Zimbabwe Tri-Series Discussion

BlaizFlare

Club Cricketer
Profile Flag
Pakistan
With Australia's next assignment after their disastrous England ODI Series with a newly faced Australia and an unfortunate whitewash, is in Zimbabwe. ODI and T20I are different things obviously, but, they can convert what they learn in this series for ODI preparation.

With the whitewash, you'd wonder if they could collapse to Zimbabwe like this, you never know, and, I hope it doesn't happen, but, we never know do we?

Pakistan, coming to Zimbabwe with a good tour of Ireland, England and Scotland, by beating Ireland in their maiden test, drawing the English series, and "whitewashing" the Scottish in T20Is, it'll be a good way to hopefully test out some new blood for Pakistan, as they will most likely rest Mohammad Amir for the tour of Zimbabwe (there's also a bilateral ODI series following the Tri-Series) to keep him fresh and fit for the Asia Cup in September.

In a way, the "preparation" for Australia for the 2019 World Cup to defend their title is pretty similar to Pakistan's Champions Trophy preparation, as Mohammad Amir returned for Pakistan, Steve Smith, David Warner and Cameron Bancroft (who returns in December), while the other 2 players will be able to play for Australia again 2-3 months before the World Cup begins (correct me if I'm wrong), Pakistan also conceded the highest total prior to Australia's 3rd ODI, 444-3, which was also ironically against England. Pakistan at the time of the Champions Trophy were the lowest ranked side, meanwhile Australia as of right now, are at a 34 year low 6th. 5th position is Champions Trophy winner, and 6th is 2015 World Cup winner, irony?

Hosts Zimbabwe haven't played any international game after their embarrassing finish to their 2018 World Cup Qualifier campaign which was also hosted in Zimbabwe, after losing to UAE by 3 runs via D/L Method, which meant they could not qualify for the 2019 World Cup for the first time. The Qualifier also came with a lot of backlash, with no DRS in the tournament at all, so a lot of decisions were incorrect, as no DRS was available.

Here are the squads:

Zimbabwe Squad: Hamilton Masakadza (c), Ryan Burl, Brian Chari, Chamu Chibhaba, Elton Chigumbura, Tendai Chisoro, Kyle Jarvis, Wellington Masakadza, Brandon Mavuta, Solomon Mire, Peter Moor (wk), Chris Mpofu, Tarisai Musakanda, Blessing Muzarabani, Ryan Murray, Malcolm Waller, Cephas Zhuwao

Pakistan Squad: Fakhar Zahman, Mohammad Hafeez, Sahibzada Farhan, Haris Sohail, Shoaib Malik, Asif Ali, Hussain Talat, Sarfraz Ahmed (c, wk), Mohamamd Nawaz, Faheem Ashraf, Shadab Khan, Hasan Ali, Shaheen Afridi, Mohammad Amir

Australia Squad: Aaron Finch (c), Alex Carey (vc, wk), Ashton Agar, Travis Head, Nic Maddinson, Glenn Maxwell, Jhye Richardson, Kane Richardson, D'Arcy Short, Billy Stanlake, Marcus Stonis, Mitchell Swepson, Andrew Tye, Jack Wildermuth

The Tr-Series starts on July 2nd, with the finals on 8th July.

Who do you think will win this Tri-Series and take the trophy home?

Last edited:

Salman.

Chairman of Selectors
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Profile Flag
Pakistan
T-20 squad for Triangular Series
1. Fakhar Zaman

2. Muhammad Hafeez

3. Shoaib Malik

4. Asif Ali

5. Hussain Talat

6. Sarfraz Ahmad Captain – WK

7. Harris Sohail

8. Shadab Khan

9. Muhammad Nawaz

10. Faheem Ashraf

11. Hassan Ali

12. Muhammad Amir

13. Usman Khan Shinwari

14. Shaheen Shah Afridi

15. Sahibzada Farhan

ODI Squad
1. Fakhar Zaman

2. Imam ul Haq

3. Muhammad Hafeez

4. Shoaib Malik

5. Baber Azam (Subject to Fitness)

6. Asif Ali

7. Sarfraz Ahmed Captain – WK

8. Muhammad Nawaz

9. Shadab Khan

10. Faheem Ashraf

11. Muhammad Amir

12. Junaid Khan

13. Usman Khan Shinwari

14. Yasir Shah

15. Hassan Ali

16. Harris Sohail[DOUBLEPOST=1529680476][/DOUBLEPOST]Asif Ali in ODI squad as well? Guy hasn't even performed that well in T20s and has a pathetic average. And Amir was supposed to rest, why is he here?

BlaizFlare

Club Cricketer
Profile Flag
Pakistan
To be honest, I think he got in because of the PSL final innings, after Kamran bhai sahib dropped the catch. And, I thought Yasir Shah was injured? Amir is most likely gonna be rested, and where'd you get that squad from, because I could've sworn they said they'd announce it this Saturday.

I'm also keen that in the ODI squad, Haris Sohail will replace him unless he is 100% fit again.

BlaizFlare

Club Cricketer
Profile Flag
Pakistan
And also, I just found out that Amir hasn't been rested upon Mickey Arthur's request.

Prequel

User Title Purchaser
AUS..
Brisbane Heat
Profile Flag
Australia
I'm really hoping Australia will win the series, hoping they punch back.

BlaizFlare

Club Cricketer
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Pakistan also looking strong, so, should be a good contest, but I am expecting some good cricket from the Aussies.

Velocity

International Coach
India
SRH...
Avengers
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Pakistan will easily win this, Australia has lost all their confidence and Zimbabwe has many problems within their board. I hope the Aussies give a good fight, but surely Pakistan will clinch this with the emergence of exciting youngsters in their team.

BlaizFlare

Club Cricketer
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Heh, I mean you never know, with the FIFA World Cup Underdog craze going on, it might give some luck to Zimbabwe. Australia has the players, they're just not showing 100% intent in my opinion and are losing it at crunch moments.

Perfect Square

No Corners
PAK...
CSK
LQ
MS
Sydney Sixers
Brisbane Heat
Birmingham Phoenix
The Boys
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Australia have a good line-up but they have found themselves trashed and knocked out recently. They need to pick themselves up now.

On the other hand Pakistan has been dominant in T20s for a while now. They have a very strong bowling unit to defend and with Malik and Sarfraz getting back to their forms. I'll say Pakistan are favorites to win this tri-series.

And for Zimbabwe. I don't expect a clinical performance from them. But hey it's T20. So you never know what can happen.

RichieBGM

Associate Captain
I'm really hoping Australia will win the series, hoping they punch back.
Ditto. This is practically the same top 6 that were humiliated by England. Are the selectors kidding. Hello.. Pakistan are better spin bowlers than England. Plus we require a wristie of quality. Only one in the squad is carrying drinks.

Last edited:

Prequel

User Title Purchaser
AUS..
Brisbane Heat
Profile Flag
Australia
The Billdozer rips through Pakistan.

Prequel

User Title Purchaser
AUS..
Brisbane Heat
Profile Flag
Australia
I can go to sleep happy. Great win Aussies.

Users who are viewing this thread