Draft: The Lasagne Draft

El Loco

PCPF Mod Chief Superintendent
ENG....
The first ever batsman to score an ODI 150 and also a World Cup 150 as well as the only batsman to have ever faced over 200 deliveries in one ODI innings. My second opener will be Glenn Turner.

1. :wi: :bat: Gordon Greenidge
2. :nz: :bat: Glenn Turner
3. :aus: :bat: Dean Jones
4. :saf: :wkb: AB de Villiers
5. :saf: :ar: JP Duminy
6. :eng: :bat: Mike Brearley
7. :zim: :ar: Malcolm Waller
10. :nz: :bwl: Shane Bond
11. :pak: :bwl: Shoaib Akhtar

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I think it’s my go next?

I’m going to cheat a little, and copy paste my entry from the preT20 draft a while back

However good you think Basil D'Oliveira was, the truth is he was better still. 2,484 Test runs at 40.06 with 5 hundreds and 15 half-centuries is impressive enough, but he was by his own admission past his best before he even started playing League Cricket in England, much less first class (19,490 runs @ 40.26, plus 551 wickets at 27.45) or Tests. He made his debut in the 1947/48 season, and only went to play League Cricket in England in 1960. By that time he'd racked up 82 centuries in Club and Representative cricket in South Africa.

Basil's peak years were spent in relative obscurity playing one and two day cricket in the "coloured" leagues in apartheid South Africa. His numbers there were nothing short of astonishing - he once scored 225 (out of a team score of 236) in under 70 minutes.... his first hundred came in 25 minutes. This innings started with five consecutive 6s and in total ended up with 28 sixes and 10 fours - that's 208 in boundaries.

Another time he scored 46 off an 8 ball over. He was aggressive, destructive, and a class apart. It's a tragedy he grew up in such an abnormal society - he should be recognised as an all time great, not a merely "very good" player.

His medium pace would be handy too, with 190 List A wickets at 23.56 with an economy rate of 3.4, but he is in this side to be what he was best at, a middle order batsman who could take any attack apart and score at a rapid pace, with boundaries aplenty.

what a player he was. Peak Basil is turning up, from the 50s. Only change from what I wrote then is I might ask him to open.

watch out!

@Aislabie[DOUBLEPOST=1586024111][/DOUBLEPOST]
And now I get to tag @blockerdave too

tagged me as I was typing!

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
PlanetCricket Award Winner
r

My pick is :eng: :bat: Graeme Hick

ODI stats
: 3,846 runs @ 37.33 (5 centuries, best 126) and 30 wickets @ 34.20 (1 5WI, best 5/33) in 120 matches
List A stats: 22,059 runs @ 41.30 (40 centuries, best 172*) and 225 wickets @ 29.55 (4 5WI, best 5/19) in 651 matches

When I was drawing my side up, I completely overlooked Graeme Hick. I'm glad that I had a flash of sanity even at this late stage of the draft, because the Zimbabwean turned Englishman is one of the most underrated one-day cricketers of all time. His ODI record was decent - and outstanding for an England player of that time - but would have been considerably better if he'd been allowed to bat in his preferred number three position all the time. Although an ODI strike rate in the 70s suggests that he might not have the hitting potential of some more modern batsmen, a Twenty20 career strike rate of 156 (most of which came when Hick was in his 40s) shows that given the freedom to show it, he could hit with the best of them. In this side his bowling probably won't get used, but that doesn't mean it wasn't excellent.

@Aislabie 's XI so far:
2. :saf: :bat: Herschelle Gibbs
3. :eng: :bat: Graeme Hick
4. :ind: :wkb: Rahul Dravid (L)
5. :ned: :ar: Ryan ten Doeschate (L)
6. :eng: :ar: Andrew Flintoff (P)
7. :saf: :ar: Mike Procter
8. :afg: :ar: Rashid Khan
10. :pak: :bwl: Waqar Younis (L)
11. :zim: :bwl: Pommie Mbangwa (L)

@Na Maloom Afraad up next

Last edited:

