Why T20 sucks...

Sartaj

Panel of Selectors
Well years ago, Test cricket was dying off. The games were very boring, and lots of games were draws. Then, Kerry Packer introduced One Day cricket and the whole thing of World Series Cricket, and bringing it to the international arena. This lead to batsmen playing much more aggressive, and then Test cricket started to get more results, rather than draws, and become much more interesting and appealing to the general public.

yeah.great point.:cheers
but,in the current scenario,ODI cricket is essentially worthless.

Jakester1288

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Emm..what's wrong with that? The ODI World Cup still remains the main and real WC, this is just something light-hearted. Also, it's just a two and a half week long tournament which proves my point. It's nothing serious, just for your enjoyment.

Getting a World Cup is just over the top.

One T20 per series, too much?

No, IMO, you every team should play one or two Twenty20's during their home summer. This would be a team playing up to 10 Twenty20's when you include traveling to other countries to tour.

This, IMO is enough.

I agree that the money factor in T-20s is a bit extreme, but umm..a domestic T-20 tournament of your country every year, a WC after every two years, and one T-20 match per series- too much?

Domestic Twenty20 comps are good IMO. The thing is, as a New South Wales born and bred and a New South Wales supporter, we won the Twenty20 Big Bash this year. Indian fans hated Twenty20, and the board didn't want to play in the last World Cup IIRC. You ended up playing, and winning, now every single Indian I know, bar perhaps one, who I haven't actually talked to about Twenty20 (a nice old chap from another forum) who may object to it.

but,in the current scenario,ODI cricket is essentially worthless.

I, and every other cricket traditionalist, would rather watch Test cricket, then one day cricket, then Twenty20. Most of them don't watch Twenty20 regularly, like myself.

Sartaj

Panel of Selectors
Can you please justify your point now?
lol...oh dear!!!
1.lack of entertainment from the overs 21-40 (Generally PowerPlay 2 & 3 are not taken in this period)
2.No interesting battles between the bowler and the batsman to watch (like in test cricket)
3.Not many can spend 7 hours to watch the game.

Jakester1288

School Cricketer
1.lack of entertainment from the overs 21-40 (Generally PowerPlay 2 & 3 are not taken in this period)

That is my favourite part of the game. Watching the batsmen craftily guide the ball around the field and through the gaps rather than having a swipe over cow corner. Great to watch.

2.No interesting battles between the bowler and the batsman to watch (like in test cricket)

I'm assuming you've never watched a One Day game. Are you saying that a batsmen, trying to score quickly, hit more gaps and big shots than in Test cricket, and a bowler trying to prevent this and capture his wicket, is not interesting?

3.Not many can spend 7 hours to watch the game.

Not many can spend the 7 hours watching a full day of Test cricket either. Does this make Test cricket a bad form of cricket?

Sartaj

Panel of Selectors
That is my favourite part of the game. Watching the batsmen craftily guide the ball around the field and through the gaps rather than having a swipe over cow corner. Great to watch.
I don't know what to say.I don't like the crafty stuff.it makes me feel sleepy.

I'm assuming you've never watched a One Day game. Are you saying that a batsmen, trying to score quickly, hit more gaps and big shots than in Test cricket, and a bowler trying to prevent this and capture his wicket, is not interesting?
not interesting enough to me.sorry.

Not many can spend the 7 hours watching a full day of Test cricket either. Does this make Test cricket a bad form of cricket?
Test cricket is different. the game goes on smoothly and we can afford to take a breather once in a while and i can't put it in words sorry.
its just totally different.Its awesome!!! just can't put it in words.

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
The only reason ODIs bore me is predictability. You just know the part-timers will come in the middle over, there will be 4-5 men in the deep, batsmen will be happy with singles. When the good bowlers come on looking for wickets at that stage, or when people like Murali and Mendis are operating, then it gets fun. Last ten overs are fun, the new ball play is a lot of fun...

age of the fall

International Cricketer
BC, are you really a test fan? Seems a bit dodgy.

For me at least, I rate the formats as Test-ODI- T20. The only 20/20 I really enjoy and follow is the world cup and NZ/England domestic. IPL is crap IMO. Add the champions trophy and all these other BS leagues popping up and all the 20/20 is too much.

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
India was the only team without a domestic T20 comp before the 2007 WC. The BCCI picked a bunch of youngsters and rested the main guys. Tendulkar pulled out cause he felt that format was silly and not for him. Indians fans generally didn't care. What he said was right.

nz0003

International Cricketer
Test cricket is different. the game goes on smoothly and we can afford to take a breather once in a while and i can't put it in words sorry.
its just totally different.Its awesome!!! just can't put it in words.

You're unbelievable. Log off. Now.

khalek

Panel of Selectors
I dont really hate T20 but it is way too unpredictable and cricket is better off with only one or two teams dominating and competing each other which creates a bit of rivalry but here in T20 there is nothing called rivalry, its the team that scores quicker and bowls tighter wins the match but thats fine with me but nowadays T20 is becoming more and more like ODI cricket with sudden collapses in the batting and batsmen are starting to rebuild innings which is just like ODI cricket and that suits only to ODIs and its nothing different or unique. I really enjoyed the first edition of the IPL and the world T20 but this year both of the tournaments were pure torture and put me to sleep. Last year I stayed awake till midnight for the semis and final but this year I didn't even feel like watching the half of the innings. This clearly shows T20 is the one that won't survive long enough, its being overkilled.

Imagine having a 5 match T20 series, man that would seriously suck.

Last edited:

King Cricket

International Coach
@ Zorax: That's not true. The BCCI did organize a domestic T-20 comp before the WC. I still remember it, most probably Tiwary was the highest run getter, Dhoni was the captain of a team...have you forgotten?

Hooper

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Yes, anyday.

Twenty20 is terrible. I wish we lived in a world without it. Poor players can actually go well my closing their eyes and taking a swing. It's just hit and giggle. Twenty20 cricket is the worst form of cricket to watch and to play, by a mile. I'm not even going to go into my rage state.
Just look at Dave Warner, no better then myself IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread