Story The Java Kings - The sky's the limit (BT)

Left_Hander

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
A lot of off-field events happening with your team, I hope you can sort them out.

Shevchenko

Club Cricketer
Profile Flag
South Africa
Sorry for lack of updates will have something posted by tommorow news on the chosen admin and more...keep following

surendar

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Sorry for lack of updates will have something posted by tommorow news on the chosen admin and more...keep following

No worries. There are always No time limits in our story forums. Looking forward to the next update. :)

Shevchenko

Club Cricketer
Profile Flag
South Africa
The Java Kings announced earlier today a replacement to Richard Cliffe’s job position a lot of candidates had their hands up but it was Tommy Roffey who received the nod, this is what Roffey had to say

“It's a great honor receiving this position as The King's newly appointed administrator. I only have a few points. Towards the end of the year people usually stop to look back at what has happened during the year and look at their distinct goals and their accomplishments. At this time the most motivating and imperative thing is to make a wish for the new coming year. As it's said, if your wish is strong and heartfelt, it will come true.
During 2007 at The Java Kings former admin Richard Cliffe released major upgrades for our main products, using new technologies and achieving new levels of superiority, and I have some great plans for some new interesting products and services for 2008. To align our planes to your expectations we are starting a contest for the best wish for the reach for a dream foundation. Please take 3 minutes of your time to think about what you would like to see in your King's page that would help us be more effective and successful. The best wishes may select to be put into practice and you will receive a special present from The Java Kings.
As always, we welcome your ideas and comments at our User Forum. Find out about King's projects and activities on our commercial Blog, or get fast support response to your requests at our website. It is a paradox, but every idea always has the potential to be changed and improved by other people. That is the main idea of the service provided by Samsung.”

Those of you who have been reading Java King's page for the last year may remember me talking about a program that we launched in 2006 called Cricket Wise, in association with the CC of SA, the Ground keepers' of SA, the Club Management Association of South Africa, Taylor & Jones and Operation Caliber. Cricket Wise has been a pilot project at the Park Facility in Parys where we have been working with six students over the last year training them in the basics of the game of cricket (how to play, the rules, etiquette, history and ethos) and ground keeping (pitch construction and maintenance). Four Java King players (Graham Barrett, Collin Cliffe, David Tolley and Zesh Halford) and four grounds man (David Quincy, Simon Harding, Fanie Le Roux, and Chris de Beer) very generously gave of their time, energy and knowledge throughout the year.

Three weeks ago we held a Certification Ceremony for the students that were on the program. It was a very moving day and began with a tour of the old Wolf Park to have a look at the work the six students had done during the year. You would not believe how many positive changes they had made within such a short time. After the ground visit, they took part in a fun Skills Challenge which showed off their bowling, batting and fielding skills. Their cricket abilities were really impressive and the competition was surprisingly close, with a tie for first place. During the more formal proceedings, Simon Harding, who is also the Chairman of the Ground man’s Association, congratulated the students on their work on the pitch and commended them on their enthusiasm and dedication throughout the year. Dennis Binns from CC expressed his admiration for their natural display of “grasping the ethos of the game” as we had all witnessed them encouraging, praising and helping each other during the Skills Challenge.

A very large part of the program is our commitment to placing these participants in jobs within the cricket industry once they have finished at the youth academy. We made the first placement announcement, which will be at the HP Pavilion, Bloemfontein in The Free State. Within the next four months we have another two students who will be joining and we will have jobs waiting for them. We will continue with the program at Park in 2008, taking on 12 students and mid-way through the year we will decide whether or not to expand the program into other clubs in the country. Immediate opportunities exist at Durban and Cape Town as they both have excellent cricket facilities on their properties, but it will have to depend on the success that we have with the guys that have already been placed in jobs.

This 2007 program would not have been possible with the enthusiastic support of our partners, most especially the CC and the Grounds man Association and of course the very generous support of our sponsors; Price Waterhouse Coopers, Vodacom, Pepsi, Jones, Mittal Steel and Adidas. We readily acknowledge that we have touched a very small segment of the underprivileged population through our program this year but the potential for great impact is certainly there, and for now, even if we are able to keep just these 18 people to have a better life, we will have done something.

Shevchenko

Club Cricketer
Profile Flag
South Africa
It's put up or shut up

The weekend of the newly awaited Battrick season is certainly going to be eventful. On Saturday the announcement of the King?s squad will be made and also the new amendment. But what about the coach?s gift that he received for a remarkable season under dire straits reported CEO Shev, Bailey received an Audi TT and the team got 190 cases of Terra de Capo wine. But we also can?t forget the blunders the team had such as the one against the BFN Bombers. Who knows what the team were thinking when they played that game. In cricket, all you have to do is win. It doesn?t matter whether it?s by one wicket, or 200 runs; a win is a win!

Then to end it off there was the ?resignation? of Richard Cliffe. Roffey has been named to replace him but will have a big job ahead of him. The team needs a lot of tweaking, especially in respect of the scheduling of events. I also believe they need to re-look at the team?s expenses when it comes to running the events. Many of the events are run as if they were international events, but the costs are just too high, especially when compared to the prize money on offer. Let?s hope that Roffey was the right person chosen so that we can get our Java Kings on top of the world!

