Your Cricket Fast Bowling Thread

manee

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Really Worried

I am really really worried about my knees, they are so weak. I do the stretches the physio says, but in about 3 weeks of doing them three times a day (like she says) they still hurt from time to time and are weak.

I did a fake squat recently (with the bent back and heels off the ground) out of curiousity and my knees were hurting enough for about 30seconds...that should not happen!

Luckily it rarely hurts in a game because of adrenilin or sumfin like that but it is still bad outside of cricket and could hinder a possible fast bowling career for me. I am 14, is there a way out of this knee crisis, will my stretches eventually take effect.

langerrox

International Coach
manee said:
I am really really worried about my knees, they are so weak. I do the stretches the physio says, but in about 3 weeks of doing them three times a day (like she says) they still hurt from time to time and are weak.

I did a fake squat recently (with the bent back and heels off the ground) out of curiousity and my knees were hurting enough for about 30seconds...that should not happen!

Luckily it rarely hurts in a game because of adrenilin or sumfin like that but it is still bad outside of cricket and could hinder a possible fast bowling career for me. I am 14, is there a way out of this knee crisis, will my stretches eventually take effect.
bad knees are often occaisated with weight problems, is that an issue with you?

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
To be honest, I don't think you need to do these stretches three times a day. I would probably do them twice a day, with weekends as rest. No stretches.

manee

Chairman of Selectors
Well it is a sort of squat (but different), it is supposed to be done 10x3 times a day but I do it 5x3 times a day to avoid doing it too fast.

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
I bowled after ages today. 4 months or so. So, was a bit rusty, couldn't find my rhythm. But bowled a few decent balls, got a couple of guys bowled, but didn't impress. Was a lot slower today as I was tryng to find my feet. But in a couple of classes I'll be back in form...

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
manee said:
Well it is a sort of squat (but different), it is supposed to be done 10x3 times a day but I do it 5x3 times a day to avoid doing it too fast.
You are 14 years old. Your body will not have completely developed yet. I recommend some light stretches on weekdays, rest on weekends and a thorough warm up before playing any sort of cricket.

manee

Chairman of Selectors
Thank you for your help.

ZoraxDoom said:
I bowled after ages today. 4 months or so. So, was a bit rusty, couldn't find my rhythm. But bowled a few decent balls, got a couple of guys bowled, but didn't impress. Was a lot slower today as I was tryng to find my feet. But in a couple of classes I'll be back in form...

If it was nets, do not worry about impressing with pace...people do not care, unless you are rapid (70mph like Evo) for your age. Pick one thing each net session and work on it.

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
Actually, we do what the sir tell's us to do. Like he first told me to hold cross seam when I started pace. he them, after a while, made me do seam up. Then after a few more classes, showed me the outswing and inswing grips. So, I'm starting off cross seam again...

evertonfan

Chairman of Selectors
Was having a look on Cricket Web this morning and found a few handy tips. Some of them are lenghty reads but I think they are very helpful.

This one talks about the basic grip of a cricket ball for a fast bowler;
http://www.cricketweb.net/coaching/pacedout.php

This one gives information on how to bowl swing;
http://www.cricketweb.net/coaching/swingofthings.php

I liked reading this one; Talks about variation in deliveries;
http://www.cricketweb.net/coaching/mixingitup.php

This one refers to bowling action and how to increase speed;
http://www.cricketweb.net/coaching/bowlingaction.php

Sorry if these are old, but I read them this morning and found them to be very interesting and I can't wait to test them out.

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
I want someone to time me :)
But good point about the runups. I wasn't getting my rhythm right last class. I think I'll extend it. My action seems fine though, the lines seem to run to about Backward/Cover point :)

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
I tried a longer run-up today, and found my rhythm :) Everyhting was nice and full and straight on the stumps, and coming out of the hand nicely. However, I wasn't gripping the ball to swing it, bar the last one, which had a nice line, full, and wobbled a bit. Unfortunately, Sir was batting the whole day, and all the kids (Soft and Hard ball) had to field and bowl :p Got hammered all over like there was no tommorrow. Something tells me he goes extra hard at me just because I am one of the few who can land the ball at the same spot over and over again at a decent speed without chucking :p

Users who are viewing this thread