Super 8: 17th Match SA v WI

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
Discussion for the Super 8 match-up between South Africa and West Indies, scheduled to start at 12:30 GMT on Saturday, June 13.

The West Indies have just scored an "upset" (if there is such a term, in Twenty20) win over India while the Proteas are yet unbeaten in this tournament, and one can say, unchallenged.

Who will conquer? Group E is wide open right now, and a win for the boys from the Carribbean can blow a hole in the hole.

ZexyZahid

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Here is the preview:

Less than 18 hours after beating India, West Indies face another tough challenge.

Team news

So smooth was South Africa's execution in every aspect against England, that they are almost certain to field the same XI.

South Africa (probable) 1 Graeme Smith (capt), 2 Jacques Kallis, 3 Herschelle Gibbs, 4 AB de Villiers, 5 JP Duminy, 6 Mark Boucher (wk), 7 Albie Morkel, 8 Roelof van der Merwe, 9 Johan Botha, 10 Wayne Parnell, 11 Dale Steyn.

West Indies had chosen Lendl Simmons over Xavier Marshall against India, and that choice worked perfectly for them, with Simmons being outstanding in the field and scoring a vital 44. They're most likely to go with the same team too.

West Indies: (probable) 1 Chris Gayle (capt), 2 Andre Fletcher, Shivnarine Chanderpaul, 4 Ramnaresh Sarwan, 5 Dwayne Bravo, 6 Lendl Simmons, 7 Kieron Pollard, 8 Denesh Ramdin (wk), 9 Jerome Taylor, 10 Fidel Edwards, 11 Suleiman Benn.

Inspired West Indies look for encore | Cricket News | ICC World Twenty20 2009 | Cricinfo.com

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
A West Indian win will complicate and toughen things a lot for India (and England). If West Indies win tomorrow, then the India-England match will become a do or die game for England (lose and they are knocked out). If India lose vs England, they will face the prospect of thumping South Africa by an unbelievable margin to get up on top of both South Africa and England on the NRR (which sounds impossible) to qualify. Although if West Indies beat SA big tomorrow, SA's run rate could come down, making the contest more interesting.

A South African win would be better tomorrow (they will confirm their place in the semis and leave the other spot fight to India, WI and England)

Last edited:

ali_ed2001

Club Cricketer
SAF will more than likely get a win and secure a semi-final berth tomorrow, unless of coarse Chris Gayle has something to say about it. If he doesn't perform tomorrow I cannot see Westindies winning. SAF are on top of their game right now.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
SAF will more than likely get a win and secure a semi-final berth tomorrow, unless of coarse Chris Gayle has something to say about it. If he doesn't perform tomorrow I cannot see Westindies winning. SAF are on top of their game right now.

Indian fans said the same thing, and Bravo and co. (without Gayle) beat us convincingly. I dont underestimate the West Indies. I think they will pose a strong threat to South Africa, although SA are favorites

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Should be a ripper, both teams coming off convincing victories. WI have the ability to take the game to SA as long as their players keep performing in particular the bowlers. If they get that sorted then their batting will face its greatest test against the SA bowling attack.

King Cricket

International Coach
If West Indies wins this we'll be in trouble. So.........Go Saffas! :banana2:banana2:banana2:p ;) Smash Chris Gayle and Co!!!! :happy

mdoggie

Club Cricketer
This should be an interesting match. If we are going to win then we need to get Gayle and Bravo out early and we will be on top but they have plenty of batting so it won't be straight forward after those two. Bowling wise, West Indies don't look as threatening. Taylor never got his radar going and Bravo isn't the greatest bowler.

Here is to a South Africa win :cheers

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
South Africa is batting first and both teams are unchanged. If SA make anymore then 160 I would pretty much say they have the game locked up.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
South Africa has lost there way here, the Windies are bowling pretty well too.

nikhil_99

International Coach
A very good knock by Gibbs and Kallis,they are 165+ in 18 overs,they should get around 180-185

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
What happened between Benn and Sarwan? I missed it.

I'm not sure tbh. When Benn was bowling Sarwan was at short fine-leg and one of the batsmen hit a four and Sarwan couldn't catch up. Benn seemed to think he should of dived earlier.

But in saying that all the West Indies players look pissed, there wasn't much celebration when they took wickets.

Users who are viewing this thread