The Worst Ever World Cup....

LA ICE-E

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
sohummisra said:
I think the ICC put all their eggs in one basket and that's the only place they are to blame. They expected the top 8 ranked teams to qualify to the Super 8's and they expected everyone to provide enough competition against the Aussies. Neither happened and what could have been a closely fought and exciting Super 8 just became a lengthened round-robin with low attendance and viewership.
and what more could they do than expect the top 8 to qualify? they can't win the games for them... and they can't exclude australia from the cup because no one can provide enough competition against them. So i don't see how you're blaming the icc there either. It was up to the teams for putting up an exciting super 8. And there was some but there was one side games too like the nz vs aus game with aus winning by 200 but there's not much the icc can do there...unless you want the icc to make the games fixed have a script for each game and make it like wwe :rolleyes:

Sagacious

Club Cricketer
LA ICE-E said:
and what more could they do than expect the top 8 to qualify? they can't win the games for them... and they can't exclude Australia from the cup because no one can provide enough competition against them. So i don't see how you're blaming the icc there either. It was up to the teams for putting up an exciting super 8. And there was some but there was one side games too like the nz vs aus game with aus winning by 200 but there's not much the icc can do there...unless you want the icc to make the games fixed have a script for each game and make it like wwe :rolleyes:

No one can deny the fact that entry of BD & Ireland made the things worse.

I know it will be difficult for you to digest THIS TRUTH. :cool:

Frozzy

School Cricketer
Sagacious said:

Go and let the PCB and BCCI know that it's their fault this WC poor then :)

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
LA ICE-E said:
and what more could they do than expect the top 8 to qualify? they can't win the games for them... and they can't exclude australia from the cup because no one can provide enough competition against them. So i don't see how you're blaming the icc there either. It was up to the teams for putting up an exciting super 8. And there was some but there was one side games too like the nz vs aus game with aus winning by 200 but there's not much the icc can do there...unless you want the icc to make the games fixed have a script for each game and make it like wwe :rolleyes:
If the ICC had planned the World Cup thinking that the associates/weaker teams could get through, I guarantee that there wouldn't be such a huge Super 8.

LA ICE-E

Club Cricketer
Sagacious said:

no, it's looks like it's seriously difficult for you to digest the truth that india and pakistan weren't good enough to beat bangladesh and ireland. The only thing that was made worse by the entry of these teams were the attendance and may be viewership. But it also made a big way for Ireland to move forward in cricket, which is more than the negatives. So stop putting bull stuff down and realize that these were good things in the long terms for cricket.

sohummisra said:
If the ICC had planned the World Cup thinking that the associates/weaker teams could get through, I guarantee that there wouldn't be such a huge Super 8.
And the point is? ICC can only plan, they can't play for the top 8 making sure that they'll make the super 8. And are we now complaining about how long the tournament is? Well, this wc had 3 less games than the last wc. why didn't you complain then? This wc had less games with the associates then before even though it got 2 more associates. Do you have any other formats lined up for us too look at that would include the associates and be better than the current one?

My suggestions would be, keep the same format. With having 2 games per day for the super 8. or divide the super 8 into 2 groups of 4. or lastly have quarterfinals. But guess what though? No team can be guaranteed to qualify. No format can do that.

LA ICE-E

Club Cricketer
yeah, actually there was. When it 1st came out everyone criticizied it and now people wanting to go back to it? 1st super 6 format would have had more games with the "minnows". What happened with the super 6 was that a associate/"minnow" team could go to the semifinals without really being the best teams there. And don't even start, people criticized the last format and didn't give credit to the kenyans for making it thus far and just going on about the that format...now with ireland more deserving and being the best among team(in terms of performance in the cup) and making it to the second round. This time, you won't have teams that supposedly don't deserve to be in the semis in the semis.

Griffo

Chairman of Selectors
everyone has lost interest in australia other than hardcore cricket heads

Sagacious

Club Cricketer
LA ICE-E said:
no, it's looks like it's seriously difficult for you to digest the truth that india and pakistan weren't good enough to beat bangladesh and ireland.
No, they were just complacent.Let's wait for India's tour to BD and we will talk more about 'mighty' minnows Bangladesh after that.

So stop putting bull stuff down and realize that these were good things in the long terms for cricket.
You have been doing that for quite a long time here, bashing India & Pakistan for each and everything.Get real Mr.Ice.

No more discussion with you regarding this issue.

siddharth2002

National Board President<br /><a href="showthread.
LA ICE-E said:
yeah, actually there was. When it 1st came out everyone criticizied it and now people wanting to go back to it? 1st super 6 format would have had more games with the "minnows". What happened with the super 6 was that a associate/"minnow" team could go to the semifinals without really being the best teams there. And don't even start, people criticized the last format and didn't give credit to the kenyans for making it thus far and just going on about the that format...now with ireland more deserving and being the best among team(in terms of performance in the cup) and making it to the second round. This time, you won't have teams that supposedly don't deserve to be in the semis in the semis.
To be perfectly honest, the format in World cup 96 was the best for me. End of story.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
LA ICE-E said:
And the point is? ICC can only plan, they can't play for the top 8 making sure that they'll make the super 8. And are we now complaining about how long the tournament is? Well, this wc had 3 less games than the last wc. why didn't you complain then? This wc had less games with the associates then before even though it got 2 more associates. Do you have any other formats lined up for us too look at that would include the associates and be better than the current one?

My suggestions would be, keep the same format. With having 2 games per day for the super 8. or divide the super 8 into 2 groups of 4. or lastly have quarterfinals. But guess what though? No team can be guaranteed to qualify. No format can do that.
I see you are a fan of twisting statements around so you can make dramatic arguments. You are making it seem like I'm blaming the ICC for India and Pakistan not making it through to the next round and the other teams not providing competition for Australia, whereas all I am suggesting is that it was oversight by them. I don't know what has got you into this offensive mindset, especially given that it is my opinion that India did not deserve to get to the next round, anyway.

The point I am making is had the ICC even considered the top 8 not making it through, they would have organized the tournament differently. I don't think you will find a significant portion of cricket fans agree that this format is okay. It is too long. You suggested it yourself, by recommending that two games be played a day. If the ICC had taken into consideration this, they would probably also have thought of methods to shorten the tournament.

Finally, if you go back to my first post, you will find that I said that the "only place the ICC are to blame" is that they made the assumption that all the teams they expected to qualify would qualify. I'm not saying that the ICC should have helped the top teams qualify or any other points that you infer that I am making. They aren't to blame because the top teams didn't bring their top games. They are only to blame because they expected without a doubt that the aforementioned would happen.

BigCrickNan

Chairman of Selectors
siddharth2002 said:
To be perfectly honest, the format in World cup 96 was the best for me. End of story.

That was flawed England got to the quarters by beating Holland and UAE.

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
PlanetCricket Award Winner
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Originally Posted by siddharth2002

Drewska said:
That was flawed England got to the quarters by beating Holland and UAE.

How is England getting to the next round flawed because they beat 2 associate teams. That's all the 'big' teams had to do this time round ?

Users who are viewing this thread