Your Cricket What's your bowling action?

Helpman

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
My bowling action is suspect to say the least. I bowl medium pace which is more like fast spin. My wrist moves alot and my arm comes down almost at a 45 degree angle.(difficult to picture!) I think people interpret this as chucking. However I dont care cause I'm a batsman anyway.

nickglen

School Cricketer
I bowl off-spinners like the Aussie off Spinner Nathan Hauritz although sometimes it looks like Andrew Symonds Off Spin

.Mob

International Coach
Batting - Murali
Bowling - a poor man's mixture of a Nayar run up with a Munaf delivery.

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
Right arm legspin. I stand next to the stumps, walk down 7 paces, and then 4 paces diagonally to my right. That's where I start bowling. 1....2...3...4...steps walking, nice and easy, look around at the field, where I want to bowl...then waltz in casually and however I feel comfortably towards the stumps, right and left arm rise to my head, pick up speed, left to aim, right holding the ball, grip tightens on the ball, right hand comes down to chest, left stays up, pick up speed, right keeps falling down to the waist, nearly running for like 2 steps, small jump, land on right foot just before bowling, nice long, easy final step, whole body turns, right arm comes over, ball is released.

I ran up and down with my action like 7 times to get all that down. It's the easiest action I have so far, and I plan on using it a lot.

shubhrayu

International Coach
Run Up includes 15 Steps..
Long Strides a jump in the end and a good follow through...

.Mob

International Coach
Of course, Shub, would expect nothing less of you.

Well, mine is pretty simple really, Nayar's run up and a Munaf like delivery, and the ball itself is a dibbly dobbly, Chris Harris like delivery.

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
You have quite a short runup and seem to be collapsing before bowling, and slowing down when reaching the stumps. Try to sprint faster and be more natural with it. Your action is excellent for swing, but it's like your holding your pace back. Not fulling converting your runup into pace, but converting it into that swing instead.

When I bowl fast I'd like to say it's like Steyn. Running in full speed towards the stumps, body bends side way a bit (facing a right handers legside), a little leap, right arm kinda round arm, left arm not very high. It's like the legspin action when the arm comes up to deliver (naturally), but I try to put in full effort and get maximum speed when I bowl. Don't know how I'd swing it though :p

Ooh, and I have a medium pacer action too! Straight jog, ball in left hand, then just like the above action towards the end, but while jogging, so a very short leap, not an extravagant followthrough, and more control. Actually bowl some offspinners this way by rolling my fingers down the ball...

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
I'm trying to develop my bowling alot over the next year, I want to be bowling at an actual decent pace by this time next year. I performed well stats wise last year, but I wasn't happy with how I bowled, and stand no chance of getting anywhere in the game bowling like I did last year. I'm going to work on my run up, lengthen it to 18 paces, and really put some effort behind my delivery, as last season I was just letting it go and plopping it on a spot.

I'm going to really study Dale Steyn's action, and try and model myself as closely as possible on that. He's got such a stylish, flowing action, brilliant to watch. He swings the ball as well, something that I pride myself on being able to do. I can swing the ball both ways with just a turn of the wrist, or a change in the seam position. So yeh, I'll hopefully be bowling with an action similar to Steyn's next year, might not have the pace, but it'll look good :p

Leggie

Chairman of Selectors

Thats ridiculously similair to RP Singhs...Same run up and follow through.

I'm a Leggie - If you didn't guess already :p

My action is very similair to Piyush Chawla's. I wave my hands around a lot before my release - Helpful as it disguises my googly well. I need to work on my follow through though as I sometimes stop after delivering, Whereas I should be taking a few paces forward.

manee

Chairman of Selectors
I'm trying to develop my bowling alot over the next year, I want to be bowling at an actual decent pace by this time next year. I performed well stats wise last year, but I wasn't happy with how I bowled, and stand no chance of getting anywhere in the game bowling like I did last year. I'm going to work on my run up, lengthen it to 18 paces, and really put some effort behind my delivery, as last season I was just letting it go and plopping it on a spot.

I'm going to really study Dale Steyn's action, and try and model myself as closely as possible on that. He's got such a stylish, flowing action, brilliant to watch. He swings the ball as well, something that I pride myself on being able to do. I can swing the ball both ways with just a turn of the wrist, or a change in the seam position. So yeh, I'll hopefully be bowling with an action similar to Steyn's next year, might not have the pace, but it'll look good :p

Good person to model an action on - the key feature which gives him the pace is the follow through, he really swings them through fully and rotates the hips to the point where he is facing the off side after delivery.

manee added 4 Minutes and 27 Seconds later...

Thats ridiculously similair to RP Singhs...Same run up and follow through.

Indeed, and he is one of the few bowlers in cricket who I have never actually tried to emulate; in fact, I only spotted the comparison earlier today.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
That's good to hear :D. I'll just keep watching Youtube videos of his action and try to replicate it as closely as I can, obviously with a little bit of natural variation as everyone's body is different. I've actually made it my New Years Resolution to actually try hard to make it in the game. I've only been playing 3 years, if that, but I'm already one of the quickest bowlers in my club when bowling at full steam off. And that's off 12 paces with a pretty poor follow through. So I think if I got into the gym, got fitter, stronger, and really put the work in over the summer, well starting in a couple of months, I think I could be bowling at a decent level, high enough to play at Minor Counties at least I reckon.

It's not going to be easy, I know that, but I believe I can do it, and if I put the work in and it doesn't happen, then at least I've tried. I know I'd only regret it if I don't put 100% into trying to make it in the game, at least if I try my best I'll know. I think I could make it though. I'd love to follow the tips of Jonathan Agnew and go abroad to play some level of cricket, somewhere like Sri Lanka, maybe, who knows. Just see how things go this year!

nickglen

School Cricketer
I bowl off-spinners like the Aussie off Spinner Nathan Hauritz although sometimes it looks like Andrew Symonds Off Spin

I said this earlier and also when I bowl Medium Pace I bowl like Australia's new Medium Pacer Andrew McDonald

Users who are viewing this thread