TV Coverage

Will_NA

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Botham just can't carry a conversation. If he's asked a question, he pauses, looks out into play and then looks back and says something uninteresting. I like Atherton as he is more analytical. Holding's the best of the bunch. Lloyd doesn't say anything different, the novelty's worn off.

Warne's an absolute douche as a person but his commentary's brilliant. He's delved straight into it. He's not safe and conservative like many first-timers.

Leicester Fox

Chairman of Selectors
Warne is repeating himself. I swear I thought I had gone back in time at some point in this test. I don't know if you heard but he thinks Nathan Hauritz has really improved and Warne is of the opinion that is all you can do as a cricketer.

chainsnatcher

School Cricketer
I reckon he has got a point.You can't really do more as a cricketer other than give your 100% which is true in case of other sports as well.I always felt Warne had what it takes to be a good commentator.I might be blowing things out of proportion but I feel he could very well be the next Richie Benaud.He has got everything fame,charisma,the voice,the knowledge and I could go on and on.TV audiences would love to hear comments from someone like ol' Shane.

Leicester Fox

Chairman of Selectors
I'm sure he might have a point but I don't need to hear it every time Nathan Hauritz is bowling.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
I lol'd when Russel Crowe was 3rd Man with Warne

And you could tell he was an actor (great actor in my opinion), who had obviously undertaken a lot of voice training! On the one hand, you had the commentators, and then on the other, Crowe's rich, deep voice! It was funny when he was on 3rd man though.

chainsnatcher

School Cricketer
I didn't find it funny,I thought he meant every word he said.He is not just one of the best actors but he also seems extremely sports-savvy.He went to school with the Crowe brothers[Martin and Jeff],he definitely would have played cricket in his younger days and has very good knowledge about the game as well.You could almost see the respect Warne and Hussain had for Russell crowe in their eyes and the way they spoke to him.I wonder whether Hugh Jackman is a cricket fan or not......

BTW those who missed his little cameo as 3rd man can watch it here:
YouTube - Russell Crowe on the 2nd Test Match of the 2009 England vs Australia Ashes series

P

pcfan123

Russel Crowe usually plays in the Hollywood Ashes. Its a small t20 match in Los Angeles where old players and current Aussie/English Celebs play each other. Recently they have had everyone from Mel Gibson to Steve Waugh playing in it.

york my big toe

School Cricketer
I really like Shane Warne's commentary. He's actually pretty unbiased, has interesting views and he's just a legend. More Warne!!!!

Your avin a Steffi Graff, he questioned every decision that went the way of England, he even said Hawkeye had got it wrong on a ball smashing leg stump plum, stick to watching "home and away"

I feel sorry for you poms. You have to pay to watch Sky Sports yet we get Sky Sports on free to air TV. : UNQUOTE.

Do you still feel sorry for "the poms" ?
HOOOWWWZZZAAATTT.

Attachments

• Graeme-Swann-celebrates-t-001.jpg
    Graeme-Swann-celebrates-t-001.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
I didn't find it funny,I thought he meant every word he said.He is not just one of the best actors but he also seems extremely sports-savvy.He went to school with the Crowe brothers[Martin and Jeff],he definitely would have played cricket in his younger days and has very good knowledge about the game as well.You could almost see the respect Warne and Hussain had for Russell crowe in their eyes and the way they spoke to him.I wonder whether Hugh Jackman is a cricket fan or not......

YouTube - Russell Crowe on the 2nd Test Match of the 2009 England vs Australia Ashes series

Don't get me wrong, I don't mean what he said was funny, just his being there and how his trained voice contrasted with the other guys!!

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Warne is repeating himself. I swear I thought I had gone back in time at some point in this test. I don't know if you heard but he thinks Nathan Hauritz has really improved and Warne is of the opinion that is all you can do as a cricketer.

Yes this is Warney's weakness. He'll spend an over trying to explain something that a better wordsmith could say in a ball or 2.

He's at his best commenting on the spinners tactics. I don't care if Hauritz has improved, but I'm listening when Warney tries to explain what he's trying to bowl or should be trying to bowl.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors

Well he does own the South Sydney League team. And Martin Crowe is his cousin I think.

chainsnatcher

School Cricketer
Don't get me wrong, I don't mean what he said was funny, just his being there and how his trained voice contrasted with the other guys!!

I can understand that it must have been a little odd seeing Russell Crowe as the 3rd man and even I noticed the contrast between his voice and the regular commentators.I hope we see more people like him from Hollywood or any celebrity who is a Cricket fan to promote cricket like this.Because Cricket needs a lot more respect from people around the globe and this might be one way of getting it.I am not asking them act like how those crazy Indian celebrities do in IPL....I just want more to promote the game by making guest appearances during matches so the TV audiences would be attracted to watch cricket especially test matches...Certainly a series like The Ashes sells itself just by its sheer name...I am talking about the less popular ones like a match between England and say New Zealand although both play attractive cricket,the TV ratings and attendances are pretty poor considering that it is an international match.

P

pcfan123

^ spot on , we need real stars like Crowe to promote the game for us. Even Mel Gibson plays in the Hollywood Ashes ( a t20 match between celebs in Los Angeles) and I would not worry about it turning into IPL, Hollywood stars generally find discretion to be the better part of valor and are not blatantly commercial or tacky.

chainsnatcher

School Cricketer
Australian actors atleast are willing to promote the game whereas I can't really recollect any English actor as being a big cricket fan.Although there are many more famous English actors than Australian ones,they don't promote the game like the latter.One reason could be that many prefer football over cricket up here in Britain.

Users who are viewing this thread