Story The Java Kings - The sky's the limit (BT)

Shevchenko

Club Cricketer
Profile Flag
South Africa
I’m right back in the thick of things here with The Java Kings and am feeling as we all do one week after being away; as if I never went at all!

I do have good memories of my trip though, because the usual cricket show in Bloemfontein offered me lot more than just new and exciting equipment. We took a cameraman and producer from Java tv along and tried to film the atmosphere, people and places that we think the planetcricket viewers would be interested in.

This year, after four years of trying, I finally managed to get an interview with former admin Richard Cliffe. It was a wonderful interview, upstairs in his office inside the King’s clubhouse. He is an unbelievable personality and when you are in his company you get the feeling that you are in the presence of a great man. Given the opportunity, I could have been there all day! I will make sure to let you know when this interview will air on tv.

I also got to do a very nice interview with, South African born bowling teacher, Dwayne Fava who used to teach Leighton Tretton. He is adamant that he will be back, so we will have to wait and see.

Last week was a special one at the HP Pavilion but probably more so for the Barrett family. On Monday we held a Tribute Golf Day in honour of his father Mark, who has been helping development for thirty-six years this year. He became the assistant to my father George in 1972 and took over the development when my dad retired after fifty-six years at the club. It’s amazing that thirty-six years have gone by and Mark is still going strong. His loyalty to helping young kids is unfailing and now, with his other son in the shop it makes for three generations of Barrett’s at the Kings!

I have to squeeze in a comment on the recent cricket; especially the cup game and Graham Barrett’s phenomenal batting. I have mentioned it before; keep an eye on him because in my mind he is one of the strong future contenders who could give the national team a run for their money. Another man who should benefit from a confidence boost is Dean Keigher. His recent start in the league thus far will help him through the tough season. As I said in an article in the Joburg Times last week, he is very new to the SA grounds and still has to learn. Although he has all the ingredients for a huge future in the game of cricket, let’s give him a chance to settle in and not expect too much too soon.

And then of course we have Graham! He is the man. My admiration and worship of so many players aside, it is official that he is quite simply the best, and will without question become known as the best batsman the King’s has ever seen. His trouncing of Domi Nation in the season opener was superb, my only suggestion is that we all sit back, relax, bask in his brilliance and watch him shatter every record known to cricket. Enjoy!

His small but hard hitting 31 in the cup fixture last weekend was just another example. Cliffe had a good day aswell– couple of unlucky shots but on the whole, well. I do think the difference is that Graham has a regimented game plan worked out that he is able to adhere to. If you listened to the interview after play and his explanation of his shots, then you heard that he knows exactly where he has to be on the ground, shot by shot, to set himself up for the best possible scenario, and he just goes ahead and follows that plan.

Shevchenko

Club Cricketer
Profile Flag
South Africa
With the new BPL the Java Kings were drawn into Div 6, Bailey the coach of the Kings before stated that allowing the Kings to play in the tournament would be nothing to live for as many of the starting players are carrying injuries.

Although the JKCA approved to play in the competition they also released that not a full strength squad will be obtainable, a handful of starting players will be available for the Home games while the away games will be filled by the more inexperienced players of the squad.

“This tournament will show us how strong we really are in the terms of our second and third option players, I do have the luxury at home to play some of my stronger guys in the team” said Bailey

The Java Kings retained their number one spot in their local league with a smashing display over the Rampaging Dolphins where Harris smashed 197*.

Many of the Planetcricket teams will see the Kings as easy opponents with the exclusion of their key players and the departures of Barrett, Tolley, Bastianpillai, Tretton and many more from the squad but as many other teams have learned the hard way it is not to underestimate their second and third stringers and also the fact that Kings turned the HP Stadium into a nightmare for visiting teams, while Mental Blank are licking their lips to face the ill-stricken Kings they might just want to rethink their strategy.

Shevchenko

Club Cricketer
Profile Flag
South Africa
Java Kings vs Mental Blank

Well done to Dixon on stopping The Kings of winning the game, although let?s be honest; The Kings played only a much weaker line up and did finish within one run & who knows what could have happened if they hadn?t run out of balls to play!

