South Africa's fielding

OnlyClarkey

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Why are they THAT much better? Every other nation must practice in the field as much as them. Is it in their blood, or do they really work that much harder at it?

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Are they THAT much better? Or is it just the fact they have Gibbs, Duminy and De Villiers? That would help a lot, everyone else only has to be 'decent' and you have a very good fielding side.

OnlyClarkey

Club Cricketer
I think that AB, JP and Herschelle are all outstanding fielders but it's not as if the other 7 (not counting Boucher, obviously) are let downs. Graeme Smith is a very handy fielder imo, and although I can't say players like Kallis and Smith himself are very agile, they have good hands and good arms, and Steyn is quick and usually good at sliding and diving.

McLOVIN

Chairman of Selectors
how can you guys for get about jonty rhodes???

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Australia are still a good fielding unit. Comes down to training and sheer talent. We are starting to lose our talented fielders with Symonds all but gone, Ponting nearing that time.

karnog

International Cricketer
I have to agree with Onlyclarke. Its been like this for decades. I still hear Ian Chappell rant on about a brilliant South African fielding unit in the 60s that rivaled no other. Its almost like why India keep producing excellent spinners. I think its probably part of the cricket culture. Never been to the nation but my guess is fielding is taken very seriously. Perhaps its what made South Africa competitive against the big 2 in the early days of cricket. Add to the fact they have excellent former players for it and i think its a recipe for success. My two cents\

P

pcfan123

It just seems that they enjoy their fielding. Cant say the same for many other teams. Perhaps that is the big difference.

Users who are viewing this thread