Who should take England's final bowling spot?

Who should England choose?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RoboRocks

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Ten places are set in stone for England in the first test at Cardiff but who should take the last bowling spot in the XI. The pitch will most likely spin and two spinners could be an option but Onions has the current seam spot with good performances against the Windies. Should England play a second spinner or chose Onions, or maybe Harmison, who has caused Philip Hughes problems in the tour match?

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
I'm completely torn between Onions and Harmison, I really cannot pick between the 2. On the one hand you've got a guy who's done everything required of him. He's bowled brilliantly for Durham, got wickets in the 2 Tests he played for England and has bowled well for the Lions. Then you've got Harmy who everyone had written off 4 months ago, but has performed well for Durham (as he does every year) and then bowled very well for the Lions. Incredibly hard to pick. I'd probably go with the man in possession, Onions though tbh, definitely wouldn't be picking MSP or Gash.

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
I will go with Onions as well. Its good that Harmy has number on Hughes but you have to take 9 more wickets.

RoboRocks

Chairman of Selectors
I would only pick Harmison if he takes 5 wickets or plus in this innings. He shouldn't be picked if he's only getting out Hughes. Unless it's a bunsen, I would go with Onions since he's done nothing wrong and will trouble the Aussie left handers bowling close to the stumps. Broad is similar to Harmison since he's tall and has a high action and that'll cause Hughes similar problems.

If it turns as much as people say then it would be hard to choose between Panesar and Rashid. Rashid hasn't covered himself in glory in this game. He's bowled total garbage really and Panesar has only got a few tailenders at Edgbaston.

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
From what the commentators have been saying, it wont take that much spin and groundsmen is keen on letting some grass on the pitch.

RoboRocks

Chairman of Selectors
From what the commentators have been saying, it wont take that much spin and groundsmen is keen on letting some grass on the pitch.

It will spin a little. It would be a mistake for the groundsman to put any grass on at this stage with the test starting in a week. You also have to remember is that the county matches haven't been played on the actual test strip, so the stats that say there haven't been a lot of wickets taken, are irrelevant.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
Monty and Rashid haven't done enough. Monty's scraped a few tail end wickets and Rashid's bowled too many rank deliveries. The pitch will turn, but only Test class spinners will be truely dangerous, and I don't consider either of them to be good enough at the moment. Rashid's got alot of potential, but he's not good enough atm. Should definitely be a choice between Onions and Harmison, and Onions is in possession, so gets the spot for me.

RoboRocks

Chairman of Selectors
Monty and Rashid haven't done enough. Monty's scraped a few tail end wickets and Rashid's bowled too many rank deliveries. The pitch will turn, but only Test class spinners will be truely dangerous, and I don't consider either of them to be good enough at the moment. Rashid's got alot of potential, but he's not good enough atm. Should definitely be a choice between Onions and Harmison, and Onions is in possession, so gets the spot for me.

The thing is Rashid will be dangerous if he gets it right. His variations could be a useful asset on a turning Cardiff pitch, but he hasn't bowled anything like in this match. Panesar on the other hand has looked rather innocuous in the last year or two.

If the wicket is absolute turner, then I would consider Rashid on potential, otherwise it's Onions all the way.

Dr. Pepper

Chairman of Selectors
I would go with Onions. He's done everything right and hasn't put a foot wrong. He's done well in the tour match too. I don't know when it comes to Harmison. I just don't think he'll deliver the same way he does in County Cricket. Monty has done sod all in the last year, and does not deserve a spot. Rashid hasn't shown enough in the Lions match or in the T20 World Cup. He had to show that he could variate, and turn the ball really well but didn't show enough. Onions for me.

mattfb

Chairman of Selectors
If Harmison takes a few more wickets this innings then I would probably go him. He bowled well with the new ball and has trouble our top order.

Ari

International Cricketer
Harmison must frustrate English fans why can he only bowl like this at home? If he gets back in the side he will only get dropped after there next overseas tour. Anyway Onions has been bowling very well and I would take him over a less predictable Harmison.

Sureshot

Executive member
Why can he only bowl like that for Durham would be more apt.

Onions, no doubt from me it should be him. The man is on fire and has bowled well for us, albeit against the WI.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Harmison certainly is proving a handful for us, he seems to be troubling Ponting as well which he did during the last Ashes. Onions is the form bowler in County Cricket so both would be good options. For us, Onions experience could be exploited although these English conditions should help him. Harmison could go back to his 06/06 Ashes but hes at home where he seems to perform very well. Would lean more towards Harmison him for this series.

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
1st test seems to set the tone for rest of series. Therefore its better to go with the person whom you can bank upon.

OnlyClarkey

Club Cricketer
Sidebottom.
Harmison is too.. hit and miss, although that's the wrong phrase. Siddy has a great fire for competition that suits the Ashes and people seem to forget how he was the first bowler on the teamsheet before injury, every time he comes back and takes wickets for Notts, and England don't pick him. I don't see Onions doing any good, so as a biased Notts fan I would say that 1 spinner & Sidebottom is the option for me.

Users who are viewing this thread