what would you pay for in DLC?

rusty025

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
I think there is a good opportunity to have some DLC for this game. Here's what I would be happy to pay for:

1. Shane Warne.

2. Possibly extra stadiums - perhaps these could be "bundled" with licensed teams from different nations (although I do think that all teams should have proper names for players and don't really want to pay for this)

3. Maybe classic teams, like the invincibles or the Australian team from the earlier half of this century (Steve Waugh et al.)

Kabooka

International Cricketer
Official Rosters ( updated with stats ) , Official Kits & Bats, More Stadiums, Improved Textures & Skins

kingofkings8183

School Cricketer
free roster updates and stats,and paid stadiums legendary players and licenced kits,equipment and teams would be ideal

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
I also think that maybe they could add some official tournaments like the world cup and maybe IPL

Yes, I would pay for some proper tournaments - it would add some much needed longevity to the game outside of test matches.

EarlCG

Club Cricketer
The kind of stuff you're talking about basically comes down to licensing more official data. For a start, with EA around, the licences may not be available for purchase - EA may well already have them under exclusivity deals for their next title. Secondly, licensing content must be one of the most expensive single expenses in game development; Transmission & Codemasters would need to be confident that whatever DLC. The DLC would not be purchased by every single person that buys the basic game and so they'd have to factor this in and I reckon that would push the price above what most people are willing to pay.

That's even before we get onto the topic of whether they'd even consider making DLC. DLC is a way of generating further revenue from titles which aren't going to have a sequel for sometime, Fallout 3 being a fine example. At the end of the day, DLC is just downloadable expansion packs. They're quite often smaller in scope than the traditional expansion pack as the pricing is more flexible without the fixed overheads of producing discs & packaging and getting it onto store shelves (where the retailer then takes a cut). I appreciate some of you are going to point to Valve's free DLC for TF2 & L4D1, but Valve are the exception to a lot of rules in games development.

Why would Transmission spend time working on DLC when it's clear that they'll be looking to release a full blown sequel in the franchise when the Ashes are in Australia in the Winter of 2010-2011? Any additional content they are able to develop now can be included in that game to compel people to purchase next iteration of the series rather than tab on DLC to AC2009, which there are no guarantee's that the majority of players would purchase.

There is also the complication of delivering DLC over multiple platforms. Valve have found no way support the PS3 with such content and are still struggling to deal with Microsoft and data capacity issues with the TF2 updates on the X-Box 360.

Basically, I think this is a moot discussion. Let's just hope they give us a decent patch instead.

kingofkings8183

School Cricketer
The kind of stuff you're talking about basically comes down to licensing more official data. For a start, with EA around, the licences may not be available for purchase - EA may well already have them under exclusivity deals for their next title. Secondly, licensing content must be one of the most expensive single expenses in game development; Transmission & Codemasters would need to be confident that whatever DLC. The DLC would not be purchased by every single person that buys the basic game and so they'd have to factor this in and I reckon that would push the price above what most people are willing to pay.

That's even before we get onto the topic of whether they'd even consider making DLC. DLC is a way of generating further revenue from titles which aren't going to have a sequel for sometime, Fallout 3 being a fine example. At the end of the day, DLC is just downloadable expansion packs. They're quite often smaller in scope than the traditional expansion pack as the pricing is more flexible without the fixed overheads of producing discs & packaging and getting it onto store shelves (where the retailer then takes a cut). I appreciate some of you are going to point to Valve's free DLC for TF2 & L4D1, but Valve are the exception to a lot of rules in games development.

Why would Transmission spend time working on DLC when it's clear that they'll be looking to release a full blown sequel in the franchise when the Ashes are in Australia in the Winter of 2010-2011? Any additional content they are able to develop now can be included in that game to compel people to purchase next iteration of the series rather than tab on DLC to AC2009, which there are no guarantee's that the majority of players would purchase.

There is also the complication of delivering DLC over multiple platforms. Valve have found no way support the PS3 with such content and are still struggling to deal with Microsoft and data capacity issues with the TF2 updates on the X-Box 360.

