Solve your computer problem with the help of experts!

Abhas

Retired Administrator
Its never bad to defrag your hard disk.
The regularity of using it should depend on your use of the computer. Its good to analyse it once in a while to check for major fragmentation.
Once a month seems okay for an average computer user. :)

Abhas added 2 Minutes and 43 Seconds later...

My computer is really slow and certain programs won't respond.
Any reasons?

Again, I would start with my trademark response.
Download, update Spybot Search and destroy.
Scan your computer for spywares/malwares.

If you have an antivirus, do a full system scan as well to ensure protection.
I recommend Avast(free) / Nod32(paid).

Abhas added 2 Minutes and 6 Seconds later...

1st problem I am the :cool: 1st :cool:
So ,
I am confused in buying something
Should I upgrade my RAM i-e 768 MB to 1536 MB OR My VGA Card Nvidia 6600 GT 128 MB to 256 MB. I had 2.6 Ghz Processor and 80 GB Hard disk

How do you plan to make 1536? Do you have 4 slots? 512x2 + 256x2 ?
It would be better to buy 2 gb - 1gb x 2.

westindies2007

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Talking of defrag, how often should you do it? I do it about once a month.

Yep once every month is good.
i normally do it every week, because i test software.

PC it's like a a work desk.
if you get new files, or you take out files from your drawer etc. and put it on the desk, and just put back everything in the draw with out arranging it, it would be hard to find.

this same thing happens to PC.

so to arrange your file, you should do Defrag. where it would sort out all your program,etc. and make you Pc runs faster. :D

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
1st problem I am the :cool: 1st :cool:
So ,
I am confused in buying something
Should I upgrade my RAM i-e 768 MB to 1536 MB OR My VGA Card Nvidia 6600 GT 128 MB to 256 MB. I had 2.6 Ghz Processor and 80 GB Hard disk
I would seriously suggest to upgrade nothing in that PC at all. Only upgrade when you have funds to change the entire thing and get all new components - because all are kinda old that if you would upgrade one you wouldn't notice any performance increase due to the drawbacks of other slower components, an effect known as bottlenecking.

DDR ram is way too expensive now, so no point upgrading. Again, save some money now and do a mass update later and enjoy. ;)

Kshitiz_Indian added 4 Minutes and 4 Seconds later...

Kieron, there could be n number of reasons for that. First things first, get rid of Limewire if you have it. :p Secondly, don't overstress the PC with anti-virus softwares, if you have too many.

As Abhas said, scanning for viruses and spywares should be generally the first step, and there's another thing I can help you with. Do this -

1. Go to start - run - type msconfig and press enter.
2. Go to the startup tab.
3. If all the options stick around without scrolling down(:p) take a screenshot and show here. Or if they are more, take 2 screenshots and show all of them here. :p Then we can help you. :)

Chetan0304

Chairman of Selectors
Hey KI & Co. i currently have this pc with Intel P4 3.00Ghz,2.99Ghz 1Gb RAM.Dad's thinking of Buying a new PC Can you all Suggest me Everything newer i don't know what's it's called in Expert language really a dump in all this.

Cheers

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
Hey KI & Co. i currently have this pc with Intel P4 3.00Ghz,2.99Ghz 1Gb RAM.Dad's thinking of Buying a new PC Can you all Suggest me Everything newer i don't know what's it's called in Expert language really a dump in all this.

Cheers
What will be the usage of the new PC? For what all tasks will it be used?

When we know this we can tell about the required horsepower. :)

Pranav

ICC Board Member

Cheers
Do you want it for home use or business use? Do you want it for playing games or doing projects?
If you give us some more details it will be good. ..:D..

Chetan0304

Chairman of Selectors
I have a Graphic card of 512 mb (not added on motherboard) for games ,Till my Graphic card limit) Bro does his animation lessons etcc..

chetan0304 added 4 Minutes and 5 Seconds later...

Homeuse games,Project...

westindies2007

Panel of Selectors
Kshitiz_Indian and Abhas
Thanks Very Much for having Faith in this Thread. I hope many people will get they problem Solve. :clap:clap:clap

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
I'm sorry but that too doesn't really clear the usage of the PC. Please list one by one what all uses will it be used for. By animation lessons, what kind of applications are used, like Maya's, 3dsmax?

What kind of games do you play and how much, what level?

All this will determine what kind of PC do you need and if you need any at all! :)

Chetan0304

Chairman of Selectors
dunno the Software Bros uses (Diff user) he shows his project it's very high defined result animation.me for Games Prince of Persia EA Games(almost all) Latest details?

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
Well then, ok.

Do you guys feel like you need an upgrade or are just upgrading for the sake of upgrading?

The reason I'm saying this is, a lot of new technologies are on the horizon, in the Indian market i.e. The radeon 4800 series are just round the corner(I mean available at "non-loot" prices if you get me), and P45 is coming up really soon too, so if you end up buying a PC in the next month, you could be regretting later. Although this doesn't mean the PC you'll get right now would be inferior - it would still be generations ahead of your current PC, its just that you might end up paying more for what you would later.

And if you do want to upgrade right now, please tell us your budget so we can squeeze out every wee bit of performance in it! :)

Leicester Fox

Chairman of Selectors
Not really a computer problem but I need this translating. I have offended some Turkish people on facebook. Not that they can do anything hte pricks. I need to know what this means, this one was more friendly though so it might not be anything bad: napıyosun türkceyı merak ediyormusun

I can't find a good translator for turkish lol.

westindies2007

Panel of Selectors
Not really a computer problem but I need this translating. I have offended some Turkish people on facebook. Not that they can do anything hte pricks. I need to know what this means, this one was more friendly though so it might not be anything bad: napıyosun t?rkceyı merak ediyormusun

I can't find a good translator for turkish lol.
try out one of these

http://www.stars21.com/translator/english_to_turkish.html

http://www.ectaco.co.uk/English-Turkish-Dictionary/

http://multiz.com/translator.php

Users who are viewing this thread