naively ignore the crux of the thread and interpret it your way, I really can't help it :)

Last edited:

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
Either way, those players deserve their chances. Only Gony is debateable. Gony was not selected only because of his IPL1 performances but his performances in the List A tournament right before it as well. It's not as if such mistakes have not been made before. The rest are truly justified.

Dhoni- Please tell me you're joking... He had already established himself as the #1 keeper.
Raina- He has been on the selectors minds for years now as one of the biggest talents in Indian cricket.
Badrinath- He didn't do much in the IPL. He was selected because of his FC and List A performances
Balaji- Had a prolific Ranji season last year.
Murali Vijay- Deserves, it to say the least. Once again, not because of the IPL. He didn't play enough matches, even for CSK. He was picked because of his stellar record in FC and List A cricket.

Last edited:

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Either way, those players deserve their chances. Only Gony is debateable. Gony was not selected only because of his IPL1 performances but his performances in the List A tournament right before it as well. It's not as if such mistakes have not been made before. The rest are truly justified.

Dhoni- Please tell me you're joking... He had already established himself as the #1 keeper.
Raina- He has been on the selectors minds for years now as one of the biggest talents in Indian cricket.
Badrinath- He didn't do much in the IPL. He was selected because of his FC and List A performances
Balaji- Had a prolific Ranji season last year.
Murali Vijay- Deserves, it to say the least. Once again, not because of the IPL. He didn't play enough matches, even for CSK. He was picked because of his stellar record in FC and List A cricket.

Well written. And Balaji played a single ODI or so for India recently and vanished again. Gony has not played international cricket yet (I think so!) and is not even in the selectors radar right now.

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
More like Delhi:

1) Virender Sehwag
2) Gautam Gambhir
3) Ashish Nehra
4) Amit Mishra
5) Virat Kohli
6) Someone else i'm missing at this point

There are 6 starters in the team from Delhi. There is only ONE south Indian who is even in the fray, Dinesh Karthik. We get continually screwed over.

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
Well written. And Balaji played a single ODI or so for India recently and vanished again. Gony has not played international cricket yet (I think so!) and is not even in the selectors radar right now.

He has. Twice.

He's since fallen off the radar though (has even fallen off CSK's radar :laugh).

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
He had the Dhoni backup though. Chennai [IPL] players did get a big boost after their successful campaign in 2008, especially with Dhoni captaining both sides. We saw Raina back in the team, Gony, even Badri (albiet briefly).

King Cricket

International Coach
He has. Twice.

He's since fallen off the radar though (has even fallen off CSK's radar :laugh).

Never really liked this Gony. He's an arrogant idiot. The guy even threatened to murder his parents some months back, because he suspected that they were doing voodos and black magics (:laugh) to bring about his destruction. I think he's mentally challenged or something.

Pranav

ICC Board Member
More like Delhi:

1) Virender Sehwag
2) Gautam Gambhir
3) Ashish Nehra
4) Amit Mishra
5) Virat Kohli
6) Someone else i'm missing at this point

There are 6 starters in the team from Delhi. There is only ONE south Indian who is even in the fray, Dinesh Karthik. We get continually screwed over.
Ishant Sharma is from Delhi as well. He'd occupy that 6th position. ;)

Delhi rules! .:D.

Users who are viewing this thread