Vaughan Will Definitely Miss Ashes

evertonfan

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
cricinfo said:
Michael Vaughan is definitely out of this year's Ashes, according to BBC reports.

Vaughan had a fourth operation on his knee earlier this week, and surgery showed that it was more damaged than had been believed. Later, an ECB spokesman told AFP: "I can confirm that Michael will miss the Ashes tour." The ECB will issue a full statement at 1300BST (1200GMT).

For the full article click here.

Damn! When he wasn't ruled out for sure I could live in hope, but this latest news is devastating.

Last edited by a moderator:

duffarama

Chairman of Selectors
evertonfan said:
Taken from Cricinfo:

'Michael Vaughan is definitely out of this year's Ashes, according to BBC reports.

Vaughan had a fourth operation on his knee earlier this week, and surgery showed that it was more damaged than had been believed. Later, an ECB spokesman told AFP: "I can confirm that Michael will miss the Ashes tour." The ECB will issue a full statement at 1300BST (1200GMT).

But even before Monday's surgery, Vaughan's tour prospects were in doubt as he was already ruled out for four to six months, with the first Ashes Test starting on November 23.

Vaughan has not played for England since being forced to return home early from the tour of India in March. He attempted a comeback for Yorkshire last month but the injury flared up again and he was advised that further surgery was necessary.

Vaughan last year skippered England to their first series victory over Australia in nearly two decades and had been desperate to lead the side's bid to retain the Ashes. And nevermind the Ashes - his prospects of ever playing again must now be hanging in the balance. '

Damn! When he wasn't ruled out for sure I could live in hope, but this latest news is devastating.
Please also append a direct link to the article.

Stephen Bailey

Executive member
Profile Flag
England
duffarama said:

I've sorted it for now.

It's a huge blow from a captaincy point of view, but as a player I don't know how much we're losing. Being out for six months would've meant no cricket at all going into the Ashes and Australia are hardly going to say 'we'll help you back to form' are they?

kodos

International Coach
It definitely is a massive blow. His captaincy of course is pivotal to the team and also his history with the bat in Australia is impressive. I am really skeptical now whether the England team can regain the Ashes with one and possibly two players already being dismissed for the series.

evertonfan

Chairman of Selectors
duffarama said:

Yeah sorry about that Duff! My brain wiped; I completley forgot about the link!

Sureshot

Executive member
An interesting thought/idea came up from Bumbles blog on Sky, how about play Rob Key and make Rob Key captain?

He's got a very good reputation down at Kent.

Our captain needs to be experienced at cricket and should've played for England, I don't think Strauss is good enough and I don't think we should throw another burden on Freddie.

I think there are 2 maybe 3 options.

Trescothick - Experienced, knows the team and has a good cricket brain.

Bring back Butcher - A very good player with a good record vs Australia, also done well with captaining Surrey.

An outside shot Collingwood - Good experience, will lead by example with his tremendous fielding.

I'd opt for Tres.

How about you?

evertonfan

Chairman of Selectors
Sureshot said:
An interesting thought/idea came up from Bumbles blog on Sky, how about play Rob Key and make Rob Key captain?

Our captain needs to be experienced at cricket and should've played for England, I don't think Strauss is good enough and I don't think we should throw another burden on Freddie.

Bring back Butcher - A very good player with a good record vs Australia, also done well with captaining Surrey.

An outside shot Collingwood - Good experience, will lead by example with his tremendous fielding.

I'd opt for Tres.

How about you?

I've said it before and i'll say it again; Colly. He is unbreachable character, the Aussie players and crowd won't get to him. I also agree with the Butch option; his record against Australia is exceptional, but I wouldn't go with Key though.

y2j826

International Captain<br><a href="http://www.plane
Whether Vaughan will play or not, Australia will play with everything they have in them to win this Ashes and have more then 75% chances to win this one, only 2 Threats for them " Pietersen and Flintoff "

evertonfan

Chairman of Selectors
y2j826 said:
Whether Vaughan will play or not, Australia will play with everything they have in them to win this Ashes and have more then 75% chances to win this one, only 2 Threats for them " Pietersen and Flintoff "

...and Trescothick and Harmison and Panesar and Anderson and Hoggard...

Last edited:

y2j826

evertonfan said:
...and Trescothick and Harmison and Panesar and Anderson...

If you think that they are threat you can Add England's Under 19 team too in the Ashes then they all will be threat too.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
I am pretty sure Ricky Pontings scar on his right cheek and umpteen hits to the head of Justin Langer would imply Harmison will most definately be a threat. A few Aussie batsman did actually say after the series that Harmison was one of the tougher bowlers to face considering the aggressive way in which he attacked them.

On the quicker pitches in Aus that have good bounce and carry, he should cause a few problems.

Vaughan will be a big loss, but it is time to start planning for the squad instead of waiting for players to return to fitness. If someones unavailable then someone else has to step in and perform for their country. Competition for places can only be a good thing for England.

y2j826

If thinking as a batsman mind McGrath is the worst even bowler for them, keep pitching bowl on one line again and again, and finally batsman have to do something and most of times thats edge, and he will be back in Ashes Series, so "McGrath V/s Harmison" McGrath will surely win.

Sureshot

Executive member
y2j826 said:
If you think that they are threat you can Add England's Under 19 team too in the Ashes then they all will be threat too.

:rolleyes:

Show some maturity.

kodos

International Coach
y2j826 said:
If thinking as a batsman mind McGrath is the worst even bowler for them, keep pitching bowl on one line again and again, and finally batsman have to do something and most of times thats edge, and he will be back in Ashes Series, so "McGrath V/s Harmison" McGrath will surely win.

If it was 3 or so years back I would say McGrath would win. McGrath isn't the same as what he was 3 years ago and atm I would actually pick Harmison ahead of McGrath purely because the pitches in Australia and much more harder and faster which will suit Harmison.

Sureshot said:

I'd opt for Tres.

How about you?

I would also opt for Trescothick. Strauss isn't up to it for me, Flintoff is the best bowler in the team and adding the captaincy as you say will place even more pressure, bringing back Butcher is a good idea but I think Key, Shah or Joyce do deserve a spot in the team, and for Collingwood, I don't really see him as a decent captain but I have never seen him do it before. Collingwood seems very easy going like Flintoff and when the pressue situation comes around I'm not quite sure whether he can handle it unlike Vaughan or Tresco.

Users who are viewing this thread