Basically, I think this is a moot discussion. Let's just hope they give us a decent patch instead.

i do agree,but fifa 09 had DLC,and its a yearly series,but then again,AC09 has neither the budget or the fanbase to even consider competing with fifa 09

EarlCG

Club Cricketer
i do agree,but fifa 09 had DLC,and its a yearly series,but then again,AC09 has neither the budget or the fanbase to even consider competing with fifa 09

As a firmly PES player (going right back to ISS on the SNES & Mega Drive), I wasn't aware of that. What did they include?

As you say though, the numbers involved in the two cases are fairly different.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
@EarlCG: I don't agree - they don't even need to licence anything. All they need to do is just make the tournaments the proper length! As long as they give it some generic name, they won't be stepping on anyone's toes.

EarlCG

Club Cricketer
@EarlCG: I don't agree - they don't even need to licence anything. All they need to do is just make the tournaments the proper length! As long as they give it some generic name, they won't be stepping on anyone's toes.

I wasn't just replying to your post there Masterblaster. I'm also fairly sure that, even without the naming issue, the tournament structure would fall within the ICC's copyright, so they'd have to come up with something different.

Regardless, that feature alone wouldn't be enough to warrant DLC and I can't see them introducing it in the patch.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
I wasn't just replying to your post there Masterblaster. I'm also fairly sure that, even without the naming issue, the tournament structure would fall within the ICC's copyright, so they'd have to come up with something different.

Regardless, that feature alone wouldn't be enough to warrant DLC and I can't see them introducing it in the patch.

I don't think it does, because Konami always used to use the exact structure of the Champions League even before they got the licence, for PES. They did the same thing with the excellent 'International Challenge' mode from PES 6 - which was basically the World Cup including qualifiers, in everything but name.

EarlCG

Club Cricketer
I don't think it does, because Konami always used to use the exact structure of the Champions League even before they got the licence, for PES. They did the same thing with the excellent 'International Challenge' mode from PES 6 - which was basically the World Cup including qualifiers, in everything but name.

I always remember the "International Challenge" mode being quite different to the actual World Cup tournament structure on ISS64.

Still, I think you'll be waiting for the next version.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
I always remember the "International Challenge" mode being quite different to the actual World Cup tournament structure on ISS64.

Still, I think you'll be waiting for the next version.

Oh, I agree - there's no chance of DLC, but it would be nice if they gave us a surprise.

The problem with the game now is, because there are no full length tournaments, the only longevity with the game is Test matches; there are currently two problems with that. One, the Tests desparately need a patch. Two, even with a patch, after the Ashes, we won't want to play Tests - we'll want to play ODI/Twenty20s. Are there even ODI series in the game? Triangular series I haven't checked yet (it's annoying to have to switch to Win 7 all the time just for one game). We'll all get back into the Tests in the winter, but until then, they'll go on the backburner. They still need a patch, Transmission. Don't use that as an excuse.

By the way, I meant PES 6 on PC. The International Challenge was the World Cup in everything but name - of course, they dropped it for PES 2008, being the dumbasses that Konami are these days.

surendar

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Are there even ODI series in the game?

There is no series :facepalm I really wonder why they have made like that. When we asked the question about IPL ( I think it's the first interview ), they promised that we can create tournaments like those.

But just starting from quarter final is tournament? :sarcasm Com'on even BLIC had warm up stages as far as I remember. :facepalm But I don't think it is going to happen in patches/fixes anyways.

May be, take an excel sheet. Create columns for every match, play single matches and record ourselves in tournament structure. Thats what we can do!:sarcasm

kingofkings8183

School Cricketer
As a firmly PES player (going right back to ISS on the SNES & Mega Drive), I wasn't aware of that. What did they include?

As you say though, the numbers involved in the two cases are fairly different.

they had ultimate team in fifa 09,sort of an online team building/player trading game,its not bad.i do suggest you give fifa a try now,i own both PES and fifa,and cant help but play FIFA much more often.

back on topic,realistically a tournament mode DLC seems to be unlikely,since the game solely focuses on the ashes as far as 'tournaments' are concerned.besides,if they intended to put in something as basic as this,it wouldve been done already.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread