Your Cricket Zorax's Tennis Ball Cricketing Exploits/Bowling Practice Diary Like Thread Thingy

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
Online Cricket Games Owned
Unfortunately, I couldn't go for cricket today due to other plans.

I plna to go next on Sunday (tommorrow), Thursday then Saturday again. Hopefully I'll be able to!

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
Take the bus :p

Today was another match.
First was 5 - a - side with a jack (batted and fielded for both teams), 9 overs, I wasn't skipper. Walked in with us about 40 runs in four overs. I batted alright, turned strike around, picked up ones and twos, some dots, and no boundaries. Got bowled by this really quick bowler when trying to sweep him, I though it was outside legstump, but clearly I was wrong. He took four wickets in all, we had to defend 57. Their team was quite a bit stronger in all departments, we had just a slightly better bowling side but that guy was just too good.
So my first over had 13 runs off it, with a six and a four. I didn't think I bowled badly at all, just bowled it maybe a bit too straight and they got good connection on it. But the others also joined to bowl well, to the point where they needed 1 run to win in 3 overs with the jack (crappy bat) and the good bowler (crappy bat as well) batting. 2 wickets and a tie. But he inside edged one past the stumps, and they won.
I pretty much marshalled the fielding despite not being skipper, and felt we did the best we could with a low target.

We then played a second 4 a side, 4 overs match which I didn't care too much about. I was skipper, but gave everyone a chance to bat and bowl. I myself was bowled in the second ball! Trying to pull, bowled around my legs. I've been bowled around my legs 3 times now, i think I should stop shuffling across when I bat and try to play straight a bit more. That might be my problem. I was exhausted coming on to bowl, and the fielders couldn't give a damn, so two fours and a six and they won with an over to spare.

But what I was looking forward to was bowling with the hard ball. Two guys stayed back to play a bit. One this young kid who I feel is an excellent player for his age but needs more chances. Lacks confidence in his bowling since he bowls legspin and gets thwacked with tennis ball, but I can see the talent in him. He is too slow and short to bowl pace, and all he can bowl is legspin, but he bowls some absolute beauties and I always give him an over when I'm skipper.
Anyways, we did some bowling practice and another guy stayed back to bat. I asked him not too, but he didn't listen, and one of my deliveries almost took his head off! Pitched around his feet and ripped off the sandy surface.

Bowling wise, I think I did well. I've shortened my runup further, and didn't bowl and loopy, useless fulltosses, so that was good. My length was maybe a bit on the short side, but I got some on the right length and ripped them well. Oly problem I found was that I wasn't pitching a great line (around or outside off), but felt a lot more confident in my bowling and I don't think I'll be bowling many more fulltosses anymore. I think I've gained that degree of accuracy. I also decided to try out bowling some googlies, but got a mixed bag. My action changed, and one spun like a sharp legbreaks whereas others didn't spin. So I guess they are a work in progress.

But overall, my bowling is going fine, and I fell I'm in the best bowling form of my life. I want to spend more time batting though, I'll probably vouch to be skipper again and open the batting if we bat first so that someone bats through. Bowling wise, it is a little tricky. I angle and spin the ball in, so I have little room for error, so I might just bowl more straight up stuff and more yorkerish length unless we have a big score and I can afford to bowl that.

Insomniac

Title Recipient
Im in Sharjah for now on a vacation...
Visit Sharjah Cricket Stadium -

I visited it, you just walk in...

Its like an abandoned lot, but when I went, some people were organizing a game.

They've also left everything for your usage, a pitch roller, boundary rope, and anything else you might possibly need.

Dunno what the situation is now, but this was about 1 year and 1/2 back

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
The last I heard there are coaching sessions being held there. A family member of mine goes there and I want to join them. It is also hosting matches (such as the Ramadan T20 tournament). So I don't think he can just walk in there...

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
More cricket today! But I'm really tired so I'll keep it short.

6 a side, 10 over game, keeper of the bowling side.

We loss the toss, had to bowl first. I was given the ball to open the bowling, and struck gold. Got the first guy out caught behind off a thick edge on the second ball, and a second guy bowled two balls later. They got a four, the first over yeilded 2 wickets for 6 runs! :)
However, that is when their skipper walked in and the carnage started. 18 after 2 overs. I returned. Got pasted for over 20 runs in that one, although one was a missed catch and one wasn't such a bad ball.
The carnage from him continued as pretty much anything from his bat found the gap or soared over the fielders. 6 overs, they were 88.
Thats when we pulled in back though. My next over was a nice one, including a snarling bouncer to this dangerman, and our best bat rolled his arm over for two tight overs. We restricted them to 107 in 10 overs, with 108 to win.
Our openers set off on a blaze, 12 after 1, 26 after two, and 40 after 3. Our fifty came up in 3.5, we were steamrolling them. However, we did lose a wicket, and the pair in were our best batsmen. This includes the guy who I mentioned earlier that I batted with. He is in brilliant form.
Anyways, they took us to needing 32 in 4 overs, till one of them got out (not the guy I batted with, the other one). Then things got tricky. Our skipper came, the equation went down to 22 in two overs, and he fell. The next guy fell with us needing 18 in 8. I walked in.
And a wide. 17 in 8. And then I played an missed, but the keeper missed it too, so we stole a bye. 16 in one. I had pulled a muscle earlier while fielding, and found it hard to run, so I called for a runner.
First ball, I kept my eye on it, outside off, WHAM, but the bat was a crap one and the ball just went in the air and fell behind the bowler as they stole a single. 15 in 5.
Next ball, single by the good bat. 14 in 4.
Then, outside off, heavier bat, swing and a miss! 14 in 3.
Next ball, shortish, wound up, and it just shot up and went over my head! The keeper missed it and they stole a bye, and I was sure I had messed this up for us, but it was declared a no-ball as it was well over my head, and so it came down to 12 in 3!
Next ball, a dead ball! Ooh...the tension
Next ball, KABLAM! He smashes it for six, 6 in 2, brilliant!
Next ball, biffed down the ground. Looked like a certain four, but it held up! They still managed to run two, and the equation was now four in one ball! Apparently, he had done it before, all were nervous...
Next ball, full and outside off, and an absolutely beautiful drive through the offside. A chase for their weakest fielder, he got nowhere close as it crossed the boundary! A four, we had won! Woohoo!

I did no bowling practice due to pulling my leg muscle, but amazed the kids in my building with my mastery over legspin, offspin and left arm spin in the short passage where they play, as well as astounding them with my fielding and batting abilities :p

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
Exciting :p

You should record a match and upload it on youtube, they sound like they'd be fun to watch!

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
I would like to do that once myself actually...but I'll need a camera and such. We'll see though...never say never ;)

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
My phone can only record about 4 minutes due to a lack of space, and I can't record myself bowlig can I...

Users who are viewing this thread