I am thrilled that The Kings seems to be pulling together just in time for the last OD stretch. They always played really well today so let?s hold thumbs that all the tinkering on the game against Mental Blank is now behind them and they can get on with playing their game

Victory will be sweet for Mental Blank but the Kings will feel they accomplished a lot in exposing their weaker batting line up and bowling line up, Harris, Convery, Hanna, Watson and Keigher were the only players included in the tournament to play and only two of the selected five may actually be left to play in next weekends fixtures as Bailey has turned his fullest concentration on retaining the number one spot at the OD league with only five games left to go

?It is essential that we keep our number one spot, we can?t afford any slip ups and The BPL may think we are boycotting the games but we aren?t we have different objectives and I feel our second team players did really well today, Chorley did great and the batters also they didn?t give Hadland much and played them really well, like I said if guys like Cliffe and Hendrik down the tale had played we should have won the match but all credit to my young guns for sticking it out against them?

The one run loss against Mental Blank will be overlooked by the cricket team with other objectives coming in mind the Kings won?t have any eyes on great stuff on the BPL, now being knocked out of contention of the FC league the Kings can?t afford another slip up in the OD league, in that they?ve not allowed their strongest line up to play in the BPL

www.javakings.net

Shevchenko

Club Cricketer
Profile Flag
South Africa
RP: Bailey how do you rate your season?

JB: We are happy with what we have achieved in the context that we’ve lost some of our key players during the season, and for the boys to get as far as they did is good in itself

RP: Looking at all major teams a lot transfers do happen with big names being brought, The Kings though have only brought in youngsters to the squad…?

JB: We do not have the luxury that the other teams have, it seems though their financial figures never go in the red or into a spot of bother where they can pay the amount. But it’s something we needed to do buying those players and while they may not be as good as what other teams have got; I believe molding them into star players in years to come will benefit us more.

RP: Bailey you have been hardly criticized for making some very odd choices where many managers wouldn’t have, is there anything new?

JB: My first plan of reducing the squad after every season to 14 players have worked real good , I won’t be doing that for the next three seasons as I feel it won’t be needed the team has balanced its self out nicely now, also no transfers will be made for the next two seasons, no new players will be needed to spruce the side up, I believe in what we’ve got.

Left_Hander

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
A nice review of my HUGE one run win over you. Nice to see this story back :thumbs

Shevchenko

Club Cricketer
Profile Flag
South Africa
Season closing...

The Java Kings have only one more goal to complete beat Excellence Academy and progress to the third division. In what has been a rollercoaster of a season with ups and downs coach Bailey was still pleased with the overall result.

For many critics labelling the Kings as a one man show should be eating their words, in mid season Shev shocked the world when he put Barrett on the transfer market. But the critics soon changed their view saying with the departure of Barrett the Kings would crumble. That my friend was not to be, spirit and determination pulled together and The Kings played awesome cricket leading to a wonderful National Cup display.

Yes there were some horrendous occasions such as the disastrous BT20 campaign and not too mention the flop against local BFN Bombers but then again the success of their OD feat should not be overshadowed by small glitches.

As many stars walked out on the team so did many walk back in, Harris is earmarked to be the next Barrett in many followers of the game while Convery is still young showing immense of potential. Chorley still might be the weakest link in the team but has warned that with time comes everything.

Shevchenko

Club Cricketer
Profile Flag
South Africa
Bloemfontein, South Africa - A relaxed Karl Watson said his team will have the talent to perform well this season, the 31 year old who has played for more than six seasons at top level joined the Kings last season for not making it into the top xi at his former club. ?600,000-00 was splashed out for Watson.

Convery (19) will have the pressure of filling the void left by Cliffe who left for English club cricket, Convery along with Chorley and Jakobus are the most inexperienced players in the squad, Harris will be playing in his 50th match

