Your Cricket The Art of Offspin.

When im trying to spin the ball my thumb stays in contact right up till release is that a problem?

I see a lot of vids of spinners saying the thumb doesnt play a part, i find it hard to not rest my thumb on the ball,

Would this effect how much spin i can gain or not?

When im trying to spin the ball my thumb stays in contact right up till release is that a problem?

I see a lot of vids of spinners saying the thumb doesnt play a part, i find it hard to not rest my thumb on the ball,

Would this effect how much spin i can gain or not?

Only if your thumb affects the release, and/or seam position. Seam position is crucial for spin-bowlers, and if you can present the seam your off-spin will surely be better?

The thumb shouldn't do much, if you're spinning of the rough.

hey guys, i started some weeks ago to get interested in spin bowling.
in this video you will see my first tries EVER......
i would like you guys to give me some feedback.....first of all take a look at my arm action. it does more look like a throw from my point of view....
we are total beginners from germany, no coaching or stuff like that......
i am the guy in white with the india cap.....
the first few balls were bowled with a hard ball but due to the field conditions (it rained for days) we decided to go on with a rubber ball....
here is the link: YouTube - German Cricket Beginners

thx

Not to bad for a first attempt mate.

Yeah your arm is a bit slingy and you seem to be leaning to far to your right, you need to try and stay as tall and straight as possible, and keep your hand at release as a high as possible,
Lastly try and follow your leg through your action, im only a part time off spinner so im only passing on what ive been told.

Hope that helps.

damn you get bounce and turn and you're not chucking at all! Pretty damn good

well, most of the bounce should be caused by the rubber ball :-)
btw: what does chucking mean??? :-)

----------

Not to bad for a first attempt mate.

Yeah your arm is a bit slingy and you seem to be leaning to far to your right, you need to try and stay as tall and straight as possible, and keep your hand at release as a high as possible,
Lastly try and follow your leg through your action, im only a part time off spinner so im only passing on what ive been told.

Hope that helps.

that helps, i will try to keep that in mind next time

Chucking is throwing the ball or bowling with a slight kink or throwing motion. It's illegal to bowl that way and most newcomers to cricket usually chuck because the bowling action feels unnatural.

you aren't chucking at all, so thats a good sign to see.

Kaos don't worry about your action, it is your own. It looks great, you seem to turn the ball quite a bit.

The only thing i would suggest is come from the other side of the stumps it will get you into a better position for pitching the ball out side the off stump (which you want as a left arm chinaman) and turning back towards leg.

And for a suggestion to the batsman, look at some footage of the likes of Boycott, Vivian Richards, G.Chapplle and of course Don Bradman. Try to emulate someone's style, then build on it and make it your own

And for a suggestion to the batsman, look at some footage of the likes of Boycott, Vivian Richards, G.Chapplle and of course Don Bradman. Try to emulate someone's style, then build on it and make it your own

Or Sachin :yes

The only thing i would suggest is come from the other side of the stumps it will get you into a better position for pitching the ball out side the off stump (which you want as a left arm chinaman) and turning back towards leg.

oh right, that makes sense

----------

yeah, there aren't many professional left arm leg spinners around.

why?? too easy for right handers to smash around???
would make sense to me cause like shown in the video, my mates (right handers) smashed me around when the ball didnt land on a certain spot

hey guys, i started some weeks ago to get interested in spin bowling.
in this video you will see my first tries EVER......
i would like you guys to give me some feedback.....first of all take a look at my arm action. it does more look like a throw from my point of view....
we are total beginners from germany, no coaching or stuff like that......
i am the guy in white with the india cap.....
the first few balls were bowled with a hard ball but due to the field conditions (it rained for days) we decided to go on with a rubber ball....
here is the link: YouTube - German Cricket Beginners

thx

I'm no expert, but I was really impressed - keep it up :)

Can I ask where did you get the artifical pitch? I guess you have the same problem as me that there are no cricket clubs around -I'm from Poland.

I'm no expert, but I was really impressed - keep it up :)

Can I ask where did you get the artifical pitch? I guess you have the same problem as me that there are no cricket clubs around -I'm from Poland.

you got the point, its absolutely the same here....
well the "pitch" is a piece of carpet....you can buy it in every common home improvement market. 22 meters cost some hundred ??s.
but dont expect too much, you wont get a lot of bounce from it. depends on the surface its lying on. we play on an ash field, when its dry its ok, otherwise it isnt that much fun

Users who are viewing this thread