Your Cricket The Art of Offspin.

Lee1981

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
Just thought id put out the other side of the coin to the leg spin thread and see what everyone thinks of offspin as this is what i bowl and would like to hear others techniques and deliverys.

TumTum

International Cricketer
Concept is the same with Legspin, but much easier to control.

But it is very hard to bowl the doosra without chucking. And you don't have the flipper.

Lee1981

International Coach
yeah i agree ive given up trying the doosra at the moment, cant even start to describe how it was coming out my hand, like nothing seen on earth perhaps.

P

pcfan123

Ive always wanted to bowl some left arm offspin. Don't even know the basics though :(

When you bowl an offspinner, is the seam scrambled? or is it scrambled for the one that goes straight on?

iridescentt

Panel of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I used to always want to bowl off-spin rather than leg-spin. But it was just my inability to spin the ball at all that left me with leg-spin.

Lee1981

International Coach
i hold the ball with the seam pointing towards around 3 slip and just try and rip through it as much as i can, sometimes it turns other times just goes straight on i havent got much consistency with it yet.

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
I bowl a lot of off-spin with the tape ball, it's real easy. :P Just as long as you have a nice grip on it.

A smooth, easy, high arm action helps. I can bowl my offbreaks slower or slip them through quickly when in rhythm. Give it more rip to have it hang in the air, or fire them through by holding the ball seam-up.

Only problem is, I've have never tried all this with the hard ball, so don't know if I could do this with that, and that I do end up bowling a few fulltosses or wides with this plan. On, and I almost exclusively operate from around the wicket :p

P

pcfan123

Hmm well im a bit more interested in hearing how its done with a cricket ball. Whether or not we should try to land it on the seam to make it spin more.

I know BBC has some masterclass coaching vids on their site but content is blocked for USA :mad

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
I scramble the seam when bowling it with the tape ball. That adds some surprise. If it hits the seam, it jumps up. If it misses the seam and lands on the side, it will rip and shoot through.

When the seam is flattened, it really doesn't matter as long as you get some good rip on it and deliver it with a nice high arm.

I tried copying Viru and Graeme Smith for my bowling action. Both of them are nice and simple and beautiful to watch, they've inspired my current bowling action more than anyone.

P

pcfan123

Problem for me is everytime I try to "rip it" I drop it really short

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
High arm. I release it really early when I give the ball some rip. It goes slow in the air and is nicely flighted.

And when I'm not ripping the ball, it comes out later from my and and a flatter trajectory.

And then when I try to fire it in, I hold it seam it and shoot it in a tad short.

And when you have a brand new tape ball with a prominent seam, and you toss one up and give it huge rip, and it land perfectly on just a good length on about middle and legstump, and the batsman lunges forward, already beaten by the flight and with no idea how the ball will spit off the pitch, and honestly, you have no clue either...the excitement is brilliant.

P

pcfan123

I do love that about tape ball, you never know how much it will turn and it can make you look brilliant!

Lee1981

International Coach
ive only played using a real cricket ball and the one thing i got to sort out is my run up its a bit random havent found anything that im 100% comfortable with, i bowled pretty good in the nets the other night got a few to turn and a few went straight which felt good when it came out the hand .
My technique is the turning the "doorknob" way which is the way i think most use.

McLOVIN

Chairman of Selectors
Off spin is not an art!! Rip off thread!

Off spin is easier to bowl, easier to control.

Less variations

Warne >>> Kumble > Murali

Lee1981

International Coach
Off spin is not an art!! Rip off thread!

Off spin is easier to bowl, easier to control.

Less variations

Warne >>> Kumble > Murali

well its not easier to bowl if someone aint very good at either way,
so take your negative opinions back to the leg spin thread you "james blunt".
Thats english slang just to help you out...

Users who are viewing this thread