Your Cricket The Art of Offspin.

Lee1981

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
Bowled some lovely offies in the nets tonight managed to produce a dream ball through the gate turned a good 9 inches hit top of off.
I was keeping my arm as high as i could for once and it improved my consistency a hell of a lot.

riz7khan12

Panel of Selectors
im a left arm off spinner, and i get the ball where i want it, and the seam is horizontal, but it hardly ever spins (the hard ball). my special ball is a 15km/h ball (googly) which goes really high and after it bounces it hits the batsman around neck-upper chest level. works real well with tail enders :p

Lee1981

International Coach
im thinking of trying to add some variation to my bowling like an arm ball, how is this done, i asume maybe you hold the ball in a fast bowlers type grip and try to put it in a bit faster than an off break, please correct me if im wrong.

P

pcfan123

My take on the arm ball has been to deliver it exactly like the off spinner except for the actual ripping/spinning part. Just let it slide out of the offspinners grip and it will go straight on with no disernable difference in your action.

Lee1981

International Coach
yeah i guess that makes sense really, blimey ashley giles made a good living throwing down those arm balls dont think i ever see him turn a thing.

P

pcfan123

Try to dig up some youtube videos of Vettoris arm ball and pay close attention to his fingers. His grip stays the same the entire time and the ball just leaves his hand without him putting any rip on him.

Dare say his arm ball is the best in the business right now

hedger_14

ICC Chairman
I bowl off-spin and vary my pace and everything. I've got the quick off-spinner, normal off-spinner and really flighted off-spinner along with the really quick arm-ball and just an arm-ball which is about the pace of my normal off-spinners and then I have got the doosra which I've only bowled in a game once. I bowl it a lot in training though.

hedger_14 added 1 Minutes and 30 Seconds later...

I would have to say that the arm-ball works best if you're a left-handed bowler as most batsman are right handed and you can slde it in to them.

riz7khan12

Panel of Selectors
i try bowling a arm ball but cant control where it goes, most of the times i just drop it short :facepalm but i guess with practice i could improve it. but i am a batsman, i should really focus on that.:p

Lee1981

International Coach
Try to dig up some youtube videos of Vettoris arm ball and pay close attention to his fingers. His grip stays the same the entire time and the ball just leaves his hand without him putting any rip on him.

Dare say his arm ball is the best in the business right now

I think i must bowl the arm ball without realising as sometimes i go to spin it an actually dont get anything on it and it goes straight on unintentionaly,
Im a bettter bowler than i thought :laugh

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
I do the seam up grip.

I have three deliveries. The stock offbreak, where I just roll my fingers over the ball. The big ripping offbreak, my favourite deliver. Big turn, well flighted, drifts in the air. I feel that should be my stock ball, but it works a lot better as a variation and catches batsmen off-guard. And then the seam-up grip.

Next time I play I'll try using my big-ripping one as the stock ball and just slide the ball out for the arm ball and see how that goes...

Lee1981

International Coach
I do the seam up grip.

I have three deliveries. The stock offbreak, where I just roll my fingers over the ball. The big ripping offbreak, my favourite deliver. Big turn, well flighted, drifts in the air. I feel that should be my stock ball, but it works a lot better as a variation and catches batsmen off-guard. And then the seam-up grip.

Next time I play I'll try using my big-ripping one as the stock ball and just slide the ball out for the arm ball and see how that goes...

when your bowling your big ripper do you aim the seam towards say 3 oclock ie; completely horizontal or more towards 1-2 oclock ie; slip region.

Lee1981

International Coach
i thought that to be honest, ive only just reverted to bowling towards slips and it spins so much more than towards 3 oclock,
thanks for the advice.

Users who are viewing this thread