Stadiums & Their Pitch Conditions

jkartik

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
i just want your views on how "Ideally" a particular stadium / country pitch functions.

e.g

Eden Gardens Kolkata / India -

- slow,dry and cracks up early.
- favours spin
- some movement off the pitch (cutters)
- lack of swing after the initial 10-15 overs.

and also the ground size. by that i dont mean crowd capacity...
i mean the length of the boundaries.

if you could give me some info on the following stadiums, it'll do a lot
of good while programming it ! :)

- The Lords
- MCG
- SCG
- Sabina park, West Indies.
- Eden Pack,Auckland
- Gaddafi stadium,Lahore
- Colombo Stadium, Sri Lanka
- New Wanderers, Johannesburg

Last edited:

MS Dhoni

School Cricketer
I have a question. I know its not about this topic but I have Feroz Shah Kotla completed for a long time but I can't resize it according to your template that you have given in the templates thread. I can't open it in Maya. If I can give you the Maya format file then can you make it according to the size that is good for it?

jkartik

Chairman of Selectors
just give me the stadium in .FBX format and it'll take care of it.

btw, exepcting some replies from the aussies and the british ! ;)

drainpipe32

Chairman of Selectors
Melbourne Cricket Ground

Offers good bounce throughout the game
Maintains consistency, but can be difficult to bat on late
Drop-in wicket
Will swing, especially with cloudy conditions (since its meblourne, 50/50 chance)
Rarely helps spinners, altough leggies kumble and warne have prospered in recent years

Big boundaries (225m ish), loud biased crowd, mexican wave

can produce all seasons in one day

Sydney Cricket Ground

Will spin early and throughout
Brilliant batting wicket for first innings
Cracks quite thoroughly on day three
Bit of swing

Left_Hander

Chairman of Selectors
Do you only want suggestions for the stadiums that you have listed? Because I could do some of the other Australian stadiums.

jkartik

Chairman of Selectors
Do you only want suggestions for the stadiums that you have listed? Because I could do some of the other Australian stadiums.

yeah sure why not....might also come in handy if someone makes another australian stadium. Perth and adelaide would be the ideal choices ! ;)

Left_Hander

Chairman of Selectors
Ok JK, I'll do them now.

Perth
A hard and fast track know for its bounce. The ball comes onto the bat nicely and allows batsmen to play their shots. Has been known to take turn recently but traditionally a pitch that fast bowlers love to bowl on. Seem like fairly normal sized boundaries, good fast outfield.

Adelaide
A dusty track which is can be very flat. The pitch favours spinners and provides more and more turn as the game progress. Batsmen generally find this pitch good to bat on. The boundaries are very short square of the wicket (60-65m) but are longer down the ground and behind the wicket-keeper.

Are these extensive enough? Feel free to correct this, or add anything to it.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
Lords of late has had good pace, abit of green on top allowing for abit of seam movement but it generally gets flatter as the game goes on. First up there's normally something in it for the bowlers, but by the 5th day it can turn abit, but it generally gets better for batting.

Sabina Park should be like the Sabina Park pitches of old. White deck, rock hard, offering serious pace and bounce. Good for batting if the bowlers bowl poorly, but against top quality pace bowling the ball should sail through and definitely offer something to the bowlers.

Sureshot

Executive member
Lord's has one of the quickest outfields on a cricket ground. Dimensions vary, but they are normally 70 yards.

adyhorn

County Cricketer
Yep agree about Lord's, but in county games it has had quite a bit of turn of late, although it's probably because Middlesex have Shaun Udal and Murali Kartik in the first team.

manee

Chairman of Selectors
I think it will be over ambitious to try to characterise each pitch. Characteristics for countries (seams early and spins in Sri Lanka, seaming in England and NZ, quick in SA and Australia) will do fine, imo. Stuff like the Lords slope and the sheer pace of Perth will be an added bonus but I think any more than that would be unnecessary.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
I'd figure your best choice is to make grounds highly customisable, but only make a couple of grounds at first and rely on being able to install more grounds later (longterm value for everyone!). I'll just roll out info, feel free to use it as you like.

Users who are viewing this thread