Jimmy Olsen announced three newcomers who will play in next weeks FC match

Shevchenko

Club Cricketer
Profile Flag
South Africa
The first half of the season is over. The good news, of course, has to be the fact that the next half will hold the PCBL Championship which means we get so much to choose from that withstanding, it is a highly sought after title which is great to watch and the commentary is usually great, but we will have more about that at the end of the month…
Now, what about The Verizon Java Kings???.
They’ve had everything so far – great cricket, great crowds and incredible drama. For some of the players it’s a case of what could have been. Hanna needed a great confidence booster, instead he stumbled to get on the score board on numerous occasions and Ed Harris had his best chance of defeating Raiders Eleven; if only he’d hit a few more boundaries at the end. It would have been a fairy tale start had Bill Jakobus slain The Raiders, but once again Leonard bowled exactly when the team needed him. At least The Kings can savour some glory 15 victories (8 OD and 7 BT20) undefeated thus far in their respective leagues.
Have we seen a return to form for Tristan Convery after a suicidal run out last week. Before that match many people were asking me what had happened to him and I think to be fair, that what happened after his introduction and the fact that many rate him as the next “golden boy” to walk in the shoes of Barrett should not have been unexpected. The new demands on his time and just the added pressure of being a star in the team can have a huge effect. He has admitted that he was unprepared for what would happen afterwards; “You practice and you dream and you just wish you could be part of the team, and then when you manage to pull it off somehow, you’re so unprepared for what’s to follow…its probably going to take me a little while to get used to.” When you consider that in the 24-hours after his first appearance he was flown to New York on a private jet, made 6 TV appearances, 7 radio interviews and 12 print / internet interviews, your emotions are way up above the clouds. At some point you have to sit quietly, revaluate, refocus and start working at it all over again. Tristan’s determination is a huge factor, and he has by no means reached his goals, so I expect we will see him back and scoring many, many more centuries to come
Dean Keigher made a welcome return to his best form a week ago when he destroyed the Natal Knight Riders on Friday. Dean was involved in a serious road accident in 2004 and was told he would probably never play cricket again. By a stroke of luck he was included in a liver transplant and has made an amazing recovery in the last couple of years. In addition to hard work in the nets to try to get his game back, Dean has become a regular in the Kings team. Keigher stands 15 wickets away from 200 and could reach it by the end of the season with 6 more games to go. Veteran Zesh Halford said that Keigher would reach it “ I won’t be surprised if Bailey plays him in all the matches”
Jeffey Bailey will be the first to admit that it’s a hard life when it comes to the nitty-gritty of the game, so from next month he will be getting some assistance to help out. Jason Hendrickson will be his “right hand”. He is a former cricketer who has had a varied career in cricket; he has played in England, toured overseas and been a Club member at Munich since season 6. Today he is the Managing Director of the team.

Shevchenko

Club Cricketer
Profile Flag
South Africa
For the fourth time, The Kings will take on Raiders Eleven. The Kings go in the game as overwhelmingly underdogs, we are joined by captain and coach of the Verizon Java Kings...

Q: Jeffey, heading into the game you've probably noticed in the newspapers and on TV that you aren't marked as a big threat to Raiders Eleven...

JB: Eh, yeah that might be true, but we don't follow newspapers or TV, we know that we've lost the last three games but we've made good impressions in the last three games.

Q: Harris Raiders Eleven are a good team but do you believe your team can stand up?

EH: Of course I do, look our last game against Mental Blank might have been a bad one but we managed to keep their bowling attack in order, we do have the talent to do it against Raiders, and we've worked hard on counter attacking their bowling line up

Q: Jeffey, RE, in particular Leonard have destroyed your team's hopes of a victory on numerous occasions, what's your strategy and your team?

JB: We go in to sunday's game with a longer tail, one spinner and four seam attack, this might be a bit far fetched as the pitch conditions favor spinners instead of seamers, I'll be very interested to see how Miles Calcutt performs at 4, Harris, Convery and Jakobus have cemented their places at the top 3, I believe those three can take on the best and they proved it last week even though in a losing effort. Only one change is made Dom Upton replaces Jason Joseph

1. E. Harris (c)
2. T. Convery
3. B. Jakobus
4. M. Calcutt
5. R. Jeffrey
6. S. Goodhind (+)
7. D. Nyikadzino (v/c)
8. C. Hendrik
9. P. Fadeer
10. D. Upton
11. D. Keigher

Griffo

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
GO THE KINGS! HARRIS IS JESUS! KEIGHER IS A LEGEND!

Good luck this week

Shevchenko

Club Cricketer
Profile Flag
South Africa
It’s been a long time since any news had been posted on here but now it’s going to chance. The Verizon Java Kings for the first time faced Slower Ball and well ended up being beaten quite easily.

It was dark period for the Kings when they were at 52/5 but the calmness by Tristan Convery and the ever-maturing Fadeer stacked up an impressive 113 runs partnership until Convery went out. The 100 by the captain showed why he is getting better but the applause should go the tail, the last 4 wickets that fell yielded 205 runs.

After the result coach Bailey said he was happy with the performance and still thinks even though that the team’s middle order rating was poor that they can still become a unit of force.

“Well when we lost Barrett people said our top order was over…then we lost Harris and the same old same look what we’ve done, we’ve set up another strong batting top three, I know where I am going with the middle order, Clarkson hasn’t shown it yet but give the lad time and Littlejohn as well”

Users who are viewing this thread