Who should take England's final bowling spot?

Who should England choose?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Yeah I think Ryan Sidebottom would be perfect for the Ashes, he just seems like one of those players that would really step up when needed. When he was in NZ last year he was amazing, pretty much unplayable really.

I would go:

Anderson
Sidebottom
Broad
Flintoff
Swann

But my guess is the selectors would choose both Harmison and Onions before him. Tbh I can't see Broad getting droped either since it seems he is imune to it. Swann and Anderson could easily make up for his batting.

Ari

International Cricketer
Forgot all about Sidebottom I would go for him instead of Onions.

OnlyClarkey

Club Cricketer
Problem is Geoff Miller was at Trent Bridge on Wednesday to watch him in NottsvLancs and Sidebottom got no wickets. He left next day and Sidebottom got 2 and bowled economically. On the day he didn't see Sidebottom, Harmison was ripping Australia to shreds. I WANT Siddy to play but the obvious choice (if we go with 1 spinner) would be Harmison because of current form.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
I don't agree. The obvious choice because of current form is clearly Onions. He's already in the side, and has done nothing wrong at all. Be incredibly harsh to drop him, especially when Broad can bowl with just as much hostility as Harmison, he proved that against Sarwan.

OnlyClarkey

Club Cricketer
I don't agree. The obvious choice because of current form is clearly Onions. He's already in the side, and has done nothing wrong at all. Be incredibly harsh to drop him, especially when Broad can bowl with just as much hostility as Harmison, he proved that against Sarwan.

The form I'm referring to is that they are both leading wicket takers in county cricket, but in Harmison's case he is bowling well against Australia at the minute. It's all well and good having Broad bowl at the same hostility as Harmy, but Harmy is taking wickets against the top order at the minute as though he's figured them out. I would much rather go into the match with that certainty. You probably won't agree but it is a good process of thought.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
How many games would Broad have to play badly in to get dropped?

Five

I haven't seen that much of Onions, but he isn't anything that special from what I have seen of him. Sidebottom has that X-factor.

D

Deleted member 13648

The form I'm referring to is that they are both leading wicket takers in county cricket, but in Harmison's case he is bowling well against Australia at the minute. It's all well and good having Broad bowl at the same hostility as Harmy, but Harmy is taking wickets against the top order at the minute as though he's figured them out. I would much rather go into the match with that certainty. You probably won't agree but it is a good process of thought.

I know this kid, his opinion's gospel tbh.

Sorry Dan, son. ;)

Mercules

Club Cricketer
Turning pitch - Rashid
Green pitch - Sidebottom
Hard, fast pitch - Harmison
Flat pitch - Onions

Only way I can separate them tbh.

Owzat

International Coach
Harmison averages 40 against the aussies, and not with the bat. The aussies know what he's about, or rather what he isn't about, but Onions could surprise them - or Sidebottom. Our bowling attack is pretty much completely different, but here's a comparison of the possible line-ups

Flintoff 2009 vs Flintoff 2005 - I'd take the latter and his contribution from 2005
Swann vs Giles - I'd take Swann every time
Broad vs Hoggard - Hoggard picked up crucial wickets, Broad has more batting though
Onions/Panesar vs Harmison - I'd probably take either over wayward Harmison who has all the right attributes but that's about it
Anderson vs S.Jones - it will be hard for Anderson to emulate S.Jones, he averages 82.60 vs the aussies

OnlyClarkey

Club Cricketer
I want to see Bell play a few games. If Collingwood wasn't such a good player of spin I'd say Bell in for Colly. I also really wish Siddy was playing, he will bring a good battle or two to the forefront which always makes watching the Ashes that little bit more enjoyable.
I wonder how often Collingwood's medium pace will be used, if at all?

Last edited:

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Harmison averages 40 against the aussies, and not with the bat. The aussies know what he's about, or rather what he isn't about, but Onions could surprise them - or Sidebottom. Our bowling attack is pretty much completely different, but here's a comparison of the possible line-ups

Flintoff 2009 vs Flintoff 2005 - I'd take the latter and his contribution from 2005
Swann vs Giles - I'd take Swann every time
Broad vs Hoggard - Hoggard picked up crucial wickets, Broad has more batting though
Onions/Panesar vs Harmison - I'd probably take either over wayward Harmison who has all the right attributes but that's about it
Anderson vs S.Jones - it will be hard for Anderson to emulate S.Jones, he averages 82.60 vs the aussies
I would suggest Anderson has replaced Hoggard. This to me is the most obvious comparison, as Anderson only became a consistent member of the Test side after Hoggard's last game. Both players exist to bowl full and swing the new ball. Both are suited to English conditions more than most others. Anderson has a worse history against Australia, but ought to be a bit more deadly than Hoggard at home, especially if he starting to find his career best form.

Broad offers similar qualities to Harmison, tall though maybe not quite as quick, but still quick enough; he often takes the new ball and can bowl threatening deliveries, but can also stray off his line and length. Broad is still very green, but the potential is there.

It leaves Onions as the replacement for Simon Jones, not really the best fit, but both are attacking bowlers who can surprise batsmen in the right conditions. It makes for a very abstract comparison, but if Onions has less "x-factor", he can certainly make up for it with load more fitness and consistency.

P

pcfan123

the only reason to pick Harmy would be for the trouble he caused Hughes. However Hughes is not a star player, he had 1 good series! We have no idea if he will be a superstar or a flop. To pick inconsistent Harmison just for one untested player is rubbish. Just let Harmison go guys. He is finished.

BackwardPoint

Banned
It will be Onions. Panesar only took a few tail ender wickets. Australia might not even play a spinner. England will not be playing two of them.

Users who are viewing this thread