|Your Favourite Actor & Actress | Discussions

AkshayS

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Actors: Tom Cruise, Bruce Willis, Al Pacino, Sir Ben Kingsley, Johnny Depp, Nicholas Cage, Morgan Freeman

P Squared

International Coach
Actors- Al Pacino, Johnny Depp.
Actress - Don't have one.

6ry4nj

International Coach
They don't seem to write roles that allow women to show they're great actors anymore. I have to go back to Katharine Hepburn to think of impressive acting by a woman. Then way back to Elizabeth Taylor, Bette Davis and Garbo.

There are a few who I suspect might have been good more recently. Sigourney Weaver and Cate Blanchett are the first that spring to mind. And Jodie Foster. Maybe Meryl Streep. But I can't think of examples (ie. of good acting) so I can't back that up.

Some phenomenal teenage girl actors on the other hand - Hayley Mills, Linda Blair, Kate Maberly, Megan Follows, Kirsten Dunst.

The best actor I've ever seen has to be Ben Kingsley. He can electrify literally anything. But I'm surprised no-one's mentioned Tommy Lee Jones. And Alan Rickman (Galaxy Quest, Dogma, etc.)!

Last but by no means least - to the eye-candy. Won't dwell on this area too much - just the two names: Colin Farrell and Drew Barrymore. Not necessarily in that order...

Near

Club Cricketer
Hollywood actor:Tom Cruise,Leonardo Di Caprio
Bollywood actor:Emraan Hashmi,Shah Rukh Khan
Hollywood actress:yet to decide
Bollywood actress:yet to decide

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
They don't seem to write roles that allow women to show they're great actors anymore. I have to go back to Katharine Hepburn to think of impressive acting by a woman. Then way back to Elizabeth Taylor, Bette Davis and Garbo.

There are a few who I suspect might have been good more recently. Sigourney Weaver and Cate Blanchett are the first that spring to mind. And Jodie Foster. Maybe Meryl Streep. But I can't think of examples (ie. of good acting) so I can't back that up.

Some phenomenal teenage girl actors on the other hand - Hayley Mills, Linda Blair, Kate Maberly, Megan Follows, Kirsten Dunst.

The best actor I've ever seen has to be Ben Kingsley. He can electrify literally anything. But I'm surprised no-one's mentioned Tommy Lee Jones. And Alan Rickman (Galaxy Quest, Dogma, etc.)!

Last but by no means least - to the eye-candy. Won't dwell on this area too much - just the two names: Colin Farrell and Drew Barrymore. Not necessarily in that order...

Well, you can name Dame Judi Dench, Dame Helen Mirren, Cate Blanchett and Helena Bonham-Carter among others. :)

Drew Barrymore is a lot more than just eye-candy and she has stood the test of time as child and adult; there are many cute child actors that don't make the transition - Mcaulay Caulkin for one - what has he really done as an adult actor? He looks like a right weirdo now as well - all that childish cuteness has gone for sure:

macaulay-culkin.jpg

Farrel's a good actor as well - he was great in Phone Booth.

6ry4nj

International Coach
Well, you can name Dame Judi Dench, Dame Helen Mirren, Cate Blanchett and Helena Bonham-Carter among others. :)

You may be right, and I mentioned Blanchett, but I can't think of examples and I'm far from having seen everything they do anyway. If it's Dame Judi's turn in the Bond films you're referring to, I'm not disagreeing but proudly stating I won't ever see them:) so can't comment.

Helen Mirren's gorgeous as a woman and nice as a person, but I haven't seen impressive acting from her. Pretty sure I'd remember.

There are some roles you get where it's hard not to be impressive, such as Mirren as the Queen. But that actually makes it harder rather than easier to showcase your acting talent.

Bonham-Carter's had some memorable roles (eg. chimpwoman, bride of Frankenstein), definitely a contender for most versatile, but I personally haven't seen particularly good acting from her.

The best large-screen acting from a woman I have finally been able to recall is by none of the above - Julia Roberts in Erin Brockovich. Again a role that it would be hard not to be good in, but I think she excelled even beyond expectations.

On the small screen (up till now!...;)), a number of Joss Whedon's actors (Buffy/Angel, Firefly/Serenity) are ones to watch for the near future: Alyson Hannigan, Morena Baccarin, Summer Glau and Jewel Staite.

Drew Barrymore is a lot more than just eye-candy and she has stood the test of time as child and adult;

Farrel's a good actor as well - he was great in Phone Booth.

I meant eye-candy as a compliment in both cases, certainly not as an insult! They both bring beautiful personalities/'presences' to their roles on the screen. Personally I liked Farrell better in Minority Report.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Isn't he a major voice over actor now in Children's films/TV? Or am I thinking of someone else?

Maybe, I'm not sure - I don't recall that but either way, he isn't doing anything actually 'on screen'. Voice acting is a very lucrative branch of the profession however, so if he is doing that, he's not short of a penny or two. Still looks like an oddball though.

Themer

Chairman of Selectors
I've just checked, he's done some voice over work but barely anything to be honest. Looks very dodgy.

P

pcfan123

I fail to see what his looks have to do with his acting, Steve Buscemi looks like a pedophile but he is a fantastic actor.

Themer

Chairman of Selectors
Maybe he is a paedophile on the sly? If you look dodgy you are dodgy in my books. Joke

Aswin8

Chairman of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
katrina kaif,emma watson
vijay,shahrukh khan

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
I fail to see what his looks have to do with his acting, Steve Buscemi looks like a pedophile but he is a fantastic actor.

Agreed - Buscemi looks very odd indeed, but he is a very good actor.

Maybe he is a paedophile on the sly? If you look dodgy you are dodgy in my books. Joke

That's just judging a book by its cover. It's one thing to say that someone looks weird, but to say that automatically means they are weird isn't right. There was a girl who joined my singing class years back - tall, slim, gorgeous basically. So, I assumed she'd go up there and start singing average songs with an average voice (as a lot of your good looking 'pop singers' do). Completely incorrect - not only did she have an amazing voice, but over the next few weeks, she bought in everything from opera to jazz and did a great job with all the genres she bought in.

You shouldn't judge books by their cover. ;)

Themer

Chairman of Selectors
That was a joke Tom, there's white text there. You shouldn't judge a post by its cover.

Users who are viewing this thread