This weekend is obviously the King?s charity event; the final pit stop event before the new season, and with so many talented cricketers taking part, I am looking forward to an exciting finish. For those who like to be ?in the know? I have it on good authority that Dean Keigher and Roxanne Hearty are actually engaged! Enjoy!
?I was very honoured to be nominated by the CC of SA, and then invited to England last week to receive the 5 Star Professional Award from the CC of Europe at the Gala Dinner? said an ecstatic Barrett whom yet again had a real good season with the team

It was a very special evening for Barrett and he is following in the footsteps of a few good friends who have also received this award Roger Twinkle, Dennis Michaels to name a few.

This may be old news but I haven?t had the opportunity to officially congratulate London Cameron Smith on how well she did at the women?s youth league. She played a solid knock with the bat and followed it up with real good bowling.

As Foot in Mouth disease goes, it was far from one of the great commentating bloopers of all time.
The annals of sports commentary are littered with some of the biggest hooks and slices in the game.
Cricket?s Richie Benaud has topped the leaderboard on more than one occasion, most notably for his comment that, ?He's usually a good puller, but he couldn't get it up that time?.
And Kevin Keegan was a veritable Bloopers Hall of Famer when he used to commentate on football, uttering such pearlers as, ?The good news for Paraguay is that they've gone two-nil down so early on".
But the Java King?s commentator Layton Hughes was roundly criticized for his remarks that the only way to stop Seymor Bilal would be to ?lynch him in a back alley?.
He was suspended from his commentating duties, and has been lambasted in the media for his choice of words, which have been interpreted as racist.
Bilal has publicly said this is a non-issue for him and, having known Hughes for as long as he has, believes him not to be a racist. But this hasn?t protected Hughes from the rest of the cricket world?s wrath.
South African publication Sports Illustrated upped the ante with a front cover depicting a swinging hangman?s noose.
There have emerged two schools of thought on the issue.
The first camp, including Bilal and the likes of JKCA Tour commissioner Roffey, believes that Hughes made an unfortunate choice of words, for which he has apologized.
This camp also firmly believes Hughes never intended the comments to be racist at all.
The second camp, including several human rights groups, believes Hughes?s comments can only be interpreted as racist and he should pay dearly for uttering them.
Our question to you this week is, do you think Layton Hughes had racist intent when delivering his comments about Seymour Bilal, or did he simply choose the wrong words at the wrong time?
David Tolley
Tolley had to dig deep to be crowned the JKCA Player of the season award as he took a four point lead into the final match and almost saw it blown away by a horrible last innings and a charging Barrett and Cliffe.
In the end one point was good enough for Tolley to hold of Graham Barrett. It was Tolley?s first JKCA award on the cricketing scene, and his status amongst the game?s elite is growing as he entrenches his place in the top five of the league
?1999, everybody around me said that I probably won?t even last a year on the cricket scene,? recalls Tolley, who has now set his sights on bigger things to come
?I think if I work hard, all the rest will follow.?

gutterman

International Cricketer
good stuff mate cant wait for the new season to start. kutgw

Shevchenko

Club Cricketer
Profile Flag
South Africa
It's a fresh start

The Java King's is sporting with a new look out goes the old Blue and Silver and in comes the new Pink and Black.

The team also announced new club membership fees, it's just a small price to pay to be part of the club and with luxurious comfort why not?

With the all awaiting cup fixture nearing us coach Jeffey Bailey named his squad to play in Friday's upcoming event

1. Graham Barrett
2. Collin Cliffe
3. Sarath Bastianpillai
4. Tristan Convery
5. David Tolley
6. Jay Odonnell
7. Paul Crow
8. Dean Keigher
9. Kieran Mayo
10. Johnny MacMahon
11. Zesh Halford

and congratulations to Peter Mackie for winning the art competition and designing the new logo for the team...here is the picture that he drew (original)

Shevchenko

Club Cricketer
Profile Flag
South Africa
The Java Kings coach Jeffey Bailey had to deal with the press as he released his team for the upcoming fixture on Sunday, the team that is set to be finalised on Friday before Bailey makes his decision on who would play

Q: What is the feeling in the camp?
A: It’s positive of course
Q: Are there any players leaving or coming?
A: That is still under arbitration with me and the CEO and board members of the JKCA, I can’t just sell or buy players in any way that I want to even though they are officially permitted to sell over the battrick transfer market I have to work with the contracts they received and signed with the JKCA
Q: Have you renewed any contracts with the players?
A: Yes we have.
Q: Can you release the details?
A: The following players’ contracts have been extended are Graham Barret, Sarath Bastianpillai, Dean Keigher and Johnny McMahon, we are still talking with David Tolley and Collin Cliffe about there possible features but we will do our utmost from preventing them leaving the club.
Q: How is the captaincy role looking?
A: We had a long talk me and Jimmy about the future captains and he told me that Tristan Convery would be the way to go so Tristan has been chosen as the OD and FC captain for the season.
Q: What are your objectives this season?
A: Our objectives are straightforward, we know that we are coming up against the same Rampaging Dolphins that we played last year and of course with some altercations they are a changed team losing some of their best players but then gaining others so we have to be on the look out, the First Class league we have no excuse of not finishing first we blew that last year with the draws we had so it will be vital that we don’t do that again.

