The Book Thread

Papa_Smurf

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Mmm dont know that one....who's in that?

It's got the guy who played Ben Kenobi in it. 'Nuff said.

Lol, tbh, I'm not too sure about the actors. But Havisham is portrayed perfectly, just like I imagined her in the book. The women who play Estella (younger and older) got her part perfect as well.

It's a good adaptation. One of the best ones I've seen for a book.

Speaking of adaptations, anyone know where I might be able to get my hands on the CBS version of Kane and Abel?

P

pcfan123

if it's CBS then it's deffo crap. Probably better off not watching it

Papa_Smurf

International Cricketer
I'm afraid you might be right. The fact that no-one has it isn't probably a good omen.

But it's the only adaption of the book, as far as I'm aware. Even though it would be crap, I still wanna see it.

kashan123999

has said thanks for this post
Read "the lost symbol","Man chalay ka sauda","His dark materials","All of harry potter's books","Lord of the rings collection,"angels and demons","DA-Vinci code","To kill a mocking bird","Kirnain","Shagufay","Dajla","hamaqtein and mazeed hamaqatein"...."100,the most influental people","Murder on the orient express","Kidnapped" and finally my fav English author : Dickens "Oliver Twist,A tale of two cities,pickwick papers,great expectations,christmas carol".... :)

King Cricket

International Coach
hungry_tide_xl.jpg

Give it a go if you want a riveting tale set against the backdrop of Sunderbans, the world's largest archipelago of mangrove vegetation. A very unique novel.

simsanta123

Club Cricketer
Has anyone read any of Umberto Eco's Novels? I am 80% through Foucalt's Pendulum and I don't know whether I love it or hate it.

Varun

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Is Mein Kampf worth a read? Spotted it in a store, and the fact that it's written by Hitler and consists of autobiography and political ideology is compelling me to fetch it. Not that I am a big fan of Hitler or have a Nazi ideology, but I'm quite intrigued to know his thoughts and ideologies in detail.

Varun

ICC Board Member
Oliver Twist, completed. I don't actually have words, Dickens was a genius! Three novels of his, I've read, and all three enthralled me and subsided my mind into a contemplation of the themes depicted in the novels. Oliver Twist is a great novel, although it can't beat the other two I've read - 'A Tale of Two Cities' and 'Great Expectations', but the theme was beautiful, as well as the characters - Oliver, Mr. Brownlow, Fagin, Sikes, Rose Maylie, and others. All three novels give a real insight on the 19th century England.

1984 next!

King Cricket

International Coach
Varun said:
Is Mein Kampf worth a read? Spotted it in a store, and the fact that it's written by Hitler and consists of autobiography and political ideology is compelling me to fetch it. Not that I am a big fan of Hitler or have a Nazi ideology, but I'm quite intrigued to know his thoughts and ideologies in detail.

You won't like Mein Kampf unless you are particularly interested in decoding the detailed history of Nazi Germany. It gets really drab most of the time, as the bulk of the book is about febrile ultra-nationalism laced with bilious anti-Semitism. Not to mention that most of his ideologies are unthinkably abhorrent and make your blood boil.

Last edited:

Varun

ICC Board Member
Completed 1984. Excellent book, persuades you into pondering over the stuff mentioned. Winston Smith's a great character!

Varun

ICC Board Member
It's next on my list. Along with Fahrenheit 451. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread