Pollock
Warne
Murali
McGrath

12th man: Steyn

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
Online Cricket Games Owned
Meh. I'd have Ponting, Lara, Sachin, Gilly, McGrath, Murali and Kallis in there. Sehwag and Hayden to open I guess?

Sehwag
Hayden
Ponting
Kallis
Sachin
Lara
Gilly
???
???
Murali
McGrath

Any suggestions to fill that up? Pollock? Bond? Steyn? Zak? Vettori? Warne?

tech.007

Club Cricketer
Sehwag
Gilchrist(wk)
Ponting(C)
Sachin
Lara
Kallis
Flintoff
Warne
Murli
McGrath
Lee

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
Horrible fielder, terrible captain and senior player, and doesn't show up when the team needs him. Pass.

drainpipe32

Chairman of Selectors
Horrible fielder? Really?

And he's been forced into the captaincy role....

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
Well, he's pretty useless anywhere but the slips, and isn't that great there either.

A senior player should be able to help the captain out in pressure situations, give advice, etc. Going by how he's captained, it's probably safe to say he's not that helpful on the field normally.

He is a terrific batsman though, was magnificent in that purple patch...

But yea, no dice. I need two bowlers to complete my side, was thinking Pollock and Warne. 2 spinners, 3 seamers, adds to the batting depth (Which I'll need with both Murali and McGrath in the side!)

drainpipe32

Chairman of Selectors
Sorry, but as an Aussie I had Warne as my No. 1 spinner :p

Matthew Hayden
Graeme Smith(vc)
Ricky Ponting(c)
Rahul Dravid
Mohammed Yousuf
Jaques Kallis
Adam Gilchrist(wk)
Shane Warne
Muttiah Muralitharan
Makhaya Ntini
Glenn McGrath

12th Man: Shaun Pollock

The batting is weak. I couldn't decide between Ntini and Pollock, so Pollock got 12th man because he's an allrounder :\

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
Bah, I missed out Dravid in my side. Oh well, guess I could drop Sachin for him...

ballers101

Club Cricketer
Okay if you have Sachin Tendulkar on the side you need Yousuf. He is easily one of the top 3 batsmen of the decade he is one of 3 players who has averaged over 58 I believe. I am not being biased. Plus, his captaining skill has nothing to do with the team of the decade. He won't the captain anyways so that point makes no sense if your argument. He isn't a great fielder but he is a decent fielder at worst. Also, he broke a record in the decade a record that will be extremely hard to beat.

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
not really. Sachin, Ponting, Kallis, Dravid have all been consistent for almost the entire decade while Yousuf owns most of his success to just a few years. He has been a great batsman for Pakistan but the other 4 have been much better.

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
Virender Sehwag
Matthew Hayden
Ricky Ponting
Sachin Tendulkar
Rahul Dravid
Jaques Kallis
Adam Gilchrist (wk)
Shane Warne
Dale Steyn
Brett Lee/Murali
Glenn McGrath
12th: Murali / Lee

MoYo owes a lot of his success to that one big year in 2006, plus plundering weak Bangladeshi and Zimbabwean attacks on absolute roads in Pakistan. There was an article recently on cricinfo i think and after taking out some of the minnow teams etc his average dropped considerably.

Plus, he's a sell out. ICL over national side? Nice one...:sarcasm

Anyways, on topic. I reckon the batting order pretty much picks itself. Sehwag and Hayden is the dream-team opening combination of the decade, Ponting is cricketer of the decade, Tendulkar and Dravid are legendary batsman, and Jaques Kallis has proven himself to be one of the best batsman South Africa (and the world) has ever produced. He'll fit into the All-rounders spot at 6 and offer some solid bowling as well.

I wanted 3 front line seamers to accompany Warne. McGrath is again another obvious pick. I went for Dale Steyn who is undoubtedly the best fast bowler who has emerged over the last few years. I know a lot of you will question the selection of Brett Lee, but many forget what he can do when in top form. He's fast, quick, bowls with swing and can really trouble the batsman. Even as recently as 08 was he in great bowling form, even won the Border medal!

Mural as 12th man and will replace Lee on turning tracks.

Cricketman added 8 Minutes and 30 Seconds later...

Since the Aussies were so dominant in the 2000s, we should probably pick a ROW side:

Virender Sehwag
Graeme Smith
Rahul Dravid
Sachin Tendulkar
Brian Lara
Jacques Kallis
Kumar Sangakkara
Dale Steyn
Shaun Pollock
Anil Kumble
Muttiah Muralitharan

Last edited:

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
for the ROW wicketkeeper you might want to go with Sangakkara. He might be playing out of his position but he deserves the mention.

ballers101

Club Cricketer
Okay I don't know what Pakistan Cricket you have been watching but in the past decade Mohammed Yousuf has been as more consistint that Sachin Tendulkar when it comes to Test Cricket. Not ODIs Test Cricket. First off, let me say one thing in the past decade there has been 5 years where he has gotten 600 runs or less. 5 YEARS! So much for you oh so consistint batsmen. I am not talking about ODIs by the way I am talking Tests. Even though Yousuf was out of Test Cricket for quiet some time he is still easily one of the most consistint batsmen in the past decade. The ICL stint that was just stupid but that has nothing to do with anything. That does not prove whether or not Yousuf deserves to be in the Team of the Decade. Also, in that record year he did not face teams like Zimbabwe and Bangledesh on a regular basis. He faced England, West Indies, INDIA. I would highly say those are some very easy teams to beat in any fashion. By saying that "Tendulkar and Dravid are legendary batsmen" which means they deserve to be on the team means nothing what so ever. I look at facts and I look at statistics and going by the statistics Yousuf has scored more runs then both Tendulkar and Dravid in the past decade with a better average as well. Even with the fact that both Tendulkar and Dravid have played more matches in the past decade. Now, I am not saying Yousuf is better in his career what I am saying is that Yousuf is a special player and he is the one of the best batsmen of te decade. Ponting is cricketer of the decade no doubt but Yousuf has played amazing cricket this past decade and he deserves a spot on that roster.

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
Well then lets look at some stats and facts since you say you use them!

Yousuf has had 2 stand out years this decade. In 2002 and 2006.

In 2002 he played Bangladesh twice, West Indies twice and Zimbabwe twice, 3 weakest teams of the decade. He averaged 72 with 3 centuries and 4 half centuries. He scored 2 centuries and a double century against these 3 teams.
In 2006 he dominated everybody and props to him, nobody is trying to take anything away from that. He broke records, averaged almost 100, scored 9 centuries and 3 half centuries.
He averages 250+vs Bangladesh, 101 vs West Indies and 68 vs Zimbabwe.

Tendulkar has had 3 years where he averaged 60+ this decade, once 91, 2 times 50+, 2 years of 40+ (44 and 48) and one injury filled year where he averaged 21.
Now I can keep pulling up stats for Dravid, Kallis and Ponting but you can do that for yourself.
Yousuf is a good batsman but you cant start faulting people for including Tendulkar and not Yousuf. Just like people cant start saying why you got Yousuf and not Tendulkar.

Users who are viewing this thread