Soon On PlanetCricket...

treva

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
The proper name of tennis is lawn tennis, as apposed to the British upper class game real tennis.

A Level PE does come in handy occasionally ;)

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
It's just called Tennis :)

One of the things I have realized, and whilst this is completely off topic, is that the sub continent members to actually have a fair grasp of English. It's just not Modern English, the way they structure the sentences and vocabulary used is very reminiscent of an older style of English.

P

pcfan123

The proper name of tennis is lawn tennis, as apposed to the British upper class game real tennis.

A Level PE does come in handy occasionally ;)

that may be the case but I have never in my life heard it referred to as "lawn tennis"

no one has ever asked me to play "lawn tennis" with them. I have however played "tennis" many times

treva

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Of course, it is a very old and outdated term. It is, however, still correct. It might still be known as Lawn Tennis in other parts of the world.

Aditya

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Yeah, I thought that maybe in the other parts of the world it's called "lawn tennis" but I guess not much members here are familiar with tennis being called lawn tennis.

AbhishekS

Chairman of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
It should actually be called as 'Tennis' but as many get confused between 'Tennis' and 'Table tennis', people here (in Mumbai) usually use the term 'Lawn tennis' for 'Tennis'.

----------

This is something useful I found.

The History of Tennis

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
that may be the case but I have never in my life heard it referred to as "lawn tennis"

no one has ever asked me to play "lawn tennis" with them. I have however played "tennis" many times

One of the things I have realized, and whilst this is completely off topic, is that the sub continent members to actually have a fair grasp of English. It's just not Modern English, the way they structure the sentences and vocabulary used is very reminiscent of an older style of English.

Dum

P

pcfan123

haha woops.

I have noticed that they use older English when watching cricket though, some of the SC commentators use phrases which I've only read in books or heard in older movies.

"He's a smooth operator" haha

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
That's what I'm saying, hence the use of the term 'lawn tennis'. I mean even American English has remnants of a mid 1900's British English and then the sub continent English obviously goes even further back to the ye olde days of English.

Users who are viewing this thread