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
r

My pick is :eng: :bat: Graeme Hick

ODI stats
: 3,846 runs @ 37.33 (5 centuries, best 126) and 30 wickets @ 34.20 (1 5WI, best 5/33) in 120 matches
List A stats: 22,059 runs @ 41.30 (40 centuries, best 172*) and 225 wickets @ 29.55 (4 5WI, best 5/19) in 651 matches

When I was drawing my side up, I completely overlooked Graeme Hick. I'm glad that I had a flash of sanity even at this late stage of the draft, because the Zimbabwean turned Englishman is one of the most underrated one-day cricketers of all time. His ODI record was decent - and outstanding for an England player of that time - but would have been considerably better if he'd been allowed to bat in his preferred number three position all the time. Although an ODI strike rate in the 70s suggests that he might not have the hitting potential of some more modern batsmen, a Twenty20 career strike rate of 156 (most of which came when Hick was in his 40s) shows that given the freedom to show it, he could hit with the best of them. In this side his bowling probably won't get used, but that doesn't mean it wasn't excellent.

@Aislabie 's XI so far:
3. :eng: :bat: Graeme Hick
4. :ind: :wkb: Rahul Dravid (L)

Rejected

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
Barry.jpg

My pick is :saf: :bat: Barry Richards

List A stats
: 8,506 runs @ 40.12 (16 centuries, best 155*) in 233 matches

I'm completely deviating from my plan now and picking a second South African opening batsman. Richards was known for his "nimble and aggressive strokeplay" to the extent that he scored a hundred before lunch nine times in first-class cricket. He would have been a giant of the early One-Day International game if South Africa had been there, but they weren't so he wasn't. Still one of the greatest talents the world has ever seen though.

@Aislabie 's XI so far:
1. :saf: :bat: Barry Richards
3. :ind: :wkb: Rahul Dravid (L)

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Barry.jpg

My pick is :saf: :bat: Barry Richards

List A stats
: 8,506 runs @ 40.12 (16 centuries, best 155*) in 233 matches

I'm completely deviating from my plan now and picking a second South African opening batsman. Richards was known for his "nimble and aggressive strokeplay" to the extent that he scored a hundred before lunch nine times in first-class cricket. He would have been a giant of the early One-Day International game if South Africa had been there, but they weren't so he wasn't. Still one of the greatest talents the world has ever seen though.

@Aislabie 's XI so far:
1. :saf: :bat: Barry Richards
3. :ind: :wkb: Rahul Dravid (L)

An amazing pick

Na Maloom Afraad

Man of Tomorrow
The Boys
NMA's XI
1. :ind: :bat: Sachin Tendulkar (P)
2. :eng: :ar: Ian Botham
4. :saf: :bat: Graeme Pollock
5. :nz: :bat: Ross Taylor
6. :pak: :ar: Abdul Razzaq
7. :saf: :ar: Lance Klusener
8. :ber: :wk: Kwame Tucker (LD)
9. :ber: :bwl: Dwayne Leverock (LD)
10. :ind: :bwl: Narendra Hirwani (LD)
11. :ken: :x: Josephat Ababu (LD)

Ross Taylor at five. I'm slightly flabbergasted he isn't considered a top-choice for most people (including me, sadly) in a draft, even if it is based on current cricketers (speaking from experience of managing Cricket Leagues), especially for someone that averages 48.44 in ODIs with almost 9,000 international runs, 21 centuries and 51 fifties in 216 innings.

"Ross Taylor has been a fulcrum of New Zealand's batting across formats for more than 10 years, a period that has brought consistent Test success, especially on home soil, and the appearance in consecutive World Cup finals. In the mid-2000s, he was just what New Zealand need in the wake of the mass of departures from their batting line-up: an aggressive top-order batsman capable of taking up the challenge to world-class attacks. In only his third ODI, Taylor hammered a superb 128 against Sri Lanka at Napier in 2006 and he followed it up with 84 at better than a run a ball in his first ODI outside New Zealand, at Hobart against Australia in January 2007. He scores heavily from the pull and from slog-sweeping the spinners (and sometimes the quicks)."

@deleted member

Users who are viewing this thread