2nd T20I England v Australia at Melbourne

ferg512

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
Geez, Lee wasn't too convincing there at the end, where are his toe crushers??

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Is Finch is on our WC squad ??

Nope.
Geez, Lee wasn't too convincing there at the end, where are his toe crushers??

Lee is usually pretty dodgy at the death, if hes in the ODI side then we need to find another death bowler. He'll be good just after the ball change where he should get reverse swing but without it he can come onto the bat nicely.

offdriven4

Club Cricketer
Considering the size of some the aussies(no offence intended,but you've got some big ol' units in that side) they were desceptively mobile in the field,well done...

WORLD CHAMPIONS

PC Battrick Cup Champion S17
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Finch should have been in our WC squad, he can score runs quick.

ferg512

International Coach
Lee is usually pretty dodgy at the death, if hes in the ODI side then we need to find another death bowler. He'll be good just after the ball change where he should get reverse swing but without it he can come onto the bat nicely.

Yeah, its just i remember the last time he was in England when he took 5 wickets at Lords and carved them up at the end with some unplayable yorkers. I wouldn't worry too much though, he has always been a great ODI bowler and doesn't have 300 odd ODI wickets for nothing.

Sureshot

Executive member
Colly is looking pretty dodgy out there. I can see him being dropped in the ODI's. With Strauss coming back in, I can't see how you can leave out Trott, as he's one of the best OD players in England. Wright will miss out for Strauss and Colly could struggle to keep his place.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
The T20 WC really did save both of those players. Had England lost it I suspect both would have been punted as neither have done anything in a while. This loss might be just what was needed to get rid of Wright at least, should be Collingwood too but will the English have the balls to drop the skipper.

Sureshot

Executive member
Well, vice-skipper.

For me, Wright will miss out for Strauss. I can't see who else would be dropped from the top six. Bell at 3, Davies opens with Strauss.

Collingwood averaged 35 in ODI's last year, but only 2 50's, one was in Bangladesh, the other was at Lord's vs Aus, he played really well, but ended up on the losing side. The thing is, he looks so out of nick.

I just don't see how you can leave Trott out, I know Colly is a great fielder and fills in overs with the ball, but Trott/KP could do that if needed. The runs from Trott are more important, what with it being a 7-match series, perhaps they will rotate the two?

Again I will reiterate, I just don't see how can you leave Trott out, he's too good a player to not be in the ODi side.

Sureshot

Executive member
Wasn't really his fault was it? Captain was looking for another spinner.

Wright has been constantly under bowled by England, he's a good death bowler.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Wasn't really his fault was it? Captain was looking for another spinner.

Wright has been constantly under bowled by England, he's a good death bowler.

Or maybe they are underbowling him because they dont trust/rate his bowling much anymore?

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Aaron Finch's batting, guess he could make the squad.

He could make the squad - but is he really any better than either Marsh/Ferguson/Dave Hussey? I think the other spots are locked: Watson, Haddin, Ponting, Clarke, White and Mike Hussey with almost certainly be the top 6, it's just a matter of finding the right reserve. That's why Dave's suddenly popped up. He could be a reserve middle order player AND reserve all-rounder. None of the other 3 have that flexibility. I like the idea behind that, but Dave Hussey's done crap all in OD cricket recently. To me Brad Hodge can bowl almost as well as D.Hussey and his form is WAY better with bat.

Considering the size of some the aussies(no offence intended,but you've got some big ol' units in that side) they were desceptively mobile in the field,well done...

I thought the Aussie fielding last night was FANTASTIC. Honestly the best I've seen them field for a while. Anything from Steve Smith and Dave Warner excellent diving to cut off shots, England couldn't get a 2 to Brett Lee all night and all the chances were held well. Great stuff.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
You have to be careful with what you try to transfer from one format to another.

Hussey's darts are tidy in T20, but there's no evidence to suggest he's all-rounder quality in a longer game. It's the sort of bowling that is good as long as you can accept 5-6 singles an over in most conditions. I'd actually argue that Hodge is significantly better.

I see more of a niche for Finch's strength. I don't know if you can count on getting a 'bunsen burner' for an ODI wicket, but you can probably expect to see surfaces as slow as that. Although I'd still be hesitant to back a player who hasn't done a whole lot domestically, he has the potential to win matches and that carries a player some distance.

Users who are viewing this thread