The Java Kings are unbeaten at FC games and Jimmy Olsen who is taking over FC duties from Bailey is optimistic that he can guide the team on a winning streak “we have the players and the structure, yes we are struggling at the moment but never underestimate a power like the Kings” said Olsen with a wide smile.

I would welcome you to the new season of The Java Kings, but let’s be honest, by the 2nd week of the new season you should be well and truly ensconced in it and almost ready for your next off season!

The team started the year with a bang and in fact they only getting back from the Caribbean tomorrow. We intended to hold back this newsletter but we couldn’t, the Cricket Wise show held place at the HP Pavilion, which has taken place this weekend. The show is one of the highlights of my year. It’s like being in cricket heaven not only because I get to see all the new products and gadgets that are being released, but because I bump into so many of my cricketing friends from around the globe.
We are in the start of the new season and it really has been a mixed bag. Starting with all the drama of the BT20 through to the start of BT Cup. It was only slightly marred by the faltering finish of the two games, BFN Bombers and Phis Fire. We then had the amazing slip-up against Adidas. There are high hopes for this team, following a hugely successful season last time around. Unfortunately the expected large crowds are contemplating to stay away from games due to Eskom’s “load shedding”. Nevertheless, I still think that with a successful start and quality performances by the players could change that; firstly the winner of the JKCA Award David Tolley; secondly Graham Barrett. Unfortunately the weather at the HP Pavilion has been hard for the last two weeks but it’s no excuse for not getting your season tickets.

I hear that the under 19 world cup was once again a great success. Unfortunately, I didn’t manage to see any of it. Most countries once again sent their strongest teams and in my opinion there is so much that we can learn from watching these lads play. They certainly play a game that we can relate to in terms of our own games and we should especially pay attention to their course management and club selections. Hopefully you have gained some knowledge on how best to play the some of the pitches when you are next out there! The eventual champions Australia have some rare talent that can only bolster their national team, I pity the other nations to be honest

The JKCA has just announced a new tour, which means there are more events lined up for the “cricket wise”, starting off with this weekend the Pepsi Cup is going to take place. The Pepsi cup aims to provide a platform for some of Africa’s best players; in addition to The Java King’s players, the promoters have invited eleven countries (Lesotho, Uganda, Swaziland, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Kenya, Botswana, Nigeria, Ghana and Madagascar) to send a team of their best players. I think it’s a great idea. Let’s hope that they are well rewarded for their three year contract and continue to support cricket for many years to come.

Both Sarath Bastianpillai and Tristan Convery have said that they would captain the team if they were asked. I think both of them would be great choices – but it’s up to the selectors to make that decision.

Shevchenko

Club Cricketer
Profile Flag
South Africa
The under 19 World Cup is behind us with focus now on to see if South Africa can defend their world title in the National World Cup.

But this won’t affect The Java Kings what will affect them is the fact that Richard Cliffe former admin had a big role on players and now have seen two of the club’s best leaving because of Cliffe stepping down.

But our interest in this stems from their performances.

Sarath Bastianpillai and David Tolley represented The Java Kings for consecutive seasons. The team under the guidance of Tolley ended 1st in the first year at V level in 2005, tied seventh in 2006 at III, tied 2nd the following year all under Bastianpillai

For a team like The Kings to lose these players, we have to ask whether this will set them back for making a serious challenge for the title.

Both Tolley and Bastianpillai have been tremendous ambassadors for Java King’s cricket in South Africa and abroad.

Our question to you this week, do you agree that The Java Kings will still be a serious title contender without Tolley and Bastianpillai, or will the fail in doing so?

It would seem logical that the thicker your cricket bat the further the ball will travel. The bat is moving solidly at impact and with more bat you will get more distance.
Well, this is true for batsmen who have a more powerful swing with a good sense of swing rhythm and swing timing.

These batsmen release the bat later in the downswing and most often have an inside-out-to square swing path.
However, none of us has the perfect swing, not even Kumar Sangakarra, and even the world number one’s swing is out of sync on occasion.
If Kumar fails to abide by one of the above swing characteristics he will not obtain a higher swing speed or as good an on-centre percentage with bigger bats.
The reason for this is because of the effect these swing moves have on the Moment of Inertia (MOI) of the whole bat as it is swung about the axis of a batters spine.
Batsmen who release the bat too early in the downswing and batsmen who have more of an outside-in swing path will move the bat further away from their body during the shot, which means the bat will now exhibit a higher MOI in relation to their axis of rotation. When the bat’s MOI increases like this, more stress and load is put on the batsman, which results in either a slower swing speed or no increase in swing speed, and a higher percentage of off-centre hits.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread